PDA

View Full Version : moving equipment 700 miles...

Springmeadows
08-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I am going to do a job for my in-laws and trying to figure out if I'm bringing my Bobcat with instead of renting... I have my truck and trailer tagged for 15,000 lbs in NC. It is legal and all, just not sure about different states in between.

I know I will have to stop at all the weigh stations. What kinds of paperwork do you need with you concerning trucks and trailers. I am not going to weigh over 13,500 so I will well within my tag.

Truck and trailer tires are good, brakes and lights all work. I have a full commercial tag and lettering on the truck. What other issues could there be?

I am leaving Friday morning so I have time to not take the Bobcat with and just go in the truck.

bighornjd
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like your bases are covered to me. I'd take your own. You'll need registrations for both truck and trailer and proof of insurance. Most states require a DOT physical card if your over 10,000 GVW. If you have all that and everything else is legal as you say then no worries.

Since you have to drive there anyway, I don't think the extra fuel usage to tote the trailer along will be that much compared to what it would cost to rent. JMO.

Springmeadows
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
In my state DOT number is not required unless the truck is over 10,000 lbs. Mine is a 3/4 ton, so I was told I didn't need a DOT number. So hopefully they're right about that. I was thinking the same thing, about the fuel usage compared to rental. They want 205 for 6 hours in rental plus they won't let me move it, so I would have to pay to have it moved around to the two jobs I need to do. So, I'm planning on bringing my own. I got the trailer ready today, I had a taillight out and a wheel stud had broke when I put on a couple new tires.

tnmtn
08-03-2010, 10:39 PM
i may be wrong but when you cross state lines with equipment for commercial use a DOT number is required. i don't think being under 10k or 26k combined matters. definitly have health card and possibly drug screen.
good luck,

Krafty
08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Not sure if you are taking material or not either but my guys have been nailed before for a unified carrier tag crossing state lines.

Springmeadows
08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Not taking any materials, just the Bobcat and a set of forks. I may even sell the Bobcat up in Chicago while I'm there...

JPsDuramax
08-04-2010, 10:07 PM
If you cross state lines and your Gross Combined Vehicle Rating exceeds 10,000 lbs, you must have a DOT number if you are not a recreational vehicle. You would also need a driver's log with you in addition to the health card. It may end up being cheaper just to rent considering the headaches of the DOT and commercial vehicle enforcement. These laws are federal, not state since you will be crossing state lines.

JB1
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
if it was me I would just rent one, and not have to worry about all that, but then if your wanting to sell it.

JPsDuramax
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Also, you need an annual vehicle report for both truck and trailer. MVR for yourself, and you cannot drive (legally) over ten hours. Unless you have a lot of work out of state, I would say a rental unit would be best.

Springmeadows
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I am seeing you guys' view on the headaches on moving equipment this far. I believe I am just gonna rent. I can't afford fines or impounding the equipment if that happens. Just gonna drive the truck and fly under the radar without the equipment/trailer.

GravelyNut
08-05-2010, 10:26 PM
You need warning triangles ( 3 ) and a fire extingusher also.

JPsDuramax
08-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks. I forgot to mention that. And you need spare fuses. The sad thing is I need all of that to operate in GA
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUT1
08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Better to rent.

Blow one tire on the interstate and you;ll pay as much for the road call as you would to rent the machine where youre going.

Its not worth the extra gas and headaches of pulling a few thousand pounds behind you all that way.

Springmeadows
08-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Well, I came up without the trailer/bobcat and I am very glad about that. I really didn't want to mess with pulling the entire thing that far. Man, were the cops out. I found out everyone over 10,000 lbs needs a DOT number and all what goes with it, if you're commercial. I have my truck lettered and have a NC commercial tag, so there would have been no arguing that with a cop. Plus if a tire or whatever went there I would have been messing with that. All is all, it's cheaper and easier just to rent when going this far. Thanks for all the replies, needed all of them to make a good decision.

JPsDuramax
08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm glad things worked out for you. Take some pics and post for us.:)

GravelyNut
08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Well, I came up without the trailer/bobcat and I am very glad about that. I really didn't want to mess with pulling the entire thing that far. Man, were the cops out. I found out everyone over 10,000 lbs needs a DOT number and all what goes with it, if you're commercial. I have my truck lettered and have a NC commercial tag, so there would have been no arguing that with a cop. Plus if a tire or whatever went there I would have been messing with that. All is all, it's cheaper and easier just to rent when going this far. Thanks for all the replies, needed all of them to make a good decision.
Yep, being commercial can be a pain and even moreso if you cross statelines.

Springmeadows
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry, I won't be posting pictures. Too many critics on here. I please my customers, if they're happy, so am I.

whitebp1
08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
for in the future.... ive gone from tn.. through MS and into AL gotten stopped on the way down during daylight hours... i told them i was moving to AL and on my way there... they told be safe have a good one!! on the way back it was dark out so no one really could see anything. the moving trick always works!!

Springmeadows
08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I thought about saying I was moving, but didn't know what the story would be coming home...

Heavyduty1
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I thought about saying I was moving, but didn't know what the story would be coming home...

You could write a bill of sale saying you just bought it out of state. If the machine had no lettering on it, they would have no reason to doubt you.:weightlifter:

JPsDuramax
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
You could write a bill of sale saying you just bought it out of state. If the machine had no lettering on it, they would have no reason to doubt you.:weightlifter:

If his truck is lettered and he is tagged commercial, he still has to meet the DOT standards if he was just "buying" a piece of equipment over state lines. He still would be a non recreational vehicle over 10,000 lbs gvwr.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I would make the suggestion on stuff like this to drive at night and around the scale houses on back roads. Stay away from the cops and run a clean truck and trailer with all lights. If you get pulled over play dumb and be nice this usually works everywhere but Califonia (there must be a state law there that everyone is to hate trucks and the drivers are 3rd class citizens). I'm not suggesting to break major laws and think this will work, but do keep your truck up to DOT code and keep a log book and fill it out right (11 hour rules do apply if traveling over 100 miles from you shop address).