PDA

View Full Version : Toro Personal pace

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm having issues with the wheels locking up when I try to pull it backwards. Sometimes they roll free sometimes they just lock up... Anything I need to check out or is it doomed???

dutch1
08-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Have you ever greased the zerks on the back side of the pivot arms? If not, try giving each 3 to 5 squirts of grease and give it a try. Go to toro.com , check into the consumer area and enter your model number and you can access a parts breakdown. If your unit has gone without lubrication, the engagement dogs get stuck in an engaged position and will not release easily. In addition you will find a nylon clutch washer and a rubber friction washer. Unlubricated, the nylon/plastic clutch washer will get hot enough it will sharp edges which will lead to the wheel not pulling.

BigFish
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm having issues with the wheels locking up when I try to pull it backwards. Sometimes they roll free sometimes they just lock up... Anything I need to check out or is it doomed???

As has been mentioned many times,try this :http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
F you big fish. I don't need your stuiped post seriel number etc. The part I'm talking about is general to all Toro residential push mowers for the last decade or two...

BigFish
08-05-2010, 02:04 PM
F you big fish. I don't need your stuiped post seriel number etc. The part I'm talking about is general to all Toro residential push mowers for the last decade or two...

1. And what part would that be ?????????

2. IF you knew what the part is that has your girly mower so screwed up and your feeble mind so scrambled, then why ask for help?????????

3.Learn how to S-P-E-L-L !!

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Your god BigFish, I forgot you have such a huge operation. BTW I've read all of your post and you've contributed nothing to this site. Not a whole lot of parts on a 21 especially in the drive system. I Just figured it would be to costly to fix compared to buying whole new unit. I will try to grease it. Then I'll take it apart if the grease doesn't work and check out the unit itself. Thanks, BigFish for all the help.

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
BTW the PP is for my rental home that the tenant has to maintain. Its 50 miles from my operation. It's about 10 years old, and its only been used to cut 1500 sqft.

sjessen
08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
BTW the PP is for my rental home that the tenant has to maintain. Its 50 miles from my operation. It's about 10 years old, and its only been used to cut 1500 sqft.

Is your mower the recycler or super recycler? The recycler uses a cheaper transmission which has been more troublesome.

Ruben Rocha
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Pulling it in reverse has nothing to do with the transmission.
When you pull it backwards the drive gears are supposed to free spin on the wheel
The first reply was very close. Never seen a zerk on a personal pace.
Pull the drive wheels off . Clean the wheel.
Remove the drive gear clean the shaft washers etc. Check for worn parts.
Lube it up and put it back together.

mowerknower
08-06-2010, 04:01 PM
When you pull it backwards the drive gears are supposed to free spin on the wheel

Gotta disagree there. The drive gears spin on the shaft when pushing it forward, Hence the click click click sound. When pulling it backwards the gears are grabbing the keys and the hole tranny is turning through. You can see the top pulley moving on the Personal pace. And yes, there are personel paces with grease zerks. Not the cheapo Homodepot onces but on the good aluminum deck ones.
Couple things to check, is there any thing keeping the tranny from tilting when disengaged, It could just be allowing the belt to grab enough that it wont roll back. Also, if it is the good personal pace, make sure you grease the zerk on the input shaft of the tranny (if it has one).

Ruben Rocha
08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Also a note from the operator manual.

Note: If the mower does not freely roll backward
after self-propelling, stop walking, hold your hands in
place, and allow the mower to roll a couple of inches
(centimeters) forward to disengage the wheel drive. You
can also try reaching just under the personal pace handle
to the metal handle and push the mower forward a
couple of inches (centimeters). If the mower still does
not roll backward easily, contact an Authorized Service
Dealer.

watatrp
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM

I've got a Toro personal pace and it has grease zerks. There are nylon parts on each wheel that can get worn and make it harder to pull the mower backwards.

Ruben Rocha
08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Then you must have a super-recycler. Not a normal personal pace.
And in my opinion they are all el-cheapo's.
Even if you buy it from the dealer or the big box stores.
Which, I buy all my equipment from the dealer.
Again no part numbers.
All I can say is I take the wheels off ,clean all the parts. re-lube them and all is good again.

dutch1
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Unless Toro has changed in the last 7 or 8 years, all Personal Pace cast aluminum deck mowers have grease zerks on the pivot arms. I turned wrenches in a Toro shop for 7 years after I retired the first time and I never saw a PP without grease zerks. Even the the Toro SP steel deck 21's had zerks. When Toro went to the 22" Big Box Store junk to compete with the cheaper brands, those pivot arms, whether front or rear wheel drive, did not have zerks as I recall. Just the fact that they went to the 22's make me very suspicious that Toro sourced those out to MTD, to at least punch out the decks and then used Toro parts to complete the mower. Our shop stocked and sold only cast aluminum deck stuff since it was difficult to compete on price with the BBS on the steel deck mowers. Unfortunately, we saw our share of those mowers for repair/warranty which was a PIA.

unkownfl
08-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Mower is a steel deck 21 inch with grease Zerks. I inserted grease into the zerks until good clean grease came out and it's a lot better but still not like new... I would say it rolls backwards about 90% of the time. I will post the serial number when I get a chance if it matters. It has the Briggs 6.5 gts all black engine cover on it and I think it says 1998 on the vin plate for compliance standard but I don't think it's that old.

unkownfl
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
recycler not a super.

dutch1
08-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Briggs engines will have model, type and code most likely stamped on the blower housing. The first two digits of the code will tell you the year of engine manufacture.

The Lawn Ranger CT.
08-07-2010, 12:27 AM
I think there might be key system within the drive wheel system that have a spring on them, mine wasn't a Toro but , did the samething and when I took the drive wheels off I noticed the spring had broken on one side and the other jumped off the key system.
I found this out when I was cutting and disengaged the drive lever, then rolling the mower forward a few inches as Ruben Rocha mentioned.