PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased A New Honda HRX 217

jntaylor
08-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Does anyone have experience, or use a Honda HRX 217's? I just purchased one today from Home Depot and so far extremely pleased with my purchase. I realize these aren't commercial grade, but damn, it's one hell of a mulching mower. I took it out earlier today and had a hard time putting it up for the night.

http://frontierlawn.net

Kennedy Landscaping
08-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I've never ran one but have heard alot of good things about them. I love my Cub Cadet push mower but when it dies I think I either want a Honda or a Snapper. Both seem to be really good mowers. My neighbor has a Snapper and I'm really fond of the way it bags. Mulches good too.

PerfectEarth
08-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Ran two of them at an old job. Hated them.... always chose the old commercial hrc216 that sat around unused. Really don't care for that plastic, bulky deck. It just felt like an awkward mower to use.

bobcat48
08-02-2010, 01:41 AM
They seem like nice mowers,honda is good.

wild willy
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I had one for many years and loved it.I was surprised by the strength of the deck...sadly one of my guys hit a hidden pole support and bent the crank $430 later, used it for 2 more seasons then I hit something else, decided not to refurbish.
Great mower, watch for the wheel engagement cable its not as robust as the commercial ones but I used a bicycle sleeve and cable as a replacement..... get and keep on hand the springs that return the handles to neutral..nice to have on hand when they "disappear"
have fun with the new toy!!!!!

Oakleaf landscape
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Iv had mine for 4 years or so and I love it, starts on the first pull still. Wouldn't trade it for anything, great investment!!

jntaylor
08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks, I guess for the most part, mowers are a personal preference. After using the HRX I can't see myself going back to my commercial HRA 216 ( it will be my backup). Both are great mowers, but the HRX just feels better, lighter, and I actually like the plastic deck.

deere615
08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I have 2 and love them-best mower out there I think

LawnTamer
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
That "plastic" deck (it's actually Nexite) is awesome. I have run one for 5 yrs now and love it. It is light weight, tougher than the decks on the 21" Prolines I used to run, and I have NEVER had to scrape it.

You should be very happy with your choice.

jntaylor
08-02-2010, 10:45 PM
That "plastic" deck (it's actually Nexite) is awesome. I have run one for 5 yrs now and love it. It is light weight, tougher than the decks on the 21" Prolines I used to run, and I have NEVER had to scrape it.

You should be very happy with your choice.

Thanks, I heard they make make metal guards that attach to the sides to protect the mower from sign posts, brick retaining walls, etc. Does anyone use those?

LawnTamer
08-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks, I heard they make make metal guards that attach to the sides to protect the mower from sign posts, brick retaining walls, etc. Does anyone use those?

I really don't think you'd need one. Have you ever seen the demos where they run over one of those decks with a truck? They are amazingly strong. I've had 2 21" prolines with the cast decks, employees managed to crack both of them, I've had the standard cheapo stamped steel decks, those rust, bend and crack, my Xelite deck is 5 yrs old now, and it doesn't have a single nick in it. We only use the 21s where we can't get a bigger mower, so my 21s are going up and down stairs, and over rock walls and the like all the time. All I have EVER done on the Honda is change the oil, air filter and sharpen blades. Heck, I am still on the original spark plug, just have cleaned it a few times. The only problem you should have is with the air filter. All my Honda motors are very sensitive to air flow. Keep the air filter clean, and you should be fine.