PDA

View Full Version : ford F350 Mileage increase

pjnlandscape
08-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I bought a new leftover 2009 F350 this spring with a 5.4 gas engine. The fuel economy is leveled out at 12 mpg's with mostly city driving and light towing. Has anyone bought a cold air intake or used any other aftermarket parts to increase mileage? I do not care about added power or torque although it would be nice. Does this void factory warranty?

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
You're not going to get any better mileage adding anything to it. Its all hype don't you think if the manufacture could get away with using less materials to increase mileage they'd do it? The intake is designed the way it is for the MAF sensor. Most CAI trick the air meter into thinking its getting less air so it leans out the engine thus the increase in mileage. This is not a good thing for your engine especially while towing. Leaner running conditions also increase power to an extent finding this fine line is very hard and its not very likely the after market has for every vehicle nor do they tend to want too. Unfortunately the only way to increase mileage is to learn better habits and if you're comfortable with the way you're driving then just accept the mileage you're getting. BTW be happy you're getting those numbers I get 10.2-10.5 with my 2010 f-150 4.6 3v the on board computer says 12.5 but my calculator says different every time I calculated it.

bighornjd
08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
A one ton truck with a gas engine isn't gonna get good mileage anyway you slice it. just the nature of the beast. If you wanted better mileage should have sprung for the diesel, although I haven't heard many great mileage reports with the new emissions motors. Plus by the time you figure in the added cost of diesel fuel and the extra cost for the diesel option, it takes a long time to reap the benefits. Only immediate advantage is towing power.

pjnlandscape
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I would have sprung for the diesel if one had been available but i agree with what u said, it takes a lot of diesel fuel to reap a nearly ten thousand dollar benefit. Plus I only tow small trailers short distances so increased towing power was not a must.

i think i will save myself $300 dollars and forget about an air intake

360ci
08-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Keep it as light as you can, don't need it? Leave it at home or at the shop.

Milwaukee
08-08-2010, 02:13 AM
My 01 F250 SD 5.4L with over 200K miles I can pull 16.6 mpg with minor of tow 6K pounds.

Well you need start light foot on gas pedal. If I drive like you I get 10-12 mpg.

Before you called me BS. I see some 5.4L capable get 20-24 mpg from those retired people.

360ci
08-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree, it's all in how you drive, be it weather conditions, speed, and weight of the load. Keeping any TRUCK under 65mph will pay dividends at the pump!

thom
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I bought a new leftover 2009 F350 this spring with a 5.4 gas engine. The fuel economy is leveled out at 12 mpg's with mostly city driving and light towing. Has anyone bought a cold air intake or used any other aftermarket parts to increase mileage? I do not care about added power or torque although it would be nice. Does this void factory warranty?

do you know your cost per mile at the 12 mpg your getting?any attempt to improve the fuel economy will add cost per mile.

360ci
08-08-2010, 11:06 AM
My 2000 Durango runs about $0.42/mile just for base operating costs.

Now, keep in mind that's the average over the last 6 years, including everything from repairs, tires, to fixing the air conditioning AND fuel. i would imagine a 12mpg vehicle would be in the half a buck a mile range at least, plus labour costs to drive it.

jkilov
08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
My 01 F250 SD 5.4L with over 200K miles I can pull 16.6 mpg with minor of tow 6K pounds.

Well you need start light foot on gas pedal. If I drive like you I get 10-12 mpg.

Before you called me BS. I see some 5.4L capable get 20-24 mpg from those retired people.

He's right, I get about 16mpg from my 5.4 as well.

If you have a manual box, just gear higher, shift up sooner and keep at mid throttle. Trust me your mileage will go up.