PDA

View Full Version : "It hasn't rained for a while, skip me this week."

bignamelawncare
08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Tulsa Oklahoma is going through a dry spell (hopefully not a drought). Well my phone started ringing Monday with one of the most dreaded things a lawncare guy can ever hear, "it hasn't rained for a while, skip me this week."
My lawn crew's route will soon have voids in it. ahhhhhhh!

I'm afraid to answer the phone.

Not doing contracts.

Big Bad Bob
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Tulsa Oklahoma is going through a dry spell (hopefully not a drought). Well my phone started ringing Monday with one of the most dreaded things a lawncare guy can ever hear, "it hasn't rained for a while, skip me this week."
My lawn crew's route will soon have voids in it. ahhhhhhh!

I'm afraid to answer the phone.

Not doing contracts.

Part of the business. Live with it. Find some other things to do, like bush trimming and fixing up the beds and such. Good time for a little overall maintenance.

bignamelawncare
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Agreed and we have started dealing with it. It sucks when your schedule gets "out of whack". My yearly income could be down even if we do other stuff to stay busy.

DitchDr
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
we fixed that this year by selling X amounts of mowing for the year. Around here we get on average 40 mowings in before the grass stops. Lets say its a average lawn where it is 35.00

So 35x40= 1400
Now instead of having money come in just during the busy season we split it up into 12 even payments. so that 1400 is 166.00 for 12 months

so even if the lawn does not need to be mowed we can tack on a extra day in the summer when it is growing like wild fire, or we can add a day at the end of the season.
I like this better cause during the slow months where everyone is scrambling for work we sitll have a steady income.

poncho62
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
we fixed that this year by selling X amounts of mowing for the year. Around here we get on average 40 mowings in before the grass stops. Lets say its a average lawn where it is 35.00

So 35x40= 1400
Now instead of having money come in just during the busy season we split it up into 12 even payments. so that 1400 is 166.00 for 12 months

so even if the lawn does not need to be mowed we can tack on a extra day in the summer when it is growing like wild fire, or we can add a day at the end of the season.
I like this better cause during the slow months where everyone is scrambling for work we sitll have a steady income.

$1400 divided by 12 is $116.00....not $166.00........:hammerhead:

Glenn Lawn Care
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Yup I've heard that before, but not this year. We have had a some what of a wet season (raining at least once a week) which is nice.

Ric3077
08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
This is the wettest year I have ever seen in St. Louis. Luckily I don't have to worry about this problem...we have actually been double cutting alot lately

fl-landscapes
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Year round contracts here. Even seasonal mowing should have a set price for the season in my opinion. People always want to pay less when its dry but has anyone ever come out and offered you more in a more than average rainy season? No! It goes both ways, some times we win some times they win...

kodak mowing
08-04-2010, 05:05 PM
here in tennessee weve been going from dryspell to rainy about every day this summer not we have a really hot spell,i get customers who call and tell me it does need mowed this week,so just sip me this week or it doesnt need weedeated this week or just weedeat it,to save money,but i still charge the same cuase if i show up at the job to mow and the run out to tell me when i get there,and they ask me why the price doesnt change i tell them cuase im paying a helper to be there reguardless wether he does work or not.

DitchDr
08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
$1400 divided by 12 is $116.00....not $166.00........:hammerhead:

Details lol.. That was off the top of my head, next time I will call the CPA to make sure its right lol

stan the man
08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
in maine we have being 1 day of rain a week that is great

bignamelawncare
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
FL Landscapes,
SO TRUE! I like your attitude.

fl-landscapes
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
FL Landscapes,
SO TRUE! I like your attitude.

Thanks, I am as fair as they come when I deal with customers (to fair for my own good usually) but I hate it that they never see it when the shoe is on the other foot. Like I say "the customer is always right.....unless their wrong"

RamsayLawnCare
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Man I am glad to hear that some of you guys are getting lots of rain this year. Bignamelawncare I can feel your pain we just got our first nice rainfall for the entire summer. We have gone 3 months without an 1" of rain total. It has been pretty depressing. When I hear the phone ring I get so excited because I cant buy a call this summer. I literally have been cutting weekly lawns every 3 weeks..ouch!

Texas Lawn
08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
we do the same as the person commenting about contracts. Its a set price for a set number of mows. Works out in the dry months cause you still get paid for X# of cuts. Sucks if it rains a lot because you may have to do more than X and you do them for free.

clydebusa
08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
we do the same as the person commenting about contracts. Its a set price for a set number of mows. Works out in the dry months cause you still get paid for X# of cuts. Sucks if it rains a lot because you may have to do more than X and you do them for free.

I believe it is a guessing game. We have had pretty good rain fall until the last 10 days, and boy has it got hot!. Some relief the last couple of days from mid 100's to mid 90's. :cry:

bignamelawncare
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Man I am glad to hear that some of you guys are getting lots of rain this year. Bignamelawncare I can feel your pain we just got our first nice rainfall for the entire summer. We have gone 3 months without an 1" of rain total. It has been pretty depressing. When I hear the phone ring I get so excited because I cant buy a call this summer. I literally have been cutting weekly lawns every 3 weeks..ouch!

Man, That really really really sucks. I feel for ya man. I hope it rains for you and me both.

HustlerRider
08-06-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm in Claremore, just Northeast of Tulsa. Same here, got my first "Skip this week" call, sucks, but it's not all bad. I have accounts that have sprinklers that will always need weekly mowing.

PTP
08-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Bigname,

Do you service weekly accounts only or do you service some every other week? I wonder if that makes a difference in the number of calls.

hornett22
08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Getting a lot of skips here.I have been traveling to Knoxville Tn a lot and it's dry there too.

I just do other things like repair equipment for others.Always have another skill when you have to depend on the weather.