PDA

View Full Version : Advice on re-edging a bed please...

99monguse
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm no pro and I'm just doing my own lawn...my bed's edging looks terrible and I have always just cut with a hand edger but I don't like the look to be honest. I think I will rent an EDGER but my question is this: how do I avoid getting the newly displaced soil from getting thrown on top of my black mulch? My first thought was to simply use a rake to pull the mulch towards the center of the bed, run the edger, remove the soil and rake down the mulch; what do you think?

Smallaxe
08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
If your problem is the lawn, encroaching on the bed, then just go around the edge, with roundup. It does help to actually, clean it up then put down a physical edging.

Hoy landscaping
08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
you are supposed to edge before you mulch. then you dont have to worry about that. if you have the mulch down i would tell you to bite the bullet and hand edge it

44DCNF
08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
'You are right. Rake your mulch back, deepen and define the edge of the bed, replace the mulch. Unless you have hundreds of feet, I think a bed edger would be overkill for your own yard. If you need to re-establish the entire depth of the edge to retain the mulch, then I could see it.
As for general edging, a spade can be used and you'll still have a nice line if you run a string for straight edges, or lay out a peice or garden hose for curves. Intermittent burts of marker paint over the top of the string or hose will give you a dashed outline to follow, if that will help.

99monguse
08-02-2010, 01:38 PM
you are supposed to edge before you mulch. then you dont have to worry about that. if you have the mulch down i would tell you to bite the bullet and hand edge it

I did have it completely edged before I mulched but as the seasons progress and as I mow the edge begins to soften and crumble in...causing the nice crisp deep cut line to become shallow and rough appearing.