PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for overseeding - KBG and Fescue >>

platinum
08-02-2010, 08:34 AM
In 2008 I used Lesco transition blend which is mostly fescue and in 2009 I used Scotts KBG mix with thermal blue. The grass looks good with that mixture but I donít know what to use this year. I installed irrigation this year and the soil content is looking great so I should be able to use any seed now.

I have been looking at the SS5000 mix from seedsuperstore, has anyone had good results with that seed? Any other recommendations?

I am looking for something with dark green color that is disease resistant and does not require a lot of water. I do have irrigation but I donít want to water every day.

Thanks,

turfcobob
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Fescue is going to give you the stongest plant with the least amount of water and care. There are many varities of fescue available. It is a lighter colored plant than KBG so to bring in some darker color you can give it some iron during the growing season in a slow release granular form. Keep in mind that Fescue will not cover like KBG as it does not send out runners to spread. One seed makes one plant. So for more cover you need to overseed with more fescue. Bottom line Fescue is a very hardy plant that needs less care and water.

Smallaxe
08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
KBG will be just fine, if you let it mature into a solid stand. Once or twice a week irrigation will be adequate, once established. Good or sensible cultural practices are what makes the difference.

I have read that fescue doesn't really go dormant in the summer heat, but will die, whereas KBG will simply brown down, then green up, when the cool weather and rains return.

ICT Bill
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I like the new variety KBG called "midnight" in testing it looks to be very disease resistant, has great dark green color and needs less nutrients thru the year

platinum
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replys. Is there any downside to getting a KBG and Fescue mix? They both seem to have good qualities..

The SS5000 has the "midnight" variety in it as well as some other KBG and Fescue premium blends.