PDA

View Full Version : I hate my boat

petroskie
08-04-2010, 07:08 PM
The inlaws gave us a 79 larson 16 boat with a 60hp johnson outboard and i swear every time it touches water somthing breaks. i rebuilt the carbs, the lower end, the ignition, controls, electrical, ect and after a fix i can fire it up no problem in the driveway first turn of the key, just like this last weekend i finished the carbs she ran great, put it in the lake and cooked the starter. I think im gunna sell the damn thing and buy a newer I/O next spring. o and the trailer it came on was not nearly rated for this boat so i bought a newer trailer! felt good to get that off the chest

AI Inc
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I bought a 16 ft I/O last yr. Thing sucks . Same deal , floating down the river into lobster pots and the channel . Dosnt want to start . Then it dawned on me. If you go out on the water and have a blast , or it blows , it still costs the same for the day. Didnt even register it this yr. Bought a couple kayaks.

MarcSmith
08-04-2010, 07:15 PM
ahhhh a boat. a hole in the water in which you mercilessly throw money..I had a sail boat, no engine, but same thing, money money money...

Charles
08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Do you use 10% ethanol fuel? Killer for outboards. Hard to start many boats I/O or outboard when they get hot. Fuel just boils away in the carb.

petroskie
08-04-2010, 07:41 PM
it ran for a fully day once this summer with no issues, i use shell 90ct with castrol mix and a shot of seafoam, same as all my 2stroke equipment. i want a newer boat but the wife wants a baby, both very costly

nepatsfan
08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
it ran for a fully day once this summer with no issues, i use shell 90ct with castrol mix and a shot of seafoam, same as all my 2stroke equipment. i want a newer boat but the wife wants a baby, both very costly

go with a boat. it wont need daycare.

MarcSmith
08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
go with a boat. it wont need daycare.
depends on the boat...

Cloud9Landscapes
08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Had a 84 glasstron for about 10 years when I was a kid. Used it only 3 times and it cost me a grand to get it running. Makes a good place for cats and spiders to live. I'm not going to lie, the ford-volvo penta engine was pretty cool. California is the stupidest place possible to own a boat because the only lake around is "lake" puddingstone. I hardly call it a lake because it's always so low. They have too many stupid rules about going one direction on the lake and certain days it's jet ski day and you have to pay extra to use the lake. I can't justify buying a boat again. I would rather have a cool RV and then store it somewhere. I hate looking out there and seeing a albatross of a RV just sitting there in the driveway.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Boats and hoes...

Larommi
08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand

At least its a Johnson, those are easy to work on. Merc's are a pain.

PerfectEarth
08-04-2010, 08:04 PM
I will buy a boat one day. It's one the list.

Fuel Injected!!!

Mowingman
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
The two happiest days in a man's life:
1. The day he buys his boat!
2. The day he sells his boat!

1993lx172
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
That's why we have a canoe.

No motor, no registration required in TN, almost no cost. My dad payed $1500 for it three years ago and the only other cost has been $30 for wood to make a rack for it for the back of my truck and the gas to get to the lakes or rivers. It's quiet so you can get right up to wild life, we can float in as little as 4" of water, and it's a great upper body workout. I've taken a few of my friends out on a local river and they couldn't wait to go out again.

punt66
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I couldnt live without a boat! Treat them right and buy correctly then you wont have a money pit. Stay away from any outboard older then 1990. Johnson/evinrude are the most reliable.

93Chevy
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
If I ever get a boat, I'll probably go all out and get a cigarette boat and then wish I could actually use it in PA.

I wouldn't mind having a canoo, they're pretty fun.

1993lx172
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
If I ever get a boat, I'll probably go all out and get a cigarette boat and then wish I could actually use it in PA.

I wouldn't mind having a canoo, they're pretty fun.

