PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bentgrass from a lawn

aeration
08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Any suggestions on the best method of removing bentgrass from a lawn seeded with per. rye and bluegrass? I think a landscaper used a mix that must have had bentgrass in it. I have pulled some areas by hand, but have found others. It's only in the back lawn. Would a dethatcher help rip/pull it out and then reseed with bluegrass?

Hineline
08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Any suggestions on the best method of removing bentgrass from a lawn seeded with per. rye and bluegrass? I think a landscaper used a mix that must have had bentgrass in it. I have pulled some areas by hand, but have found others. It's only in the back lawn. Would a dethatcher help rip/pull it out and then reseed with bluegrass?
If the spots are small, use a foam paintbrush and paint roundup on it. If they are larger spray roundup then reseed.

dgw
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
just let it take over lawn, because it will and its nicer

aeration
08-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I hope you are not serious about letting it take over. It looks horrible cutting it higher like the bluegrass. It was to lay over and look matty. It's my back yard, not a golf course. I don't have the equipment to cut it at one inch and perpetually water it.

Hineline
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I hope you are not serious about letting it take over. It looks horrible cutting it higher like the bluegrass. It was to lay over and look matty. It's my back yard, not a golf course. I don't have the equipment to cut it at one inch and perpetually water it.
I see it all day in my travels at all stages. Whole lawns that have been taken over to just small spots. It is a nasty weed as far as I'm concerned. If you can mow it with a reel mower at 5/8 of an inch or so and spray the fungicides it looks great but otherwise it's a cancer......get rid of it! Spray it once and wait a few weeks and spray the crap that emerges from the underground storage to make sure you have killed it all then seed quality grasses into it.....it's the only way!

bigslick7878
08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
How in the hell did bentgrass get in a seed mixture for a home lawn?

Never heard of that.