PDA

View Full Version : New Edger

J & K Lawn Service
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I am looking to buy an edger to expand the services I am offering my customers. Should I purchase a handheld edger or one with wheels? What style edger has worked best for you? Thanks for the help.

PLS-Tx
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
We like the Sthil FC-110, we also have a FC-95. The 95 is ok but the 110 has more power for just a few more $.

They were out of 110's and I needed one that day only reason we got the 95.

J & K Lawn Service
07-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks TAC.

PLS-Tx
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Sure hope that helps.

Some guys don't like the 4mix, they have served us well. We do have a couple of older ones that give us some trouble but that would be the case if they were 2 stroke.

jiggz
08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
honestly you should have both.. a hadheld is quick light and gets the job done real fast..but they cant really establish an edge they way a good walkbehind unit can ((it will work but it will take FOREVER))

for normal maintenance work.. handheld *stick is the only way to go..i have been really happy with my Redmaxs

J & K Lawn Service
08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Thank you Jiggz!

pitrack
08-09-2010, 01:40 AM
honestly you should have both.. a hadheld is quick light and gets the job done real fast..but they cant really establish an edge they way a good walkbehind unit can ((it will work but it will take FOREVER))

for normal maintenance work.. handheld *stick is the only way to go..i have been really happy with my Redmaxs

I agree with your post, however, I have edged walks that have been very over grown with my stick edger and it has been okay. You just charge accordingly if it is really over grown.

I'm running the RedMax HEZ3001S

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_00432_fhdr.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/DSC_0057_fhdr.jpg

Will P.C.
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I really do not see a need for a walk behind. Even if the edge hasn't been done in a year, you could always flip your weedeater upside down. This works surprisingly well

Stihl FS110 is what I use

A Leaf Above
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Fs110 here also ...Very good reliable machine..

Lefet
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I am looking to buy an edger to expand the services I am offering my customers. Should I purchase a handheld edger or one with wheels? What style edger has worked best for you? Thanks for the help.

If it's your first edger, I would suggest a stick edger. Compact, lightweight, fits on the trimmer rack, less expensive, would see more use.

Lefet
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Really nice work pitrack

Runner
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
I strongly disagree with the above stick suggestions.
DEFinitely go with a walk behind edger. I have wrote rather extensive posts on this very subject with many reasons why the walk behind is the best choice for a first and initial edger. Don't even consider the trimmers, string trimmer edging attachments because they won't cut an inch off the edge an inch deep.
Now, as far as walk behind edgers go, dollar for dollar, the McClane is very hard to beat. They are very easy to use, and last several years. They are just an excellent edger for the money.
While stick edgers are great for quick off the trailer edgings, they are not good for doing heavy edging like thick initial edgings, and they are not good for anything over 5 minutes. A walk behind is much more practical for these. It has the weight, and ease of operation. This is why I believe a walk behind is the #1 choice for having any ONE edger.

pitrack
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Really nice work pitrack
Thank you

I strongly disagree with the above stick suggestions.
DEFinitely go with a walk behind edger. I have wrote rather extensive posts on this very subject with many reasons why the walk behind is the best choice for a first and initial edger. Don't even consider the trimmers, string trimmer edging attachments because they won't cut an inch off the edge an inch deep.
Now, as far as walk behind edgers go, dollar for dollar, the McClane is very hard to beat. They are very easy to use, and last several years. They are just an excellent edger for the money.
While stick edgers are great for quick off the trailer edgings, they are not good for doing heavy edging like thick initial edgings, and they are not good for anything over 5 minutes. A walk behind is much more practical for these. It has the weight, and ease of operation. This is why I believe a walk behind is the #1 choice for having any ONE edger.

I disagree with your post. They won't cut an inch off the edge an inch deep? Are you talking about an inch into the yard or if it's over grown an inch over the concrete?

If it's an inch over the concrete just get a shovel and shove it under the dirt until you hit the edge of the walk then go down it with the stick edger. Has worked for me very well, it cuts it off in strips. I personally would get sick of hauling a big ass walk behind edger around and killing your back unloading it from the back of a truck. Not ALL stick edgers will work well, but get a bigger more powerful one and I think that is his best bet. It's all in preference though, I would get sick of hauling the walk behind around especially if it's edges that don't need it real bad just need cleaned up.*trucewhiteflag*

Runner
08-09-2010, 06:29 PM
The back of a truck? OUCH! Nothing heavier than a shovel does in the back of a truck. lol But yeah,...I was commenting on the string trimmer for not cutting anything deep (OR wide, for that matter) and a stick edger cutting over an inch of vertical depth (practically). And with a wheeled edger, they are just much easier to use for cutting heavy edges. Instead of holding and pushing, you can walk down with essentially a finger and thumb on each handle. Also, the point made about the more than 5 minutes is a very valid one. Any complexes with long runs, we use wheeled edgers on. Oh,...the stick edgers have their place - they are quick and handy out of the trailer, and in many cases, even faster to use, but like I said, for any ONE edger, a wheeled edger is always the best first purchase. It does all of the above.

pitrack
08-10-2010, 12:33 AM
The back of a truck? OUCH! Nothing heavier than a shovel does in the back of a truck. lol But yeah,...I was commenting on the string trimmer for not cutting anything deep (OR wide, for that matter) and a stick edger cutting over an inch of vertical depth (practically). And with a wheeled edger, they are just much easier to use for cutting heavy edges. Instead of holding and pushing, you can walk down with essentially a finger and thumb on each handle. Also, the point made about the more than 5 minutes is a very valid one. Any complexes with long runs, we use wheeled edgers on. Oh,...the stick edgers have their place - they are quick and handy out of the trailer, and in many cases, even faster to use, but like I said, for any ONE edger, a wheeled edger is always the best first purchase. It does all of the above.

I agree with you man. Wheeled edgers do all of the above, just take longer than a stick edger on a weekly edging. It comes down to what the OP wants to do. If he wants to edge his accounts he has and keep edging them weekly, stick is the way to go imo. If he wants to edge other yards that never get edged, a wheeled edger would probably suit his needs.:drinkup:

georgiagrass
08-12-2010, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=TAC;3658866]We like the Sthil FC-110, we also have a FC-95. The 95 is ok but the 110 has more power for just a few more $.QUOTE]

What he said.

lawnkingforever
08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree with Runner, a WB edger is the way to go. I own a stick edger and WB edger. While I don't carry the WB edger on my truck everyday like my stick edger, it is nice knowing I have it for really overgrown sidewalks. I also have a couple corner lots that have a huge amount of sidewalk frontage that I use the WB on. While it is all personal opinion, I believe a WB leaves a cleaner edge.

Johnny test
08-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Both are good but the walk behind is a must have for first time edging.
One you can do without the other you cant.
So if it's your only edger it must be a walk-behind. I learned that from experience long before I read this post...