PDA

View Full Version : 15000sq ft fescue to zoysia renovation

MG1228
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
need a little help with this
have 15000 sq ft of fescue that i sprayed with round up 3 days ago (starting to die)

i plan to put down zeon zoysia--i plan on tilling entire area in a couple days>
does it have to b completely dead or not? i dont want to haul much off--dont have much time, as i would like to get the sod down asap to give it time to root in before fall(i live in charlotte nc)

should i till 3 inches or more?

after tiliing im gonna bring in topsoil to level it off--is there something better to use for zoysia? ie--sand or sand topsoil mix. i want it a level as possible.

how long should i wait to put sod down--considering the round up?

should i roll it before and after the sod or not at all?

i should have soil test back in 3-5 days. should i follow theyre reccomendations and till that into the soil or wait till after its rooted?

ok last question--the sod farm can bring rolls of zoysia in 4ft x 70ft. any of you guys have experience with the "big roll sod"? should i use it< they will b installing it as well.

sorry for all the questions---im just a homeowner trying to do it right, any suggestions of any kind will be helpful. thanks in advance

wrager
08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Till or not is highly debated. It can unearth many weed seeds and leave the surface very lumpy. You definately want to level with a tractor and box blade. The big rolls go down much faster and should have fewer seams. I don't see a down side. You'll need lots of water with the high temps we're experiencing in the SE.