PDA

View Full Version : Toro Grandstand

Leatherneck
07-30-2010, 10:32 PM
I am looking to hear anybody's thoughts about the Toro Grandstand mower 52"

White Gardens
07-31-2010, 09:26 PM
The mowing section will yield better answers.

ajslands
07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I heard it looses all it's traction in walk behind mode
Posted via Mobile Device

loupiscopolandscaping
08-01-2010, 01:28 AM
looks pretty bad ass. i love toro but ive heard lots of pros and cons about this mower. seems a little new for toro maybe give it another yr or 2 and theyll get all the weak points fixed if there is any

RodneyK
08-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I have an 09 23HP with a 52" deck.

Forget about it in "walk behind" mode. No traction and controls too tall. If you really need that then buy a walk behind.

I have had two issues. One throttle cable and the other was the speed control allowing the machine to go as fast as it should. Both were taken care by the dealer at no charge. There have been tons of other issues I have heard about. I would buy a 2010 or 2011 if you can wait for the 2011s. That is the bad of it for me so far.

I really, really like this mower. It is fun to use and you can be super productive with it. It cuts great. I have the optional OCDC to control the clippings and that was a great add on. It does not stripe real well.

I am sure there are others who well tell you another brand of stand-on is better than the Toro and they may be right. The Toro is the only one I have tried.

BTW, do a search on Toro Grandstand there are tons of threads and posts already.

shovelracer
08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I love ours. For our 1 acre and under lots it is as productive as our TT 61" was. My complaints go with the standard problems. Loose bolts, excessive cable play, dealer service is good, but my issue with toro is that it is slow to get parts, unlike other manufactures which will have it on your door in 24hrs. The problem is that the parts we keep needing are always backordered.

ajslands
08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Why don't you get an exmark stander :D
Posted via Mobile Device

turfbuilder
08-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Wright Stander is way better. Then Great Dane/Everride.
If you wanna walk buy a walk behind.

BKoehler
08-07-2010, 01:23 AM
My 52 GS has almost 100 hours so far and has not given me a single problem yet. I am curious if/when i will experience any of the common problems associated with these machines.

RedSox4Life
08-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I bought on earlier this year.. maybe have 50 hours on it so far so I can't speak to its durability. But I've been actively trying to find a reason to regret buying it, and so far I've had no luck. Cuts great, stripes good. Holds hills way better than any Z, but nowhere near a WB. Basically it does everything my WB used to, but its as fast as the Z.

Actually I have found one complaint. The "operator presence" switch is part of the right hand motion control lever. So being right handed every time I need to adjust the throttle, ground speed, or change the song on my ipod, the blades shut off.

Southern Elegance
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
very slow ground speed

GrandMaster
08-09-2010, 11:53 PM
It will eat grass for breakfast lunch dinner and more. LOL I have currantly 6 of these with 3 wright standers also. The z's will sit most of the time. They are not good for WB unless its mild terrain. And they will cut 1/3rd of grass blade at 6mph with sharp blades nicely. Way fun and will leave alot of burn outs on the grass so it takes some getting use to. Ive been on some real steap hills and slopes to where you need to stand on blade deck with one foot. But heck demo one! There not slow!!

mysteryman
08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I heard it looses all it's traction in walk behind mode
Posted via Mobile Device

walk behind should be limited to taking it off a truck or trailer, despite the advertising and hype, this is a stand-on mower, it is not and should not be considered a dual-use mower. plan on it being a stand-on only! i screwed myself by eliminating scag and others that were not advertised as dual use, i thought the dual use would be handy. turns out that it is not capable. in light of this, consider other makes that are stand-on only because this is all it seems the grandstand is capable of doing...and reverse performance is anemic and uneven. it's a mystery with Toro and my dealer but it is annoying and something i will have to live with apparently. considering it has mirror image pumps, motors and controls i can't imagine why it cannot be adjusted to operate smoothly in reverse. i am not talking fast, just even so i don't travel in circles in reverse. if there is a slight grade that you wish to back up out of forget it, there's nothing positive about the reverse action of the grandstand in this situation. in my opinion this is a design or customer service flaw, but should not exist. i am an individual so my aresnal consists of one toro grandstand, but if i were a fleet operator, i would still only have the onegrandstand...fool me once. by the way i am referring to a 2010 24hp 48" unit.

GrandMaster
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
walk behind should be limited to taking it off a truck or trailer, despite the advertising and hype, this is a stand-on mower, it is not and should not be considered a dual-use mower. plan on it being a stand-on only! i screwed myself by eliminating scag and others that were not advertised as dual use, i thought the dual use would be handy. turns out that it is not capable. in light of this, consider other makes that are stand-on only because this is all it seems the grandstand is capable of doing...and reverse performance is anemic and uneven. it's a mystery with Toro and my dealer but it is annoying and something i will have to live with apparently. considering it has mirror image pumps, motors and controls i can't imagine why it cannot be adjusted to operate smoothly in reverse. i am not talking fast, just even so i don't travel in circles in reverse. if there is a slight grade that you wish to back up out of forget it, there's nothing positive about the reverse action of the grandstand in this situation. in my opinion this is a design or customer service flaw, but should not exist. i am an individual so my aresnal consists of one toro grandstand, but if i were a fleet operator, i would still only have the onegrandstand...fool me once. by the way i am referring to a 2010 24hp 48" unit.

