PDA

View Full Version : what is this? and how do i kill it?

beachtownlawnservice
07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
what is this and how do i get rid of it? one of my customers yard is full of it.

R & R Yard Designs
07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
henbit it what it looks to be 100%

Craig3
07-23-2010, 12:10 PM
henbit it what it looks to be 100%
I concur. Spraying kills it quite effectively here.

Snapper12
07-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Are you sure it's not ground ivy? Either way 2-4-D.

Think Green
07-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Beachtown,
I believe that is Ground Ivy--Creeping Charlie (Glechoma Hederacea).
Look at the long stems and globed serrated- ribbed leaves.
I would hope that if that weed is a henbit species it would have been gone by now as this weed dies in the heat. It sprouts from the past seasons seeds in the cooler fall months and in the spring month.
Spots like this on properties along sidewalks, driveways, etc. have weak stands of dense turfgrass making it easy for invasion. This weed will produce root nodes at each bract and start to root...........just like a strawberry vine or wild strawberry.
3-way chemcials with Dicamba at repeat applications will rid of this weed........depending on the grass at hand......applications of triclopyr and 2-4D will control it. The thing to do is be careful of how close you line trim around the borders of the lawn and encourage watering and careful fertilizing of these areas to create a dense turf.

CHARLES CUE
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Thats not ground ivy

Charles Cue

Think Green
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
well Charles,
You commented............what the hades is it???
I am telling the rest of the masses that this weed is not henbit, chickweed,etc.

beachtownlawnservice
07-25-2010, 07:55 PM
well im in galveston tx. and it 98+ degrees here every day. so its heat tolerant.
and this guys yard is covered in it bad. i mow his grass weekly and when i show up these weeds have grown up to 1ft high, im really new to this so i figured il ask you guys for some advice on to get rid of it.

CHARLES CUE
07-25-2010, 08:15 PM
well Charles,
You commented............what the hades is it???
I am telling the rest of the masses that this weed is not henbit, chickweed,etc.

I didn't .

Don't take affiance. [spelling ?]

I don't know what it is.

But i do know what it's not.

I don't know about herbert don't see that either.

I don't just blurt out if i don't know.

I have never seen this weed.

Go to weed alert by PBI Gorden and go threw all the weeds they have.

Or take it to your county ag dept I bet they will know.

I would spray it with a 3 way and see what happens.

Charles Cue

grass4gas
07-25-2010, 10:32 PM
I believe it is henbit for 2 reasons...

First, look at the top center of the picture, it appears that there is a blue flower present. Henbit will flower, ground ivy does not.

Second, ground ivy spreads and lays flat, whereas henbit will spread, but also grows upright.

Use a 3-way or any product with triclopyr...problem solved.

That is my final answer.

beachtownlawnservice
07-25-2010, 10:43 PM
it does have a blueish purple flower on top