I would highly recommend one of these http://www.marathonboat.com/doubleend-17.asp

We have the standard model and it is stable as the kitchen table and tough as nails. In the years that we have had it the only times it rolled was when my dad and I got turned broadside in a very fast moving current (don't try to go up the Duck River, trust me) and when I took a friend out on a local river and he freaked out when he almost smacked into a snake hanging from a tree (there's a great story about that little trip). It tracks very well in rivers and lakes and with a 36" beam it is very stable for fishing even on lakes. With an aluminum canoe you don't have to worry about grounding, stumps, or rocks as much (it's still best to avoid them). At 85lbs one person can handle it if they had to, and it only draws a few inches of water.

fl-landscapes
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=punt66;3668035]I couldnt live without a boat! Treat them right and buy correctly then you wont have a money pit. Stay away from any outboard older then 1990. Johnson/evinrude are the most reliable.[/QUOTE

Agree with everything except the Johnson/Evinrude thing. Had a johnson on my last boat......had some issues. New boat Yamaha four stroke f150.....best engine I have ever owned. Quiet, instant start evrytime, awesome fuel efficiency.......I know, I wish it was "made in the USA" too.

Gravel Rat
08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
The best outboard out there is either Yamaha or Honda nothing else compares.

I used to have boats the cheapest thing you can have is a 12 or 14 foot tinny with a 9.9 or 20hp engine. Cheap to operate and easy to use.

MikeKle
08-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Going out on a boat is a really fun thing to do, Ive been on a friends boat a few times this year, and love it, but like anything, it does get boring, and when he first bought his boat, they went every chance they got, but now, it sits most of the time, and they dont use it nearly as much. I went thru the same thing with a KX250 a few years ago, I was so excited and rode it all the time at first, then it got boring riding in the same area and trying to find different areas that it was legal to ride etc. So, I wish I had never bought it. Now, Im a little more careful before buying any toys, and try to think it out beforehand. Jet Skis seem really fun and I love them every time I ride one, but Im betting it would be the same thing as the KX250 within a month!

Glenn Lawn Care
08-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I couldnt live without a boat! Treat them right and buy correctly then you wont have a money pit. Stay away from any outboard older then 1990. Johnson/evinrude are the most reliable.

Those older johnson, evinrude etc... like mid 70s are good motors. Thats what all my friends have on their duck boats and they get the crap beat out of them and they run great with no maintenance.

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Bust out another thousand. Buy a Correct Craft and problem solved..... BTW I just sold my 94 Wellcraft 3.0 Mercruiser what a piece of ****... Third Mercruise all suck balls.

Gravel Rat
08-05-2010, 12:45 AM
It is cheaper to have a outboard even if they burn more fuel a I/O can be a maintenance pig and more expensive to maintain.

Out here in Coastal B.C. we have boats called Water Taxis (crew boats) they are boats in 24-26 foot range for carrying work crews etc. Most boats are equiped with 300hp Volvo diesel power the engine and leg is 40-45 grand. A leg lasts about 2 years the engine lasts about the same depending on its use.

Boats are expensive I usually tell a new boat owner give me your wallet they say what for, I want to chuck it into the water.

My neighbours were new boat owners they had some learning troubles like forgeting to have a operational bilge pump in their boat :laugh:

punt66
08-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Those older johnson, evinrude etc... like mid 70s are good motors. Thats what all my friends have on their duck boats and they get the crap beat out of them and they run great with no maintenance.

well i tournament fish and put a lot of hours on a boat. I dont use it to just duck hunt 4 -5 times a year.

topsites
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Well, now you know why they gave it to you, on the other hand
I wouldn't expect much out of some 1979 anything, it's 30+ years old...

That having been said, why don't you sell it?

AI Inc
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Punts right. Dont go with anything older then 10 yrs or so. That was my mistake , trying to do it on the cheap.

ajslands
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Boats are money pits! You should buy a Boston whaler.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
It is cheaper to have a outboard even if they burn more fuel a I/O can be a maintenance pig and more expensive to maintain.

Out here in Coastal B.C. we have boats called Water Taxis (crew boats) they are boats in 24-26 foot range for carrying work crews etc. Most boats are equiped with 300hp Volvo diesel power the engine and leg is 40-45 grand. A leg lasts about 2 years the engine lasts about the same depending on its use.

Boats are expensive I usually tell a new boat owner give me your wallet they say what for, I want to chuck it into the water.

