PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the rear jobs?

paul
07-29-2002, 11:16 PM
Do you ever give bids or estimates on jobs that you don't want to do? Maybe you have done work for them before or just don't like the job they want done. We have a few LA's that like our work but are just a pain to work with. Others are paper work fiend's, requireing sample of all material and explantions for everything you do.

What do YOU do?

Lanelle
07-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Dealing with these can be raised to nearly an art-form level. First, stall---gee I'm really busy but I'll get to you. Then, ask lots of questions and basically require them to furnish lots of written details and clarifications (also called, playing their game) followed by a comfortably high price to make the pain bearable. :rolleyes: If all of that fails, they must really like you, but at least they will pay handsomely for the privilege of liking you. :D

Stonehenge
07-30-2002, 12:08 AM
We run in different circles, but at a residential level, I do a lot of what Lanelle suggests.

But darn it if I don't ALWAYS end up getting those projects, and then still being sorry I bid what I did.

KerryB
07-30-2002, 09:28 PM
I agree with the previous advice and always add in the PITA factor to your price.

ipm
07-31-2002, 12:45 AM
Pain the rear jobs. These are your money makers.
Bid them so you don't get them, and then when you do(CHA-CHING)

Dealing with these can be raised to nearly an art-form level. First, stall---gee I'm really busy but I'll get to you. Then, ask lots of questions and basically require them to furnish lots of written details and clarifications (also called, playing their game) followed by a comfortably high price to make the pain bearable. If all of that fails, they must really like you, but at least they will pay handsomely for the privilege of liking you.

Well said well put:D

Mike (MLC)
07-31-2002, 01:37 AM
I usually bid high to ensure I don't get the job. This has back fired a couple of times on me. I bid an outrageous price and the customer thinks it's wonderful. You may want to tell them you are just to booked up to take any more people. ;)

kris
07-31-2002, 09:38 PM
Running into that right now .... finished a fair size road median job ... they now want a price for about 40 little areas of turf that was damaged when they put sections of sidewalk here and there... pidly, time consuming work ...don't want it ... some what obligated to give them a quote ... wada ya gonna do.

Scag48
07-31-2002, 11:39 PM
I'm finishing up one that was kind of a pain to do. I haven't had any customers that have come back to me and I didn't want to bid, but this job that I'm currently working on/finishing was kind of annoying. The homeowner couldn't make up her mind what she wanted. Couldn't figure out what she wanted where, and changed her mind constantly. I don't think that I will work for her again. I bid too low and that pissed me off, but I guess that's my fault. I didn't think it would be this difficult to work with her but boy was I wrong!