PDA

View Full Version : John Deere with fc150v engine run problems

Dartman
07-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi folks, I just signed up here to see if you could offer any pointers as to what is wrong with this thing. I bought it dirt cheap so it's not imparitive that I fix it but it does run mostly so I want to give it a good try to get it working right. It starts mostly OK but then when you pull it off choke it will run a few seconds or longer then die or after it's warm it will sputter and cough then die or maybe try to run till I choke it and then it might pick up again.
I have taken off the carb, freed up the choke linkage, cleaned it fairly well inside and out. I had to replace the main Idle screw on the carb because the old one was snapped off. I dumped the gas tank and cleaned it out too.
It seems as if the automatic throttle system can't keep up and the idle adjustment screw doesn't seem to do a whole lot. I also don't understand what the bleed screw that is close to it does or if it is just screwed down tight or needs to be tweaked also.
The thing has been sitting, is dirty, and appears to have been abused and not maintained for a long time.
It also kind of surges with no load and usually trys to die if I engage the blade unless I choke it and ease it on slowly.
14SB mower
serial gx14sbc229350
jd202

engine Kawasaki
Code FC150v-es00
E/NO FC150B28643

I could use a place to download a manual to help figure this out also if available. I have seen the exploded diagrams on the Kawasaki site but no trouble shooting adjustment info as far as I could tell.
I haven't tuned it up and like that because I'm trying to see if it's a easy fix and worth salvaging, before I waste a lot of money and time on it.
Thanks!

Dartman
08-11-2002, 04:06 AM
Ok I played with it some this weekend and a mower shop gave me a manual for it's newer version they had laying there.
It seems to have problems leaning out the minute the choke releases it will die or run very choppy and die sooner or later.
The manual states that it is normal for it to cycle a bit because of the emissions junk if not under load.
The thing will run pretty well as long as the choke is part way on and as far as I can tell the mixture screw doesn't seem to change anything. I also found out these bad boys in good used shape are still selling for about 300 bucks so I might just take it to that same shop and let them give it a tune/carb rebuild for 75 bucks.
Thats what I was told they charge + any extra parts needed.

I also picked up a couple of weed wackers for 120, one Stilh 065hv or like that and a shindaiwa t27. they both needed fuel cap parts but they were cheap to replace and they both run good.
also got the brush cutter blades for one or both and some of those extra plastic cutter blades. Seemed like a good deal at the time and I'm starting to apreciate this semi pro gear I've been finding cheap.
I paid 10 bucks for that Deere mower so I spose it's worth taking it in if I don't figure it out soon :D

The Mowerdude
08-22-2002, 08:54 PM
It's really difficult to trouble shoot these types of problems, but there is one thing that I would try. I suspect that you have a vacumn leak. It's allowing way too much air into the cylinder and by closing down the choke, you're balancing it all out.

Check for vacumn leaks around the base of the carb and around the intake manifold. The way we do it is to spray some carb cleaner around the areas I just described, while the engine is running. Listen for changes in speed. If you have a vacumn leak, the carb cleaner spray will get sucked into the cylinder and the engine will falter. With a little experimentation, you can find the exact spot. If you don't find anything, at least you've eliminated one possibility without breaking the bank.

Dartman
08-22-2002, 09:02 PM
I went to the site posted and couldn't figure out where to look up my carb anywhere.
I had it off, cleaned it, put some thick greese on the gaskets and torqued it back down didn't change anything. I might try that too, the idle jet doesn't change anything when I adjust it either so matbe it's just shot.
I'll play with it as I feel like it and if worse comes to worse I'll find a carb somewhere.