PDA

View Full Version : Compost

1999frontier
08-04-2010, 08:27 AM
What is compost used for? I want to kill some bermuda in my lawn and this guy said to round up it a couple times and then add compost before I overseed this fall. Any help and a better understanding of compost would be appreciated.

poncho62
08-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Compost adds nutrition to the soil, also helps break up clay type soils

1999frontier
08-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Compost adds nutrition to the soil, also helps break up clay type soils

I've got sandy soil where the bermuda is. Do I need to add any or plug and seed?
Posted via Mobile Device

poncho62
08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Sand doesnt have much nutrition...I would add it

Kiril
08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Add the compost as a top dress to your overseed (1/4-1/2"), and keep doing it for your entire lawn every year and you will dramatically reduce (if not eliminate) your fertilizer and pesticide use.

1999frontier
08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Where do you buy it at? I know some make their own I think. Lowes or a nursery have it? Is there an easy way to spread it other than a shovel and wheelbarrow?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Where do you buy it at? I know some make their own I think. Lowes or a nursery have it? Is there an easy way to spread it other than a shovel and wheelbarrow?

Find a bulk supplier. Buying it by the bag just won't cut it. For small properties (< 1 acre of turf), wheelbarrow, shovel and rake is not that difficult. Once you get into larger properties, there are spreaders you can buy.

jonthepain
08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Most large towns sell it. Raleigh sells it for $20 a pickup load.

Great stuff.

JoJo1990
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Ditto on the truck load. If you have a backpack leaf blower (high powered units) fill the wheelbarrow up and use the blower to blow the compost over the yard .25-.5" thick. This obviously works best if the compost is not wet from rain. Then, rake out any high spots. It's amazing what a few years of this will do to your soil. I was a non-believe and a major hypocrite until I figured what the heck and gave it a go.

Smallaxe
08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
To answer your original question, compost is rotted plant material that creates the natural growing environment for new plants.
It is therefore organic matter, that holds water, supplies material for soil life, builds soil structure, provides Cation Exchange site for fertilizers, and feeds nutrients naturally to the plant.
If you have sand, you have very little in the way of CEC and the ferts quickly are lost to the turf. Compost is necessary for an efficient use of fertilizers in sand and clay.