PDA

View Full Version : broken leaf spring

BJWLAWNCARE
08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
on an 07 3,000 pound trailor single axle 5 x 10. It broke and turned sideways and ripped the tire up on the side wall just not all the way through. I only put 2 walk behinds on at once a 54 20hp and 48 17hp. maybe 2,000 pounds max if you add the other **** like racks and so on. I wish I bought a dually. Lots of problems with this one. Is this normal because their are no shocks?

doubleedge
08-05-2010, 01:55 AM
My tandem axle trailers don't have shocks and they haven't had that problem. Sounds like you just need a higher weight capacity trailer.

ProTouch Groundscapes
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
we had a leaf spring break on the way home after mowing on our 6.5x12, luckily it just sat down, tire was rubbing on the fender but no damage. just go to tractor supply and get a new leaf along with hangers and hardware. and make sure you replace both sides.

ive been toying with the idea of replacing the 3500lb axle with a 5200lb unit, but just may end up getting a tandem 14' 7K trailer. just need it for random things, the new enclosed gets mowing duty.

seabee1
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
yes what bjwlawncare said you prob exceeded the weight capacity of the spring and broke a u-bolt or clip strap allowing it to fan out and get the tire .you can prob get heaver spring.s to help the situation but eventually the trailer will fail at a faster rate . this happens when you run at or above the rated capacity for a extended time .

bighornjd
08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I agree, the only time I have seen leaf springs break is from abuse. Overloaded and taking rough roads and bumps too fast. Those little flat pieces of steel are holding the whole works, so if they are holding more than they are supposed to, they will fatigue over time and break. You may not have necessarily been overloaded, but being close to the max for extended periods will have the same result.

I recommend etrailer.com for any type of towing or trailer part, I've had great service and pricing from them and they ship fast.

BJWLAWNCARE
08-06-2010, 05:17 PM
got it fixed cost 135 total. The place specializes in spring repair they said they stock them all the time because they will break. Only a matter of time. Why do you guys think I'm at or over the capacity if I have a 3,000 pd trailor and run a little less than 2,000 pounds on it? Yes there are potholes in my area but I only travel within a five mile radius of my home.

Mark Oomkes
08-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Never seen a utility trailer with shocks.

But I have seen broken springs on trucks with shocks.

It happens, it's part of normal wear and tear.

And while abuse may have something to do with it, it is not the only time they will break.

seabee1
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
well you can beef up the springs to the next heavest ,but the ride will get choppy ,buy the way monroe used to make shock mount kits for trailers ,they used them a lot on rv trailers .i dont know if any one has any of them left.

topsites
08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I suspect if the leaf springs broke, you can replace them with heavy duty but what's next?

The way trailers go when loaded, first it's the tires.
Once those are upgraded it either goes into the springs, or the axle.
So if you replace those springs maybe the axle busts?
Beyond that goes the frame.

So what I suspect is perhaps you may have an inferior quality trailer?

Because on my single axle 6x12 I have exceeded 3000 pounds many times, really
I don't even question exceeding 3000 pounds with it, I carry 2000+ pounds at least once a week
and sure it's not something I do every day but certainly more than a few times a year,
it is rated Axle 3500 GVW 2999 but a few times I've hauled as much as 4 thousand pounds on it.

Never in 9 years, other than tail lights not even once has something broken.
The frame is slightly bent but you have to look closely to see it,
the axle does have a light visible bow to it also but it hardly affects it
and I mean I have gotten my money's worth!

Mine's a Carson Utility trailer.