PDA

View Full Version : Need Grass Help

chrisk
08-01-2002, 02:51 PM
I am a commercial cutter but when it comes to taking care of grass I need help
I live in Kentucky
The weather here has been brutal.
My yard is Fescue / Bluegrass mix. I water approximatley 1 hour every other day.
I have been useing the Scott's annual program and my yard is no where near where I want it to be.
I have weeds everywhere and my grass is not thick green.
For the last three years I have dethatched and re-seeded in the fall and then fertilized with Scotts.
I'm sure there are better products out there than scotts.

Can someone help me get my lawn looking good???????

Thanks
Chris Kelly

1MajorTom
08-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Do not water every other day.

Watering infrequently but longer is much better than watering frequently and for only a short time span.
You want your lawn to get an inch of water of week.
When you water, water long and less frequently.
We have only been watering our lawn once a week and it has stayed green dark green so far this year.

We also aerate our lawn twice a year. In the spring and in the fall.
Overseed your lawn after you aerate if it's not as thick as you want it. (we do not do this step to our lawn as it is really thick)

We have used Scotts in the past on our own lawn. Always looked great, but once we became licensed we started using Lesco products. They too have worked really well for us.

You do not say how large your lawn is. Obviously a smaller lawn is much more manageable to take care of.
If your lawn is small enough, you might even want to consider a total lawn renovation. That's what we did with our lawn.

If this were my lawn, I would wait till the fall to start try to improving it. (aerate and overseed)
Fall also is great time for a total renovation.

In the spring, you will need to put down a pre emergent.

chrisk
08-01-2002, 05:17 PM
exactly what is a pre-emergent????????
How do I get rid of the weeds?????
How do I determine what 1 inch of water is?????
My lawn is roughly 4000sq ft
Also,,,,, Is there anything I can do now???????

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

p.s.
Do you have to be licensed to buy lesco products??????
What do you mean by total lawn renovation???????
Sorry for all the questions.

Ricky
08-02-2002, 12:23 AM
First thing to do is to get a soil test. What part of KY?

1grnlwn
08-02-2002, 01:20 AM
First of all there is no instant fix. The only way to battle weeds is with thick tall turf. Concentrate on the grass first then kill the weeds. If you don't aerate, start. When the ground is good and moist this fall aerate and seed and fert. Aerate again in spring and then worry about spraying weeds if any. Put a tuna can in the yard, when it has an inch of water in it you have watered that area an inch.

Mark