My neighbours were new boat owners they had some learning troubles like forgeting to have a operational bilge pump in their boat :laugh:

They only get 2 yrs out of a Volvo diesel? WOW! those are supposed to be good engines? why do they wear out so quick versus a truck engine on the road?

MarcSmith
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
2 years on a commercial boat being run 8-10 hours a day 7 days a week...is 7300 hours... assume 35 miles per hour on a truck engine that 255K miles...

boat engines IMO are a much harsher environment

PEVO
08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
U wanna play U gots to pay. Bought a (new at the time) 04 Glastron 19+ft bowrider w/a GM 305 with a volvo penta outdrive. Other than a battery, iv'e had no issures with it. & it only cost $19k. Expensive toy to only use a few times a year. Even less now since i bought 2 used 3-seater kawasaki jetskis!(boy now these can be money pits) At this rate, my boat will look new for 20 years since it stays stored inside year round. Along with a 30ft 5th wheel...this make for alot of toys to haul to the lake when we go roughing it out camping!... he he

MikeKle
08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I would like to have one of those cigarette boats. Ive seen a few down on the riverfront, and they are so powerful, when they get on it, you can hear it thru out the whole river valley! It was a Fountain I believe, dont know how many engines it had though. Those are some sweet boats!

Gravel Rat
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
They only get 2 yrs out of a Volvo diesel? WOW! those are supposed to be good engines? why do they wear out so quick versus a truck engine on the road?

Most water taxis run 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week they see a lot of use I forget the hours they get out of a engine. Keep in mind is a 6 cylinder engine smaller than a 5.9 Cummins putting out 300hp. A lot of power for such a small displacement engine to be producing. Companies are switching to the Volvo diesels from the 454 and 496 Gas engines for fuel economy. A 454 fuel injected engine will burn 45 gallons of gas in no time. The gas boats are spending 900 dollars a day in fuel.

Water Taxis are essential to the coast because there is no roads to these remote jobsites the crews get to work every day in a boat and go home the same way a water taxi carries 12 guys. Some of the logging contractors travel 3 hours a day in a water taxi going to work and back 5 days a week for a year or more.

One of the water taxi companies maintenance bill for a year was a little over half a million dollars to keep 4 boats going. A brandnew water taxi is a little over 400,000 dollars.

The only boats worth owning are the ones you make money with. My familly don't own any boats that you don't make money with.

fl-landscapes
08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
The best outboard out there is either Yamaha or Honda nothing else compares.

I used to have boats the cheapest thing you can have is a 12 or 14 foot tinny with a 9.9 or 20hp engine. Cheap to operate and easy to use.

use to use boats like that to fish the merrimac river in the spring for stripers....small alluminum with small outboard.

petroskie
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Boats and hoes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU&feature=fvst
go to this link and this song will pop up in your head every time

petroskie
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
ya im told if you run an outboard all the time they will last, if its here and there they are junk, my dads got a mariner 250hp on his boat and never had a single problem just maint. i think were gunna sell this one and get an open bow I/O, i think there easyer to work on cause they are not much different than a normal vehicle. theres just no winning it sounds like. maybe today ill go down to the marina and start throwing money at the counter and leave empty handed like usual

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
go with a full Inboard and be done with it... The engines are dressed less so its super easy to get to things. You can get to all sides of the engine. There is no drive to really mess with at all. No hydros or gear oil in the water its a no brainier. No transom issues to worry about. Shifting issues are simple. One thing about I/O is the dam shifting, bellows, and transoms. The you have oil getting into the drive or water getting into the trim etc. Gimbal bearings just way to much to mess with. Outboard are good but I don't like the rear of my boat being open so if I have to back up in a hurry I will flood the boat. Fishing you have to worry about waves crashing over the transom. I hate having the flat rear with the engine hanging 3ft behind the boat too on the outboards its just ugly when they do that.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-05-2010, 04:34 PM
well i tournament fish and put a lot of hours on a boat. I dont use it to just duck hunt 4 -5 times a year.

