PDA

View Full Version : Nutgrass

pepper
07-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some advice on Nutgrass. I put in a flower bed for a guy down here in Texas. There were some existing roses and small shrubs and a few Crepe Myrtles inside this bed when I started and he wanted to leave them. I dug it out, replaced the topsoil, laid heavy landscape fabric and mulch. No problems 3 months later with any other weeds except the Nutgrass. I have been pulling it every other week and spraying Kilzall every other week after I mow his yard to keep it in check. This is very tedious because of the shrubs and flowers throughout the bed. There has been only slight improvement over the past 3 months. Any suggestions how I can put this flower bed behind me and kill this Nutgrass once and for all. I appreciate any and all advice guys. Thanks a bunch

tlcgrounds
07-29-2002, 09:33 PM
I belive the plant is called Nutsedge. long thin blades and easy to pull. I use round up. Ask your local estension office what to use.

pepper
07-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Roundup is the same as Kilzall. The problem is all the shrubs and flowers around. You can't get very close to the shrubs or the Roundup will kill them also. Also with Nutsedge I don't think the Roundup will affect the tubers underground which is essentially the main problem with Nutgrass. Maybe I just need to cover the shrubs with plastic and spray at will. It just seems like there should be something out there that won't do so much damage to wanted plants. Thanks

ohiolawnguy
07-29-2002, 10:03 PM
nutsedge is spread by rhizome, and technically not a grass. it is fairly easy t pull, but roots will then remain and show up again a week or so later. roundup will work, any 3-way type chemical (3-way, trimec, etc.) will not work to kill nutsedge.

if you are having difficulty in eradicating in a bed, or would like to get rid of nutsedge in your lawn, a chemical known as manage works extremely well.

hope this helps some.

pepper
07-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Yeah, Roundup is the same as Kilzall. The problem is all the shrubs and flowers around. You can't get very close to the shrubs or the Roundup will kill them also. Also with Nutsedge I don't think the Roundup will affect the tubers underground which is essentially the main problem with Nutgrass. Maybe I just need to cover the shrubs with plastic and spray at will. It just seems like there should be something out there that won't do so much damage to wanted plants. Thanks

pepper
07-29-2002, 10:20 PM
Where can I find Manage. Thanks for your help.

ohiolawnguy
07-29-2002, 10:34 PM
well, i know that lesco sells it. im sure that other fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide, dealers sell it as well. im can't remember what company makes it right off the top of my head, but i can find out tomorrow.

ohiolawnguy
07-29-2002, 10:40 PM
ok, manage is made by monsanto.

if you want more information on nutsedge,and how to control it, check out this website

nusedge (http://www.nutsedge.com)

pepper
07-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Thanks, Ohiolawnguy. I'm going to try it. Thanks for all the help guys. I usually don't have a lot of time to spend on this site, but when I do I really enjoy it. Looking forward to the winter.

Pepper

Mowingman
07-29-2002, 11:54 PM
I use a product called "Image". It seems to not harm anything but nutsedge. I use it on turf and in beds. It is kind of expensive and takes usually 2 or 3 applications to get all the nutsedge. However, it really works good. You should be able to get it at Lowes or Home Depot.:)

ipm
07-31-2002, 10:15 PM
Somebody mentioned "Image". That will work as a post emergent. I would get some kind of pre emergent down as well. Make sure the ornamentals you are top spraying are labeled as non-target plants.

Through the years i have also noticed that nutsedge likes to grow in very wet soil. You can try to lighten up on the irrigation(if that is the case).

burnandreturn
09-06-2004, 02:47 PM
What would the long range effects of using a flame thrower/weed burner on the flower beds around my own home. Would the soil be totally sterilized and essentially dead? We used to use tractorswith boom flame throwers in Florida to burn our pastures and the grass came back much better. Nutsedge is the only thing in the flower beds right now. After reading here I see why pulling the nutsedge just made it thicker.

Premo Services
09-06-2004, 03:29 PM
nutsedge is spread by rhizome, and technically not a grass. it is fairly easy t pull, but roots will then remain and show up again a week or so later. roundup will work, any 3-way type chemical (3-way, trimec, etc.) will not work to kill nutsedge.

if you are having difficulty in eradicating in a bed, or would like to get rid of nutsedge in your lawn, a chemical known as manage works extremely well.

hope this helps some.

Yup, I have had good results with manage, both in lawns and landscape areas. It is labled for both areas. Just make sure to add the proper amount of surfactant to it also.

kootoomootoo
09-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Drive works great on nutsedge.

MrBarefoot
09-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Drive works great on nutsedge.

That is good news. I haven't tried Drive on Nutsedge before, because the label doesn't list it among the weeds it controls. But I will give it a shot.

Hey, how well does Drive work on Violets? I haven't tried that either.

I have been using Drive on Crabgrass only.

kootoomootoo
09-06-2004, 11:15 PM
I dont understand either why basf dont list nutsedge. Went by 3 houses I treated two weeks ago and it is DEAD.

Coffeecraver
09-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Manage with surfactant