PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Walker MT GHS 26 EFI- Doggin' on Hills ? HELP !

65GTOTrips
08-03-2010, 03:06 AM
I have a 2001 MT GHS 26 EFI. It is a mutt on hills. The "rabbit" is turned all the way up AKA throttle full. Did I buy the wrong mower (bought it used). Is there any performance upgrade I can do ?

I was thinking of buying all terrain tires or the wider turf tires since I am literally slipping and losing traction on a 20-30% grade...

How about a trans ratio change ? Is that possible? I bought it for $2500 and put $2200 into it for deferred maintenance. It cuts like a beast !

I understand it's a finish mower but I have a 2 acre rear valley that I mow.

It just seems like it has "no punch"...How fast is it supposed to go ? I understand it is probably geared to not "overspin" or "turf-up" the grass, but I'd like to have more power and throttle back you know ?

I am NOT a commercial owner , However, I am very mechanically inclined and regularly work on the mower myself...

HELP !

Dave65GTOTrips

Private messageE-mail

65GTOTrips
08-03-2010, 03:50 AM
I forgot to mention I have a 48" deck...
65GTOTrips

NickD
09-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Some things to look at. You say that you have a valley type area that you mow. Walkers have trouble going up hills and thats depending on how steep and if your crawling up it or not. Reason being is that the engine is in the rear of the mower. so you have alot of weight dragging you backwards. Now you back up a hill no trouble with one. I put a speed up kit on mine and it makes it go faster than it comes factory. The max speed is around 11mph depending on what model you have. They are not meant to book through the yard fast anyhow. Something else to consider is that the hydro pumps are going out. just some thoughts. I have a 07 model MT and every Walker i have ever operated never does good mowing sideways on a hill especially one with a good slope if thats possibly what your talking about. Anyhow hope that helps.

AzLawnMan
09-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Take the air lid intake off and clean where the regulator is. Make sure you put a clean rag in the hole so no debris goes in the motor. Sometimes, either after heavy cutting or after cleaning, debris will get stuck in the regulator and when the motor needs more power it cannot kick up because the debris is preventing it from happening. Look at the motor and you will see the small spring that is attached to the regulator, follow that and make sure it is not clogged with grass or dirt. It usually happens to my walkers after we scalp or wash them with a pressure washer. If what I said doesnt make sense let me know and i will post pics or a video.