PDA

View Full Version : Slit seeding equipment

dae06
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I have used a Bluebird Slit(?) seeder in the past. I really didn't like it. It had spinning blades and dropped the seed on top of the beat up soil. It seemed more like a dethatcher with a seed hopper on it.

I do know I liked the Ryan Mataway much better. This was what I thought a slit seeder should be like. This machine actually created a slit for the seeds to drop into. I have read that the revitalizer is quite good too.

Around my area it is hard to find anything but the Bluebird seeder.

My question is this: Is this really how the Blue bird seeders are supposed to work or did I get one set up for dethatching with a seed hopper on it. Is there a set up for an actual slit seeder set up that has disc like blades instead of dethatching blades?

The Ryan-Mataway I rented once did a lot less damage to my lawn and I couldn't even tell anything was done to it the next day. The grass grew very nicely though. I just can't find a rental place that carries one.

LawnSolutionsCP
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I have used a Bluebird Slit(?) seeder in the past. I really didn't like it. It had spinning blades and dropped the seed on top of the beat up soil. It seemed more like a dethatcher with a seed hopper on it.

I do know I liked the Ryan Mataway much better. This was what I thought a slit seeder should be like. This machine actually created a slit for the seeds to drop into. I have read that the revitalizer is quite good too.

Around my area it is hard to find anything but the Bluebird seeder.

My question is this: Is this really how the Blue bird seeders are supposed to work or did I get one set up for dethatching with a seed hopper on it. Is there a set up for an actual slit seeder set up that has disc like blades instead of dethatching blades?

The Ryan-Mataway I rented once did a lot less damage to my lawn and I couldn't even tell anything was done to it the next day. The grass grew very nicely though. I just can't find a rental place that carries one.

Where are you located? Hard to help without this bit of information.

Thanks

David

turfcobob
08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
The unit you are talking about probably has flail or breakaway blades. These are designed to rip up thatch for removal. Bluebird made a seeder box for these units and you are right they worked poorly.

The Mataway by Ryan was orginally designed for verticutting greens. We redesigned it to be an overseeder with fixed 1/8 inch blades on 2 inch spacing so it would work well for overseeding. This was done in the late 1980s
The unit does a good job but is hard to handle and a ton of work. Will not do hills and is expensive to keep up.

In the 1990sTurfco developed a Slicing seeder for home lawns. The blades are 1/8 inch thick and spaced 1.5 inches apart. This makes it good for all grasses including Fescue. The blades pull the unit along and it does hills very well. It is easy to maintain and half the price of most seeders. See it at Turfco.com.

dae06
08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Good deal,

Thanks.

BTW, I am in S.E Minnesota.

LawnSolutionsCP
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Good deal,

Thanks.

BTW, I am in S.E Minnesota.

Send me a PM and I'll have a dealer / sales rep contact you.

I need your contact info.

David

RABBITMAN11
08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
The revitalizer is hands down the very best seeder out there. It's really easy to run as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-06-2010, 01:19 AM
What does the smaller (6HP) Revitalizer run?
Is there a used market network for these machines?

LawnSolutionsCP
08-06-2010, 08:26 AM
We stopped making the 6hp machine 2 yrs ago. Wasn't impressive enough. LCOs would buy is see how much money could be made and then wanted to upgrade to the 9hp machine because it is so much faster.

There really isn't any used ones out there.....people just keep them. You could look at a rental store who has run them for a few years.....they might sell and get a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

dae06
08-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I didn't realize that you quit making the 6 horse 2 years ago. Your web site still advertises them.

I am in S.E Minnesota and can not find a rental place that carries either the Lawn solutions, Ryan-Mataway or the Lesco slit seeder. I can find the bluebird, but really don't want to have to use that one.

Anyone around this area that may know who carries one of the above?

dae06
08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Send me a PM and I'll have a dealer / sales rep contact you.

I need your contact info.

David

I sent you a "visitor message" is that the same as a PM. This forum is a bit different than what I am used to.

LawnSolutionsCP
08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes

Been out doing shows all week and got in the office this morning. I'll get you something shortly.

David
Posted via Mobile Device

EastCoast
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
David,

I purchased a Turf Revitilizer 20" 9hp in February.... I know you sell a carrier for transportation. Do you have photos and pricing?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

sethhobrin
08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I am also looking for a place to rent these better slitseeders than a bluebird in Milwaukee, WI. Anyone know where I can rent a revitalizer, lesco, or any of the better quality ones other than bluebird in the Milwaukeee area?

