PDA

View Full Version : Keystone garden walls

n2h20
07-30-2010, 01:47 AM
http://www.angelusblock.com/docs/Angelus_Keystone_Landscape_Units.pdf

So a buddy and i are helping another buddy build this wall. The friend who is "running the show" claims to have built a few walls out of this block.

so I am trying to be the silent helper and do whats im asked.

we dug the footing. laid sand and he started to knock off the back "tab" off the bottom of the block. I thought this was kind of odd since this is what locks the block into place. I asked why and he said he needed a level flat surface for the first course...

thoughts??

second this wall have several step ups. about 8 in the 140' run.
so i was setting the first course and when i got to the first step up i set a block with the tab still intact. the first block of the step was half on the lower course and half on the sand. i pulled the back tab to the block and continued... he told me i had to set the first block on the step in a straight line with the first bottom course.

thoughts?

i wish i had taken pictures of this so it would be easier to explain. I think my friend is on CRACK and F'ed up the whole wall by 1. knocking off the bottom tab, and 2. by setting the first block of each step inline with the lower course.

am i the one on crack?

thanks.

n2h20
07-30-2010, 01:50 AM
we are using the legacy stone... actually it is a quikrete block.. which is the same style as the angelus block but not shown on quikretes site for some reason.

n2h20
07-30-2010, 02:08 AM
oh.. and he wanted to start at the high side and work to the lower side.. isnt that backwards?

im not a wall or paver or hardscape guy so bear with me...

n2h20
07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
nobody has anything to say??

Reconwalls
07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
knock off the lip on the bottom course is a good idea. Not sure what you are talking about on the step up though. you want a block half on the block and half on the base rock on a step up.

n2h20
07-30-2010, 08:51 PM
thank you for the reply. yes we have a block on block.. however shouldnt that first block of the step up course.. be set back the width of the lip? so the first block on first step course set back 1" or so?

Bru75
07-31-2010, 12:23 AM
thank you for the reply. yes we have a block on block.. however shouldnt that first block of the step up course.. be set back the width of the lip? so the first block on first step course set back 1" or so?

Yes. It should.

Moneypit
07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
What does your base consist of? Only sand? How tall is the wall? Was anything done about drainage behind the wall?

n2h20
08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
the base was a decomposed granite/sand mixture. below that is solid ground, a sandstone i believe. they decided not to do any drainage as we get little rain. the wall is 4 feet tall and 140 long.+-

n2h20
08-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes. It should.

if its not the course will lose its strength as it has nothing to "lock onto" right?

so what about the very bottom course set in the base? should that back tab have been knocked off?

Bru75
08-03-2010, 05:45 PM
if its not the course will lose its strength as it has nothing to "lock onto" right?

so what about the very bottom course set in the base? should that back tab have been knocked off?

Friction and gravity will hold the wall together, even without the tabs. The reason to set the block back is that the next course will not line up properly if you don't.
Your bottom course should be burried and is unlikely to go anywhere (many block types have flat bottoms), but you can leave the tabs if you want to.

n2h20
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks.. The bottom course is in fact burried...
Posted via Mobile Device