PDA

View Full Version : Geogrid > Deadmen?

Inspira
08-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking of building a wall using 6x6 treated posts. Would it make sense to use geogrid for lateral reinforcement instead of the traditional deadmen? Or is grid only for block walls?
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
If you have the room then I would go for the traditional method of using "deadmen". The geo grid needs to have something to grip and with the smooth walls of the timbers you may be wasting your time. You will need to excavate beyond anyway to install drainage pipe and stone. All this aside though if you have a method of securing to the posts then I think it could work.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Why would you build a wall with wood, for it only to rot in a few years?

zedosix
08-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Why would you build a wall with wood, for it only to rot in a few years?

I've seen some srw products rot (fall apart) in less time than quality lumber. If the wood is preserved well and its readily available then its a viable option.

Inspira
08-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, my neighbor has the same type wall, standing for over 20 years. He cleans/seals it now and then, but still looks nice.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh lordy.

You have GOT to be kidding me. "Well preserved" wood? I guess if you're made of money - then go for it.

"rotten concrete"? Well....I guess if EP Henry or Cambridge made it - it could rot.

"Cleaning/sealing" the wall? What, does your neighbor excavate the soil, clean and seal? Dude, I have a feeling your neighbor is cleaning / sealing the wood that is visible......and not in contact with the ground. Pop your neighbor's wall apart and I bet the truth is exposed.

It's the part that is in ground contact that rots.

I love when prospective clients tell me they want to do a wall using p-treated 6x6 timbers. I say "it'll rot". They say "oh no it won't" I then open up my photo album with pictures of rotten wood from wooden r-walls we have taken down and replaced with concrete.

Ta each his own, good luck!

zedosix
08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I've replaced permacon steps and walls after 2 seasons and don't even talk to me about that hollow crap you have to fill with stone, who makes that stuff, ya allan block. Wood is fine as long as it has proper drainage and the ends are sealed. Its not pretty but show me a srw wall after 20 yrs and I bet it aint pretty either.

shovelracer
08-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Wood was at one point a considerable savings over srw, but now at $25 a timber or whatever, it is a different story. I will bet that a bad timber wall will likely stand longer than a bad srw wall though for the first 15 years.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
ok, so I guess your house sits on a wood foundation??

C'mon boys, lets be realistic..........

DJJS
08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
A well built SRW should last forever, a well built timber wall won't last forever, it'll rot out over time no matter what you do to it. As far as using geogrid, I've never used it on timber walls, and don't plan on it in the future. Deadmen are the way to go.