PDA

View Full Version : What kind of grass is this?

MikeKle
07-25-2010, 07:47 PM
This is the grass I was talking about awhile ago, it is extremely hard to cut and looks like strands of hair when cut.

bohiaa
07-25-2010, 07:54 PM
u sure that's grass ?

Looks like weed to me....

if it turns to "hair" your baldes may need sharpening

dgw
07-25-2010, 08:19 PM
looks like celery

BCLawns
07-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Celery grass of the green variety.

MikeKle
07-25-2010, 08:35 PM
It may be a weed, but looks like grass before its cut? There is just a few clumps of this in a few yards of mine, and it is usually around edges of walks and driveways, it looks just like strands of hair after its cut?!!! Even holding the trimmer right on it at full power, it is still hard to chop it off! Ive only seen it in about 3-4 yards, and not much of it, thankfully! I have looked up different types of grasses and weeds, and nothing looks anything like it? I shouldve put something next to it for size, but the length is about 4-5"

topsites
07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
More than likely crab grass, you get the hair like strands because of how tough it is.

cut level
07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
looks and sounds like crabgrass to me

White Gardens
07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
It's not Crabgrass, but is another weedy grass similar to growth cycle as crabgrass.

If I can think of the name I'll post it in the morning.

scagmanjosh
07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Whats the diff. between this and bahia? From pics Ive seen and what Ive been told about the bahia in my own lawn, this looks a lot like it. Slim, tall, pointy blades, in sparse patches. Field grass.

The super-frayed tops seem a bit extreme though. The (supposed) bahia in my back lawn frays a bit when cut, but nothing like this. This is terrible.

Whats tougher to cut? Bahia or Crabgrass? Whats the main differences between the two?

Grubrunner
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
My wife eats Alfalfa Sprout Salad regularly....

Jimslawncareservice
07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
take a pic of it before you wack it all to hell so we can see what it looks like.

Mark Oomkes
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Any fountain grass (Pennisetum) in the area?

myrtle12
07-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Looks like a$$ grass to me.......

Richard Martin
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Can you take a nice clear picture of it before you've hacked it to bits? Good Lord.

Whats tougher to cut? Bahia or Crabgrass? Whats the main differences between the two?

If you've ever cut a lot of both types of grasses the difference is readily apparent.

Bahia stalks grow a foot in a week. Crabgrass can get that tall but it takes a while.

Crabgrass is composed of mostly water. As a result it's always an ugly mess to cut and if you have enough of it it will clog your deck. It has an extremely waxy surface and any rain, dew or other moisture that even gets close to it will stick to it and take all day to dry off.

Crabgrass actually cuts easily.

Bahia is tough to cut, with either the mower or a trimmer. A lot of guys like to trim to the dirt. Bahia will teach you real fast why that's not a smart thing. The higher you cut or trim Bahia the easier it is to cut through. Anything below 2.5" is near impossible.

Bahia also dries out very fast. By the time I get to my second pass it has already dried out and the smaller parts are flying through the air getting into every orface in my body.

White Gardens
07-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I think It's Goose Grass.

http://web2.ento.vt.edu/servlet/wid

Richard Martin
07-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I think It's Goose Grass.

http://web2.ento.vt.edu/servlet/wid

It does look like Goose Grass. If he's mauling it up like that with a trimmer he needs a bigger trimmer, more finger on the throttle or both. He could also try some aggressive trimmer line like Echo Crossfire or something like that. I have one customer that put some pavers in this past winter. Where they disturbed the ground the Goose Grass has really taken over. I have Crossfire .080 on my Shindy 231 and it cuts it clean. To the ground. I have Gatorline Spiroflex .095 or whatever it is on my Stihl FS80. It's not even a real challenge for the Stihl.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Can you take a nice clear picture of it before you've hacked it to bits? Good Lord.

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

If you've ever cut a lot of both types of grasses the difference is readily apparent.

Bahia stalks grow a foot in a week. Crabgrass can get that tall but it takes a while.

Crabgrass is composed of mostly water. As a result it's always an ugly mess to cut and if you have enough of it it will clog your deck. It has an extremely waxy surface and any rain, dew or other moisture that even gets close to it will stick to it and take all day to dry off.

Bahia is tough to cut, with either the mower or a trimmer. A lot of guys like to trim to the dirt. Bahia will teach you real fast why that's not a smart thing. The higher you cut or trim Bahia the easier it is to cut through. Anything below 2.5" is near impossible.

Bahia also dries out very fast. By the time I get to my second pass it has already dried out and the smaller parts are flying through the air getting into every orface in my body.

Yep! You know Bahia! Right now it's the only green grass on my patch of dirt. It's been bad dry here. I tend to mow at 4 inches.

White Gardens
07-26-2010, 06:21 PM
It does look like Goose Grass. If he's mauling it up like that with a trimmer he needs a bigger trimmer, more finger on the throttle or both. He could also try some aggressive trimmer line like Echo Crossfire or something like that. I have one customer that put some pavers in this past winter. Where they disturbed the ground the Goose Grass has really taken over. I have Crossfire .080 on my Shindy 231 and it cuts it clean. To the ground. I have Gatorline Spiroflex .095 or whatever it is on my Stihl FS80. It's not even a real challenge for the Stihl.