Yeah I see your point... But we hunt from opener til the water freezes and still no problem. But some people dont like them thats cool. An older 15 horse Johnson really isnt good for tournment fishing anyway!

punt66
08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah I see your point... But we hunt from opener til the water freezes and still no problem. But some people dont like them thats cool. An older 15 horse Johnson really isnt good for tournment fishing anyway!

nope, i have 2 boats. A champion 201 with a 200hp johnson gt and a skeeter with a 250 vmax yami. I fish BIiG water. Like lake champlain. If i need to run 40 miles it would take 2 days in a little tin boat. For my boats its 30 min ;)

nepatsfan
08-05-2010, 06:49 PM

that is funny

ajslands
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM

:laugh: http://www.smileyhut.com/vehicles/boat.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

petroskie
08-06-2010, 12:18 AM
im tellen ya eveytime you go to the lake itll pop up, my wife suggested not getting rid of the boat since her parents gave it to us and there feelings will get hurt but to buy a new outboard instead, wonder how big i can go?

wbw
08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
im tellen ya eveytime you go to the lake itll pop up, my wife suggested not getting rid of the boat since her parents gave it to us and there feelings will get hurt but to buy a new outboard instead, wonder how big i can go?

Just tell her parents you liked it so much, you decided to get a bigger/better/newer one. Problem solved.

petroskie
08-06-2010, 10:46 AM
my father inlaw wants it back if we sell it even though ha has a 30ft bayliner with cabin, he wants it as a fishing boat but really he just hords stuff

punt66
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
then give it back and buy a real boat.

MikeKle
08-06-2010, 11:57 PM
I like when people put those big supercharged big block engines in a boat! Now that is some HP! I guess they really dont need a tranny either...right? Is the output shaft just connected to a gear box to run the propellor? and how do they run 2 and 3 engines in one boat? I assume all 3 output shafts connect to one gear box and into one big output prop shaft? I have no idea, and its probably obvious! but I would love to build a boat like this, maybe a 502, 10-71 supercharger, dual dominators!! ya know, about 1000hp!

unkownfl
08-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I like when people put those big supercharged big block engines in a boat! Now that is some HP! I guess they really dont need a tranny either...right? Is the output shaft just connected to a gear box to run the propellor? and how do they run 2 and 3 engines in one boat? I assume all 3 output shafts connect to one gear box and into one big output prop shaft? I have no idea, and its probably obvious! but I would love to build a boat like this, maybe a 502, 10-71 supercharger, dual dominators!! ya know, about 1000hp!

Screw that Turbo....... You just need the same pitch on the props and they sync all the rpms. You just have to get close and then you can trim it out. All the engines are on different props unless you have a diesel electric type ship. The DE ships are your Navy/cruise/freight ship types. A direct drive is like a rear end in a car just doesn't have the same type gears in it to redirect the rotation. A velvet drive is like a transfer case in your 4x4 truck.

MikeKle
08-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Screw that Turbo....... You just need the same pitch on the props and they sync all the rpms. You just have to get close and then you can trim it out. All the engines are on different props unless you have a diesel electric type ship. The DE ships are your Navy/cruise/freight ship types. A direct drive is like a rear end in a car just doesn't have the same type gears in it to redirect the rotation. A velvet drive is like a transfer case in your 4x4 truck.

Id love to see the big drives and gears on those huge freight ships! I bet they are massive. Ive seen the TV show where they detailed the building of a aircraft carrier and the size of things is just crazy, and they only need re-fueling every 25-30 yrs!! How is that even possible? since they are pretty much always on the move? Would the Govt have an energy technology that is super economical that they will not share with us..Gee I wonder!

unkownfl
08-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Id love to see the big drives and gears on those huge freight ships! I bet they are massive. Ive seen the TV show where they detailed the building of a aircraft carrier and the size of things is just crazy, and they only need re-fueling every 25-30 yrs!! How is that even possible? since they are pretty much always on the move? Would the Govt have an energy technology that is super economical that they will not share with us..Gee I wonder!

Carriers and Subs use Nuclear in the US fleets... When they refuel they have to dump waste. They also are pretty green besides the whole nuclear waste thing.

T.M. LAWNS
08-07-2010, 03:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M2SC6nQ4OE&feature=related

T.M. LAWNS
08-07-2010, 03:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ3gzQDaGQw&feature=related