PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 47RH

South Florida Lawns
07-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Anybody have problems with this transmission? I hear all kinds of stories with 47re failures but nothing much online with this model. Its in the 1994-95 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Thanks

WH401
07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
The 47rh is a decently reliable transmission, but it really all depends on how the transmission was maintained and used. A well maintained and sensibly driven transmission can run for a while behind the 5.9. Also, if the trans is in good shape and can handle it, it'll really benefit from an aftermarket torque converter and valve body, even with stock power. For what it's worth, the A518, (which is pretty much a 47rh without a locking torque converter), that's in my 92' is still on the factory build, (174k on the truck), and runs pretty good for it's age and design. It spent the first 55k of it's life towing about 7-8k, and the rest running empty with occasional towing every year. The only issue is it sticks in 1st gear sometimes, but I'm pretty sure the band needs to be adjusted.

All of the automatic transmissions used behind the 5.9 from 89' - the first half of 07' are pretty much the same, just upgraded internals as the years went on and electronic controls replaced the original hydraulic controls.

Bunton Guy
07-27-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUGgYHEg6NI This was done on a 47RH....if that shows you how tough they are

yeah it does have a billet front cover triple disk converter and a billet input, billet 3rd gear drum,kick down lever,servo yadda yadda...

its all in how you build it to how tough it is. Use quality parts and it will hold over 1,500HP or tow over 30K pounds.

12Valve
07-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I got about 170k out of mine factory one.........Spent some coin got a goerend tripple disk converter and rest of trans minus billit shafts from dave. Its took a pretty good beating.......ive turned left to go right a many times ha ha.