Another thought is that it is crows foot.

I have the same grass popping up in my sidewalks and if I let it go too long then it won't cut with the trimmer worth a darn. Basically it ends up shredding it like in the pics.

We talked about this grass in my MG course and for the life of me I can't put my finger on weather it's one of the two.

Runner
07-26-2010, 07:28 PM
That is bentgrass. It almost reminds you of angel hair pasta when you run your fingers through it. If you comb your fingers through it back and forth, it comes up like matted hair, and is 6 to 8 inches long in areas that have been mowed at 3".

Clark Griswold
07-26-2010, 07:36 PM

It was better when you didn't have a PIC of it the first time you asked!

starry night
07-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Any fountain grass (Pennisetum) in the area?

Mark, I guess you were ignored. I agree. Looks and sounds to me like self-seeded fountain grass. The variety Hameln is famous for this.
Seeds can come from nearby beds including from next door or across the street.
There is no selective for it so dig it out or spray to kill.

White Gardens
07-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Mark, I guess you were ignored. I agree. Looks and sounds to me like self-seeded fountain grass. The variety Hameln is famous for this.

Didn't you read the actual post. The pic is of cut clumps of grass. It doesn't look that way normally, it probably looks like a weedy clumping grass before cut.

starry night
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Didn't you read the actual post. The pic is of cut clumps of grass. It doesn't look that way normally, it probably looks like a weedy clumping grass before cut.

Yes, I did read the post. I'll stick with my assessment.

Grass Shark
07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
That is bentgrass. It almost reminds you of angel hair pasta when you run your fingers through it. If you comb your fingers through it back and forth, it comes up like matted hair, and is 6 to 8 inches long in areas that have been mowed at 3".

There is no "like button" but I like this answer :waving:

scagmanjosh
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM

What you say about bahia describes what I have to a tee. BUT it does grow in little bunches and the hard base stalks you describe look kinda like the stalks of what the guy posted. While he did murder it and its hard to tell anything for sure, the base to me looks like it.

Mark Oomkes
07-27-2010, 06:55 AM

Guess we'll just have to wait for the OP to answer. :dancing:

White Gardens
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, I did read the post. I'll stick with my assessment.

Sorry if my post came off aggressive.

We're all shooting from the hip.

MikeKle
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I would have taken a pic of it at the house, but I havent been taking my camera along in the truck since its been near 100 every day, next time I see it, I will pull it out without cutting it and then take a pic of it when I get home, but before its cut, it looks just like regular thin leaf grass. Ive only seen it right on edges of walkways, driveways, etc, never out in a yard, and theres not much of it, only in a few of my yards, and only a few sprouts of it there even, so Im guessing it doesnt spread too easy? I dont think its crab grass, I know all too well what that looks like, as it is EVERYWHERE around here now! Sorry about the pic, I dont know why my camera didnt take a clear focused shot of it?

MikeKle
07-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I really think its some form of goose grass after looking at some pics of it on google. there seems to be many different types too.

Richard Martin
07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I went out and took some pics for you Mike.

This is uncut Bahia. This is about a week's growth. It is just getting ready to form it's seedhead.

Richard Martin
07-29-2010, 02:23 PM
This is the same Bahia after I cut it to about 2-3/4".

Richard Martin
07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
This is Goose grass. Just to the right of it is Nut Sedge. We'll get to that in a minute.

Richard Martin
07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
This is cut Goose grass on the right mixed in with some Crabgrass.

Richard Martin
07-29-2010, 02:31 PM
This is Nut Sedge in a Burmuda grass lawn.

Richard Martin
07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
This is fully mature Net Sedge with seed heads. Note how tall it gets before forming the seed head. If you have a similar grass that forms a low to the ground seedhead then you have Kilinga.

lilmarvin4064
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure what you have there is Tumble Windmillgrass ( Chloris verticillata )

I just can't believe it tooks 4 pages of bad answers.

Broomsedge is also possible, that's a terrible picture you got there.

cecropia11
11-10-2011, 06:17 AM
looks like goose grass or a clump of wild onion, it is hard to tell with a blurry picture.

ralph02813
11-10-2011, 06:41 AM
It looks like a weed I run into in the spring in one property, it is a small patch about 3x20 and general sits in a little shallow that stays pretty wet, after the area dries up in the spring, it doesn't come back and it is a bugger to cut I usually run over it then back over it - half of it seems to duck the first time :-)

Johnny test
11-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Looks like a$$ grass to me.......

LOL, yeah a better pic would be nice.. Only thing you can tell from that pic is that it there is allot of tillering.

Ridin' Green
11-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Looks like you ran over a pair of the Grinch's socks that got left out on the lawn. :dizzy::laugh:

Like everyone mentioned, some nice clear pics of it still uncut in the lawn would be beneficial not only for identification purposes, but so that everyone can learn something about a grass or weed that they may not have in their area, or that they may yet run across while mowing sometime in the future.