PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a 92 96 F-350 4x4 Cab and chassis

Gravel Rat
07-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi guys I'am in the need to get rid of my gas guzzling 88 F-Superduty that is 460 powered and I want a diesel truck for sure but I also want a 4x4. As you may know the old F-Superduties never came 4 wheel drive so I have to go back to a F-350 to get 4 wheeldrive. I never owned a 4x4 F-350 are they worth buying I know I won't beable to carry the same weight as the 450.

There is also another problem owning a F-450 and its over the gross weight limit 12,200 lbs (5600KGs) so the truck is classed as a commercial vehical and has to follow all the rules that go along with it a REAL PITA. The F-350 would be under the gvw 12,000 pounds and I don't have to deal with having commercial plates on the truck. I also can use the truck for a daily driver easier where its a bit tougher when you own a 450 because you can't travel on some streets and can't park overnight on the streets.

What do you think the work load of this truck is going tobe delivering about 2 tons of lumber, Rubbish removal and the up to 2 yards of sand and gravel. The truck will have a 12x8 dump deck and a 3 stage telescoping hoist.

Pelican
08-04-2002, 02:25 PM
I had both a '94 460 powered and a '97 Powerstroke powered F-350 dumps. I got twice the fuel milage with the diesel as I did with the gas truck. The GVW on these trucks is 11,000 lbs, your DOT laws are apparently different than ours, I don't know how this will affect you.

My '97 had a tare weight of 8500, leaving only 2500 available for payload. That's 1 yard of gravel, sand or stone. I sold the truck for a 550 for this reason.

The '92 diesel is naturally aspirated, (no turbo) and will not have nearly the power of today's PowerStrokes. That engine was susseptible to cooling system problems if not maintained, so you will want to pay close attention to that.

'96 and newer is when the PowerStroke became available, this engine has been more reliable than the older versions.

Gravel Rat
08-04-2002, 04:04 PM
The DOT rules here go by your licensed weight so I can license a F-350 at 12,125 pounds and I can be under the DOT rules that class the truck full commercial. The DOT doesn't go by the manufacturers gross so I can set the gvw at any level I want but I can't set it lower than the manufacturers gvw. I could license a 350 to have a 14,000 pound gvw but I don't want todo that because your insurance is alot more and the truck is classed as commercial. I also need a motor carrier plate on the truck along with a National safety code number.

I'am surprised your F-350 would weigh that much my F-Superduty with a 12' steel box weighs in at 8200lbs been verified on the pit and the landfill scales. My F-350 2wd with the 12x8 flatdeck only weighed 6800 pounds so if the 4x4 truck I will buy weighs 7000 pounds or so I will be happy. When dad and I build trucks we try to make the truck light as possible so you don't max out the truck just from the add ons. The 12x8 deck I'am gonna put on this truck should only weigh 1400 pound max with the hoist the deck itself weighs only 800lbs.

Dad is looking at a 1981 Kenworth W-900 tandem axle gravel truck to buy as we need alot of fill hauled to our property and it will give my cdl some use. I was told I could run the Kenworth cheaper fuel wise than I could with my 460 powered F-Superduty and the Kenworth is powered by a 400 Cummins.

Have to see what happens but I do need a F-350 4x4 for doing my landscaping work.

Pelican
08-04-2002, 08:01 PM
The weight difference is in the added drive axle, transfer case and the diesel engine. I wish our weight laws were like yours, we can only register to manufacturers' MGVW, or less. Then we are fined by the pound for excess weight.

That KW will probably get about the same fuel milage as your Ford, mine got 6 mpg, but it can move 5 times the load doing it.

Gravel Rat
08-05-2002, 12:34 AM
The one thing about being under 12,000 pounds a guy can avoid the scales so you can run a bit heavy but not over do it. I have had loads on my F-350 that was way over the gross 7000 lbs on the deck and had the DOT follow behind me for 20 miles never was stopped. I pulled over to let him by and he went on his way never even flinched even thou I knew I was overloaded but he didn't seem to think so as the truck handled the load fine just traveled a bit slow.

