PDA

View Full Version : Tifgrand bermuda grass is amazing! Check out the links...

andyslawncare
08-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Have you guys heard of Tifgrand yet? It was only released from a 9 year study last year. Georgia has 400 acres of it now.

It is a very beautiful species with high shade tolerance, insect tolerance, and fall color retention. It is truly a beautiful grass when it is under you foot.
Great job UGA breeders!

http://www.tifgrand.com/
http://www.sodatlanta.com/h_varieties.php#tifgrand

terric
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi.
TifGrand was actually under development for 16 years. It's the result of *28,000* crosses by Drs Wayne Hanna and Kris Berman of UGA, originally selected for it's deep color. It's been trialed at NTEP and for many years on golf courses and residences around the Southeast. There's a lot more info at the website as you noted, www.tifgrand.com.

It's being grown only as a certified sod by a limited number of growers and there are four or five in GA (I see you're in Fayette Co, and there's probably one close to you) as well as several in AL, SC, NC, FL, TX.

When you get your pallet, keep us posted how it does for you.

Stay cool-

andyslawncare
08-06-2010, 02:24 AM
I'll buy a 'model' pallet in the spring. Our high temps are too much for me to deal with right now on my own property.

The model plots that I saw were almost like a greener version of Zoysia. Almost like Zeon...I haven't compared each side by side, but I believe the grasses look similar.

I am very excited about having a shade tolerant Bermuda available!

andyslawncare
08-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi.
TifGrand was actually under development for 16 years. It's the result of *28,000* crosses by Drs Wayne Hanna and Kris Berman of UGA, originally selected for it's deep color. It's been trialed at NTEP and for many years on golf courses and residences around the Southeast. There's a lot more info at the website as you noted, www.tifgrand.com.

It's being grown only as a certified sod by a limited number of growers and there are four or five in GA (I see you're in Fayette Co, and there's probably one close to you) as well as several in AL, SC, NC, FL, TX.

When you get your pallet, keep us posted how it does for you.

Stay cool-

Thank you for the correction on my information... I thought it was 9 years...

Either way, the grass has undergone several thousand or hundreds of tests across many years. It was released for a reason, and the reason being a beautiful, shade and sun tolerant grass, resistant to insect damage.

Az Gardener
08-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Its supposed to be available here in AZ next summer. I already have some plans for it.