PDA

View Full Version : BR-600 Problem

Fubba
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Yesterday I tore apart my BR-600 in order to replace a broken valve. I replaced the valve and put it back together. Now it won't run. It turns over just fine. And sometimes it will sputter like it wants to crank. I'm thinking air may be getting in somewhere. I redid the sealant at the bottom of the block where the cylinder comes apart, so I'm pretty sure that's sealed up. However, I did not replace the gasket at the valves. Is that necessary to change when you take the valve cover off?

mowerknower
08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
You should replace the gasket but usually it will run (just poorly) if that gasket is leaking.
Are you sure you got the timing set properly? Are you sure the valve guide did not move when the valve broke? Is the cam gear still intact? Did you remove the fan with an impact wrench, that can sheer the flywheel key. Did you make sure the impulse hose is hooked up. Those are just some things that I have seen with the BR600. Stihl does make shortblocks for those. That is usually an better option than a rebuild!

Fubba
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
You should replace the gasket but usually it will run (just poorly) if that gasket is leaking.
Are you sure you got the timing set properly? Are you sure the valve guide did not move when the valve broke? Is the cam gear still intact? Did you remove the fan with an impact wrench, that can sheer the flywheel key. Did you make sure the impulse hose is hooked up. Those are just some things that I have seen with the BR600. Stihl does make shortblocks for those. That is usually an better option than a rebuild!

I took the fan off with a ratchet. The fan still turns the motor, so I assume the flywheel key is intact. I didn't set the timing, and the valves move just fine so I don't think the valve guide moved. It broke off right where the valve starts to get wide. The cam gear is still intact. Where is the impulse hose? Thanks for the reply and help btw.

mowerknower
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
You will need to go back into it and set the timing properly