PDA

View Full Version : B&S Intek troubleshooting

JHC
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Need a little help on my riding mower. Just rebuilt the carb. New gas. Engine starts up fine, runs for about a minute and then dies. It will start back up and then quickly dies again. I noticed the plug was an autolite. I will change it out to RC12YC tonight. Any ideas? Could it be the plug? The carb has an adjustment on it but not sure if this is the problem. I was thinking maybe the fuel solenoid may be not working but I checked and it appears to open and close.

Any help would be appreciated.

JHC
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
The engine numbers are:
31C707-0175-E1

Thanks.

Restrorob
08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Can you slowly apply the choke and keep it running ?

If so you missed a port/jet or something in the carb, If it's a Walbro make sure the jet on the side of the boss where the float bowl nut screws in is fully open. If it's a Nikki make sure the jet in the bottom of the white plastic transfer tube is fully open.

JHC
08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Nope. The choke won't control the shutdown. I need to verify if the gas cap is still good. Maybe it's not venting. Maybe the coil? It purrs real nice for about a minute and then just dies. Will start back up an immediately dies.

Restrorob
08-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Not likely gas cap, It takes a few minutes for the tank to pull a vacuum. What brand machine is this engine on ? Model and serial number ?

JHC
08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Murray, Model 425000X8A, Ser. 7477851631D070. Yr. 2003

JHC
08-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Just had her running for about an minute or so. Then she died. Went to pull the plug and plug wire was too hot to touch. Maybe the ingnition coil?? I put a spark tester on her while hot and no spark and then a little. So I think I may have solved the problem. Maybe....

Restrorob
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
It may be the coil but I don't recall one dropping spark that quick after start-up ?

Just for giggles disconnect the black kill wire between the engine and mower harness and give it a try, This will eliminate a possible safety switch issue and further point to a faulty coil.

FIXDISS
08-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Does it have an oil pressure or low oil shutdown switch ? It could be low on oil and Some engines will override on start then shut down if low or the switch is bad.

topsites
08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
How about your fuel filter, also depending on the age of the fuel lines...
What you might do is with a handy fuel-resistant container unhook the fuel hose at the carb's end
and while catching the fuel with the container is see how it flows through.

dutch1
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
This may seem like a stretch, but you may want to check for a malfuntioning fuel solenoid. Some solenoids are grounded with a separate wire to the engine block and you could have a bad ground although it's not likely that the condition your are experiencing would be so consistent with a bad ground.

It would appear to me that the engine is running until it empties the carb bowl so it would seem to be a fuel supply issue. Do as suggested above--check fuel lines, fuel filter. obstructions in tank, etc.