PDA

View Full Version : Bluebird 22seeder

lungs414
07-24-2010, 05:35 PM
I am a homeowner on long island ny, and want to slit seed my lawn. It is a little over an acre. My question is i also need to dethatch. The machine is set up for seeding only, and i would need to buy the flail blade setup or spring tines. Which of these do you guys recommend. I would appreciate any tips also.
Thanks in advance.
Rich
Posted via Mobile Device

lungs414
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Can the delta reel that comes standard on this do a decent job of dethatching?

wrager
07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't really think so. I have both and use the delta blade for verticutting. The flail blade set up is about $200 IIRC. I would rather aerate and top dress than use flail blades. They destroy everything.
How do you know you have a thatch problem?

lungs414
07-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the response. The lawn looked like crap even with increased watering during our drought, and I had a landscaper doing some other work for me and asked what needed to be done to restore my lawn back to its prior excelllent condition. I cut my lawn with a Hustler and mulch all the time, very rarely do I bag, since i would have to use an old craftsman tractor and that takes an extra 1 1/2 hours, and not nearly as fun as the Hustler. He cut out a part of the lawn and showed me that their was almost 2 inches of thatch. So I got this machine to use since I want to reseed other areas of the lawn damaged when a pool and water feature were put in.
I do know I need to rent an aerator also since it hasn't been done in 5 years that I own the property.
Thanks for all you rhelp.
Rich