LawnSolutionsCP
08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Madison is the closest.

Go to your local rental store and have them purchase one for you to rent. It is much easier than what you would think....rental store are always looking for something to bring customers in like you.

If it is a TruValue, Gran Rental, Taylor Rental, Sunbelt, etc...we are already setup as a vendor and they can have one in 1-2 days.

David

sethhobrin
08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I called several tru Values and they all pretty much said no to the idea of buying new equipment. whats even worse is most people I call have no idea what a slit seeder is... Why is it nobody has heard of this stuff??? They all know what a dethatcher is but when I say slit seeder they go HUH???

None of those other rental places are in the Milwaukee area.

Very bummed out nobody rents anything but Blue Bird in a major metropolitan area.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
David

Any Revitalizer rentals in the Rochester, MN area?

Thx,
DA

sethhobrin
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
What do you guys think of Classen S20 turf seeder? I found one at a home depot. Its like the only non bluebird slit seeder I can find to rent.

EastCoast
08-06-2010, 03:19 PM
You guys have no clue what a good aerator or slit seeder is until you use a Lawn Solutions product. I was tired of renting the BB or Classen, so I purchased a LS Turf Revitiizer from David for my home. Great investment.... Quaility products!
Posted via Mobile Device

sethhobrin
08-06-2010, 03:33 PM
You guys have no clue what a good aerator or slit seeder is until you use a Lawn Solutions product. I was tired of renting the BB or Classen, so I purchased a LS Turf Revitiizer from David for my home. Great investment.... Quaility products!
Posted via Mobile Device

No $$$ or room to store it :) Thats Why I am trying to rent one. Wish LS could sell one to one of the many different stores in the Milwaukee area so I can rent it but looks like not at this time.

LawnSolutionsCP
08-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I called several tru Values and they all pretty much said no to the idea of buying new equipment. whats even worse is most people I call have no idea what a slit seeder is... Why is it nobody has heard of this stuff??? They all know what a dethatcher is but when I say slit seeder they go HUH???

None of those other rental places are in the Milwaukee area.

Very bummed out nobody rents anything but Blue Bird in a major metropolitan area.

PM me the rental store and i'll give them a call.

sethhobrin
08-07-2010, 09:42 AM
PM me the rental store and i'll give them a call.

I think I am too new of a member to send a PM. I can't find the option so I will post it here.

Thank you very much! Hopefully you can have better luck than I did. Milwaukee is a major metro area afterall. People have to be sick of these Blue Birds.

CONSUMER STORES
The Home Depot - www.homedepot.com
6489 S 27th Street, Franklin - (414) 304-1024

Tri City True Value
6312 South 27th Street
Oak Creek, WI 53154-1092
(414) 761-2070

RENTAL EQUIPMENT
Hertz Equipment Rental (Store 9466)
More Details
950 W. Rawson Avenue
Oak Creek, United States - Wisconsin 53154
Phone: (414) 768-1811

UNITED RENTAL
Oak Creek, WI 53154
9401 South 13th Street
P: 414-769-1099
F: 414-769-1449
Distance: ~ 1.2 miles

dae06
08-09-2010, 10:07 AM
David

Any Revitalizer rentals in the Rochester, MN area?

Thx,
DA

I have been looking in Rochester, Mn. also, only Blue Bird so far that I have found. If you find one let me know.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I have been looking in Rochester, Mn. also, only Blue Bird so far that I have found. If you find one let me know.

I echo this, being from the Rochester area as well.
David, please contact United Rentals/etc here and try and sell one of your revitalizers to them. I would personally call the rental store and vow to rent the unit this fall if that would ease their mind with the purchase.
Let me know if I can help get your product into the Rochester market.

dae06
08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I echo this, being from the Rochester area as well.
David, please contact United Rentals/etc here and try and sell one of your revitalizers to them. I would personally call the rental store and vow to rent the unit this fall if that would ease their mind with the purchase.
Let me know if I can help get your product into the Rochester market.

I'll suggest this to them as well. :laugh:

sethhobrin
08-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Lawnsolutions, any luck with those Milwaukee area stores? Whats the closest location to find a 6hp or 9hp lawn revitalizer to rent? I'm about to start a project this week and would really love to rent one.

corey4671
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
guys. I rented the 13.5 Lawn Solutions seeder last week with a sulky. WOW!!!! I fell in love with this thing! Needed it again today but someone else had it. Rented the 9hp but no sulky. Still an impressive machine but dang it would've been nice to ride!