PDA

View Full Version : my yard sale find!

Field King
07-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Wife and I hit yard sales last week, this was in the driveway with a sign reading $50, I said to myself it is worth that in parts, owner said he parked it 2 years ago because alternator would not charge battery, I figured engine was blown as it would not do anything, so I bought for $40 and took it home, popped in new battery and Shazam she runs great, grandsons love it, I will use for them to learn on and around my house, a great day at the yard sales!http://i25.tinypic.com/2qixxrk.jpg

White Gardens
07-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Nice find!

So many attachments available for those old Deeres too.

MarcSmith
07-31-2010, 08:42 PM
very nice......

1993lx172
07-31-2010, 09:11 PM
You STOLE THAT! I've seen 317's and 318's that have been beat all to hell bring at least $800-$1000. Go ahead and fix the charging problem, put some high lift blades on it, and get the deck set right and it will put your Scag and maybe your Ferris to shame in terms of cut quality. I would get yourself a pull behind aerator, dethatcher, and a lawn sweeper or bagger and get into fall and spring clean ups and aeration.

When (God forbid) or if the Lx172 ever goes down for the last time (or when I graduate college and hopefully get my own place) a 300 series will be my first or second choice.

Field King
07-31-2010, 09:31 PM
You STOLE THAT! I've seen 317's and 318's that have been beat all to hell bring at least $800-$1000. Go ahead and fix the charging problem, put some high lift blades on it, and get the deck set right and it will put your Scag and maybe your Ferris to shame in terms of cut quality. I would get yourself a pull behind aerator, dethatcher, and a lawn sweeper or bagger and get into fall and spring clean ups and aeration.

When (God forbid) or if the Lx172 ever goes down for the last time (or when I graduate college and hopefully get my own place) a 300 series will be my first or second choice.

a friend put a volt meter on it after I installed new battery while engine running, it is putting 13.4 volts to the battery, he thinks that is low, I think it should work, we will see, anyone know for sure? I am going to watch for attachments also.

1993lx172
07-31-2010, 11:16 PM
a friend put a volt meter on it after I installed new battery while engine running, it is putting 13.4 volts to the battery, he thinks that is low, I think it should work, we will see, anyone know for sure? I am going to watch for attachments also.

Maybe the charging system is fine and the battery the guy had in it went bad? Take a reading on the battery before you use it then use it for a day then take a reading when you're done, in theory that would tell you if it's charging or not. I haven't been up close to a 300 series in a while, but is there a gage on the dash for the battery/charging? It could be that the gage stopped working and the guy thought he had a charging problem. You could always take the alternator into Auto Zone, O'Riley's, or your dealer and have them test it.

As for attachments try Craig's list, ebay, or your dealer.

ajslands
07-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Did anyone end up buying the yard?
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat48
07-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Very nice..i like it.