I geuss its what you like and what performs the most efficant for the cost etc. But I do excavation and landscaping also and I fill that ALL hyrdo controls are operator's skill. Meaning in reverse its differant than your every hour foward sure, its going to need to be feathered and the operator will need too adjust. Thats a good operator. I can take one of my best trackhoes and run it so smooth then jump straight in a shitty john deere and run it just as smooth. All controls take skill and some people dont have the cordination or steady hands. It shows when you look at there stripeing. After a year on a stander you'll never want to use that milky controled z again. HEHE :weightlifter:All dealers will sell you whatever you look at first.

mysteryman
08-11-2010, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=GrandMaster;3676669]I geuss its what you like and what performs the most efficant for the cost etc. But I do excavation and landscaping also and I fill that ALL hyrdo controls are operator's skill. Meaning in reverse its differant than your every hour foward sure, its going to need to be feathered and the operator will need too adjust. Thats a good operator. I can take one of my best trackhoes and run it so smooth then jump straight in a shitty john deere and run it just as smooth. All controls take skill and some people dont have the cordination or steady hands. It shows when you look at there stripeing. After a year on a stander you'll never want to use that milky controled z again. HEHE :weightlifter:All dealers will sell you whatever you look at first.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your input, grandMaster. You speak from experience. I admit that I am new to hydro controls and to this machine, and I have been able to overcome some of the shortcomings of the Toro grandstand by manipulating the controls. What you said was never uttered to me by either Toro or the dealer. It's as if they would be betraying the marketing division by admitting that that is the way the controls should act in reverse. I've stated this before, but if they would at a minimum admit that the reverse controls are not ever going to operate as smoothly as the forward controls i would not be happy, but I would at least respect them. As it stands, I feel like I purchased the stereotypical used car from the slick salesman who used every trick in the book to get it to drive off the lot!I am sure that i will overcome some of the issues by putting hours on the machine, but as I said, when my dealer and Toro act as if they recognize a problem but cannot resolve it, then I feel like I got screwed good. Thanks again for your comments above.

GrandMaster
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=GrandMaster;3676669]I geuss its what you like and what performs the most efficant for the cost etc. But I do excavation and landscaping also and I fill that ALL hyrdo controls are operator's skill. Meaning in reverse its differant than your every hour foward sure, its going to need to be feathered and the operator will need too adjust. Thats a good operator. I can take one of my best trackhoes and run it so smooth then jump straight in a shitty john deere and run it just as smooth. All controls take skill and some people dont have the cordination or steady hands. It shows when you look at there stripeing. After a year on a stander you'll never want to use that milky controled z again. HEHE :weightlifter:All dealers will sell you whatever you look at first.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your input, grandMaster. You speak from experience. I admit that I am new to hydro controls and to this machine, and I have been able to overcome some of the shortcomings of the Toro grandstand by manipulating the controls. What you said was never uttered to me by either Toro or the dealer. It's as if they would be betraying the marketing division by admitting that that is the way the controls should act in reverse. I've stated this before, but if they would at a minimum admit that the reverse controls are not ever going to operate as smoothly as the forward controls i would not be happy, but I would at least respect them. As it stands, I feel like I purchased the stereotypical used car from the slick salesman who used every trick in the book to get it to drive off the lot!I am sure that i will overcome some of the issues by putting hours on the machine, but as I said, when my dealer and Toro act as if they recognize a problem but cannot resolve it, then I feel like I got screwed good. Thanks again for your comments above.

I know its like apples to apples but when I can get 4 grandstands on a 20' tex HOA's and condo's are wicked fast. I own 6 toro grandstands and 3 wright standers. There nice in differant ways but the guys love them and really a smiple and basic system. Easy to work on. Only thing I hate is getting under the deck. Which ive found the sercret to ______ A 48" high lift hand man jack fits perfect under deck when raised, just need to handle the tires rolling back and forward. 48' deck or 52" is great less clogging and the torbo force will mow at full speed its rolled lip and deck is very nice for mulch or bagging.. Heck I can get them for 6500.00 to fleet.:drinkup:

sqvick
08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
i currently have a 52 wright stander and im thinking about selling it to buy a grandstand what are your thoughts? thx!

turfbuilder
08-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Why sell the Wright? The GS can't hold a hill like the Wright can.

sqvick
08-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Yea the only thing I was thinking whas being able to adjust deck height and walk if need be!
Posted via Mobile Device

GrandMaster
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Why sell the Wright? The GS can't hold a hill like the Wright can.

Ya sell the Wright there service sucks and it dont perform like a toro! It will hold hills better trust me. The tires at 8lbs psi bag up hill its scary what I go on. The new stands are so nice Im getting 2 more this year.