If the F-350 4x4 can carry 5000 pounds I will be happy getting better fuel mileage and more of a nicer riding truck will be great. If I got heavy loads to haul I will use the Kenworth if we buy it hauling dirt on a F-350 or even a F-450 doesn't really pay a guy wears his truck out too fast.

m&m
08-19-2002, 11:43 PM
go with the 96

Brickman
08-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Gravel Rat I just ordered some Firestone air suspension bags. Supposedly adds 5000 lbs to the truck cappacity. With having duals I wouldn't see this as a problem. Just make sure you run load range E tires.

www.macsspring.com $235 US money.

What ever you do don't get a non turbo truck. Unless you plan on making it into a turbo charged engine. Other wise they are so weak a baby's sneeze would slow it down. If you get a PS I can hook you up with a power chip and exhaust brake. I got 9.2 MPG today pulling cars, moderate wind, and loaded about 2/3 of the time. I say not bad for the lead foot I got. I have been doing between 8 and 9 since I started.

Gravel Rat
08-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Thats what I'am really worried about the 7.3 IDI supposidly its got lower power numbers to a 460 gas and even a 460 is underpowered at times especially in my 450. The 460 moves the truck alright but man it guzzles gas at 5 gallons per second when the truck is grossed to 16,000lbs :cry:

I don't know what todo actually either I buy a 5 ton single axle or buy a F-350 4x4 the thing is I gotta decide if I want to haul freight or haul dirt. With a F-350 if I get slow I won't have a truck sitting around like a 5 ton would because a 350 can be used as a daily driver.

I have been churning thoughts around in my head because its a big risk for me to buy a single axle 5 ton dump and end up with no work for it. With a F-350 I alway can keep doing the rubbish removal and the odd P+D jobs I get or delivering loads of wood from a small saw mill I haul for.

Damn I hate big decisions :blob4:

Pelican
08-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Brickman, what exhaust brake do you run? How many HP is the chip?

Brickman
08-21-2002, 11:37 AM
The exhaust brake is one that wires into the existing controls for the cold start warm up from the factory. It closes the exhaust recirculating valve that closes when the computer says the engine is cold and it needs to warm up faster. When I first heard about this set up I thought it was bunch of bull. After talking to a guy that worked for an out fit that had them I got brave enough to try it. By no means is it like a jake on a cummins. But I have over 100K on the original set of brakes, and you know what the life of a LCO truck is, driving in town. My friend holds the patent for the brake. He did a lot of researce and talking with Navistar designers. He feels that it restricts things as much as you can with out damaging the engine. There are other brakes that would restrict more and nothing would happen for a while, but then one day.........................

I got my chip from the same guy, he can burn it to pretty much what ever you want from 50HP to 120HP. Or 140HP in a racing application. I had him burn mine to 75HP. He says that with my lead boot he wasn't going to do any more than that until I put in a set of gauges, so I don't melt my truck down around my ears. :D
You can bet I would NOT be doing that if I were to melt it down! I want to get propane injection, but have been going to the gentlemans club way too much lately to afford that. :D :D

Pelican
08-21-2002, 02:21 PM
What brand exhaust brake do you have?

I rigged one up on my '01 350 using the factory warm up butterfly. I'm happy with the performance, I'd say it's like a 3 position Jake on level 2. I need to hook up a switch to the torque lock up though to make it really work.

My '02 has a 6 speed, I'd like to do the same to it, but things are so busy now it will be a while before I can.

Would like to do a mild chip thing to make these things blow black smoke like a real truck!

Brickman
08-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Flow Jam exhaust brake. And like you say kinda like position one or two on a three stage jake.

Mine blows black smoke like a Mack truck if I put my foot into it. I can totally smoke out other vehicles.