PDA

View Full Version : Demo Critique

EveningIllumination
07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi All,
This is a demo I set up last week. The pom-pom shrub on the right is lite with two Unique Nova Lights one 20w the other 35w. The one on the left is one nightscaping's softliter with 18w(wedge base). I love the nova lighting on the right and bid the job using that combo. I also bid the job to have a fixture in front of the palm with low wattage and wide beam to illuminate the trunk of the palm tree from the ground up. Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/EveningIllumination/demoweb2.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/EveningIllumination/demoweb1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/EveningIllumination/demoweb3.jpg

This is the second job I've bid that the client said my quotes were high. Is there somebody I can talk to - to find out whats too high? I need to know if I am pricing myself out of the market(if I can get into it). Thanks All.
Have A Great Day!!
Bobbi

EveningIllumination
07-25-2010, 07:50 PM
I forgot to mention that the Nova fixtures have the dome shaped frosted lens on them.

niteliters
07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
good morning bobbi, I know i don't have all the information so it's tough to comment on your design. is this all your idea? was it the clients idea? you have painted a picture and if it's what the client wanted then it's perfect. the one thing i notice is a lack of depth, can't see the front door. is there a covered porch up there? My guess is this looks alot better in person. is that a street light to the right? about your price being too high. a guess is it's too high because your prospective client isn't seeing the value. why not, you did a night time demo? the part of the country you're in is highly competitve. keep plugging away, i"m not a fan of demo's, but you have to find what works for you. might try working towards designs that you couldn't demo because of the technical aspect of the design or install. if you can't demo it, you're competition won't be able to demo it, thus shrinking competition and making your price, for what your doing, more affordable :). I think getting the client to view you as a designer, not an installer, is key part of removing the "your price is high" obstacle

niteliters
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Regarding.."Price is high" issue. might look for some feed back from those who work in higly competitive areas. since we have started there have been many companies add lighting and a few who just do lighting but we try not to look at them as competition. Have done some designs/installs in the treasure coast area and almost everyone who mows grass offers landscape lighting. they are installers, you need to be a designer

EveningIllumination
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Thank You Chris for your comments. It is my design - the customer just said he wanted the palm tree and the pom-pom shrubs lit, in the front. The house is spanish style - there is a wrought iron gate at the lit arch and you go through that and a courtyard before you get to the front door.
Yes, that is a street light on the right hand side - it is metal halide - I am hoping if I get the job we can put some kind of block on the sides that face the house.
Chris - did you set-up demos when you started? If not - what did you do to get your clients to realize the value of your service? This area is a gated community and that was the first time I was in there at night. 1 in 5 houses had lighting - 1/2 of those were Home Depot specials and everything else was very under lit. Only one house in their area had good lighting - I am hoping that they know the owners and can ask them about what they paid - I was told that my price was on the low side of all the other designers in my area. Thanks again!
Have A Great Day!!
Bobbi

niteliters
07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm sure there's exceptionsto the rule, but our experience and many others I know took similar paths. discounted job, work for a friend or relative. how much of your day you spend emersed in lighting, i think, has something to do with your progress....not success, progress. Success can happen to anyone at anytime. in my short career of 13 years in this business, i have fallen into six figure projects and worked my butt of for a 3000 job. We started with small jobs, discounted some, leaned on manufacturer start to finish. Did that for 4 or 5 years, then I went to an AOLP conference. WOW, so many people at different levels but all with a passion for lighting. In the business for several years and didn't realize how big of a rut I was in. Some there with egos, most there with a love of lighting and the willingness to share. The year after first conference our businesses bottom line increased dramatically.....increased confidence. I have those men and women to thank for that. If your wanting to make this a career, i would recommend joining the AOLP, attending the (certified outdoor lighting designer) C.O.L.D. class at the conference and staying for the conference. You will not be dissapointed. I am going to be there, I'll introduce you around :) check out www.aolponline.org for info on becoming a member and conference date. going to be in Scottsdale AZ...end of January/beginning of Febuary, I think.

did not set up demos, My Father owns the company, an accountant...so he expressed value with detail. detailed drawing, notes, proposal, etc. My degree is in housing design so it was a natural for me to do a detailed drawing to show value. Now, much less time spent on drawing, I lean on the technical and design verbage I've learned thru the years along with pictures of our projects. It's evolved, with every successful project it gets easier.
hope this helps out

elegance_alex
08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
There will also be Design Awards at the AOLP Conference - Feb 1-5, 2011. As a member, you'll have a chance to see all the entries, and there have been some beautiful entries in the past! At the conference, you can meet the designers and discuss what, why and how, (or how much) and you will get a chance to visit with some of the top suppliers in the business. We are having some great presenters this year, including a special topic session on LED.