PDA

View Full Version : Drive 75 on crabgrass? Any pointers?

ranger520
07-31-2002, 05:17 AM
I am in Minnesota and it seems like every client has the same question? What about my crab grass? So I am looking for a way of spot spraying with a backpack sprayer as most cases seem to be isolated at least for now.

Green Sweep
07-31-2002, 07:09 AM
Drive works very well on crabgrass. It's quick and it doesnt cause the plant to turn purple - making it even more unattractive. Your probably better off to spot treat with a backpack. The product is expensive & can become very costly to tank mix.

Rob

ranger520
07-31-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks Rob, I noticed the price was kind of out there but I think if it works I can get a premium for the service. any other recommendations I am all ears.

tremor
07-31-2002, 06:16 PM
It was so dry here a week ago that the Crabs weren't dying quickly enough for some folks. Recent heavy rains helped, but soil moisture is declining already.

Moral: When treating Crabs in heavily drought stressed lawns, don't promise any miracles. Drive is an excellent post emergent herbicide, but it can't eradicate weeds that aren't growing.

Don't forget a MCO or a quality spreader/sticker.

Steve

Strongmd
08-07-2002, 02:22 PM
What is MCO?

tremor
08-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Methylated Crop Oil seen on the label as methylated seed oil.

Any of many crop oils used as a spreader. More common spreader/stickers also "spread" the material out by lowering surface tension like soap. But most also contain "sticking agents" that prevents the herbicide from washing off with rain or irrigation. Drive75 can set up a pre-emergent barrier if it get's washed off the foliage after treatment. That barrier can last for 3 or 4 weeks. If the residual stays on the foliage because of a sticker, then the barrier doesn't form as well.

We don't sell MCO's (agriculture suppliers have it though). Yet I've gotten not a single complaint about Drive's performance. Most of my customers are using a standard non-ionic surfactant or spreader/sticker without incident.

Steve

Strongmd
08-08-2002, 05:26 AM
Thanks Tremor. Interesting. So, very few people are applying Drive for it's Pre-M properties?

tremor
08-08-2002, 06:46 AM
It seems that's the case. Post is the biggest concern around here. Drive is fast replacing Acclaim as the crab-post of choice.

According to my BASF rep, the barrier will still set up, but it will take a little longer. It hasn't been out so long that I can honestly say we've seen local side by side tests.

But with the drought conditions upon us here now, I'd say it doesn't matter much anyway. Crabs that are up do well in a drought, but there won't be many new ones germinating.

Steve

MOW ED
08-08-2002, 06:53 AM
I'm in the process of a test right now. It has been dry and I have been watching a nice patch of crabgrass in my backyard. I let it grow very large. I took a picture of it in all its glory and then I gave it a drink of Drive 75.
I am waiting for the pictures to be developed. The crabgrass is toast. This one did turn purple and brown on the seedheads. One thing is for sure, its dead. We did get 1/2 of rain about 2 days after the application. I know that is important according to the label.
Pricey stuff but really worth it if you have a problem.

I'll post results in a different thread.

Strongmd
08-08-2002, 08:12 AM
Why isn't there a granular product for crabgrass or broadleaf weeds that is systemic? Doesn't Merit work by being sucked up into the grass? Why can't they make a granular Drive?
Just wondering out loud.

LawnLad
08-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Picked up Manage for sedges and it said to mix with a non-ionic surfactant. Is this necessary for Manage? Any recommendations on product for the surfactants. We have not used them before - but I understand how they can be helpful. Would the same be used for Drive then as well?

tremor
08-09-2002, 11:45 PM
I spent the day today with the largest independent applicator ( a big customer of mine too) in the state & my local BASF rep.

My customer was concerned that Drive isn't performing as well this year as last. There's been some talk that the formulation may have changed when the color of the new bottles appeared. Don't worry, that's not the case. I had originally felt that drought had slowed down the crabs, which it has. But this isn't all. Cuticle strength this time of year is a problem at this stage in crabgrasses developement.

It seems that Drive works best when applied to either very young or very old crabgrass. When in the 2-3 tiller stage, Drive varies in performance significantly. Enough so that the BASF researchers are handing out Drive samples & research monies to the Turf Schools looking for help.

For the day, we pulled my customer off of the non-ionic surfactant he likes (for now) & got him some MSO. BASF felt that at this time of year, up to a 20% improvement in control might be expected.

We also decided he would add .25 oz of MSMA to each gallon of finished spray. This should insure the quicker & more complete kill he's after.

We also discovered some issues with applicator technique. Seems some route guys like to go low volume because it's easier (less frequent filling). BASF is pretty firm, that the proper rate of 1.5 gals/1000 be adhered to strictly when the conditions are like this.

So there goes the Permagreens in case anyones been thinking about it.

Steve