PDA

View Full Version : sod

KerryB
07-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Need some help guys and gals,
Have an area at top of driveway. Total area 2086 sg ft. Customer is in a hurry so roundup is out of the question. Should I remove existing grass and weeds or just till them up? Either way I plan on adding topsoil to fill in where erosion has washed away soil next to concrete drive, as well as to provide a base over area. Install Tiff 419 Bermuda
sod.
Prep area: 4 hrs. @ $35.00 Total: $140.00
Spread top soil hand grade: 5hrs @ $35.00 $175.00
Spread starter fert and lay sod: 12.5 hrs @ $35.00 $437.50
Delivery fees: $300.00
Starter fert: $20.00, top soil 20 yds: cost $15.00 per yd. $600.00.
5 pallets sod @ $87.00. $435.00 cost. $870.00

Total: $2,542.50
$1.21 per sq ft.
Did I leave anything out? Does everything look ok?

AGLA
07-30-2002, 10:55 PM
I think you might be short on the prep time, but long on the laying time that would probably balance out.
I am curious about how you are spreading that 20yds of loam. That is filling, moving, and grading a wheelbarrow about every three minutes. If you are using a loader, charge for it. If you are not, I think you'll need more time.
Don't forget dump fees.
I would rent a sod stripper rather than tilling. It will make cleanup faster, leave a solid grade under your topsoil, and make pushing the wheelbarrow easier and topsoil depth more consistant.

KerryB
08-01-2002, 08:22 AM
So after stripping up the old sod I shouldnt till? Just spread the fresh top soil?

I will be able to back the truck up and put top soil right where I need it without the use of a wheel barrow thank goodness.

strickdad
08-01-2002, 09:59 AM
lawn doctor, i would till. i think you may experiance a "cavity " effect if you dont. what i mean by this is you will have 3" or so of loose top soil on top of a compact base. what will happen is when you water the top soil will absorb the water at a very quick rate, but when you get to the compacted base the ground will not absorb the water very quick. the water will start to disperse sideways, hence moving the loose top soil. this in turn will cause the "cavity" effect or air pockets, beneath the sod. it will take a week or two for this to happen and the homeowner will not reconize the problem till its too late. then of course they always wait till that spot in the middle is good and dead before they call you.......... lol.

KerryB
08-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks Billy,
I thought I should. Do you roll the soil before you lay the sod or just rake it out and roll after its down?

strickdad
08-01-2002, 02:07 PM
i roll before and after, rolling before will help you find small "craters" in the ground before you lay sod. fill these in so you dont have air pockets. i also have a tendancy to use a top dressing on the top of clay to help the leveling process..

KerryB
08-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks again for all your help.