PDA

View Full Version : Price: Hedge trimming

Will P.C.
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I have recently been flooded with people wanting their hedges trimmed, but never know what to charge. All of this work is in the same neighborhood where all the homes look the same.

I would say 15-20 hedges with some of the bushes being 4 feet and while others being 12-15 feet, but needed to be brought down to

Do you charge by hedge, say 6 dollars per bush, or an overall flat fee. Each job is probably about 1.5 hours working alone and all the debris will obviously be picked up. I charge 50-60 dollars, but would like to see what others would charge. I do not want to overcharge anyone, but do not want to undercharge. Some of these people have not ever trimmed their hedges in the 4-5 years since they have been built, so they do not look as neat as the ones pictured which means more work

Here is an example of a house on the block and all the landscapes are pretty similar.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3iljZ9gwv8c/TD9h1fQE2MI/AAAAAAAACzY/wD0HxbE0-fk/s800/DSCF1830.jpg

dex242
08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
for 1.5 hours 50-60$ is not enough. When I trim we go 2 guys and i aim for 100-125$ an hour because not everybody can do a good job on trimming. Since your alone go for 50-60$ an hour. Good luck

Will P.C.
08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The last house I did a few weeks ago took me over 2 hours because the person had a jungle in front of her house. This house was next door to the pic I took with the same amount of bushes.

The pic of the house is my house and I can do it in about an hour, but I keep on top of things.

I was afraid I was shorting myself money

ChevHayes
08-07-2010, 12:49 AM
For a 1.5-2hr bush job, it's easily worth 80-90$. AT 90$ that 60/hr labor rate. Don't forget the more overgrown they are the more mess they make and the longer it takes.

STIHL GUY
08-07-2010, 09:51 AM
itrim hedges with an hourly rate and add a dump fee in the end

yardatwork
08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Price them per shrub. My prices range from $3/per shrub and up. Knee height...$3-$5, knee to waist...$6-$8, waist to shoulders...$9-$12, above shoulder height...more than $12. If it's a row of shrubs grown into a hedge...count how many individual shrubs make up the hedge and price it individually and add the total up for one whole price. Just easier than guess how long it's going to take in trimming "x" amount of shrubs, etc. This should get you a much ballpark estimate. Then add a removal/hauling/dump fee at the end of your total. But keep in mind...some shrubs are easier to trim than other and there are variables to consider. But this should get you started on estimating better.

stan the man
08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
i do my by the hourly rate for 1st time and once i have done them flat rate them all my account are now flat rate i know how long take me

Will P.C.
08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
It is now obvious that I am under pricing. I did a house on Friday afternoon in the GA heat and a little over 2 hours. I had to take many breaks because I went through 6 water bottles and the customer wanted to tweak the irrigation system.

What kind of rates are you charging for haul fees? I am able to dump all my clippings in the woods nearby. I did about 8 wheelbarrow loads yesterday, and I would imagine that it would fill up the same amount of "contractor" bags from my previous experience.

Thanks for everyones input so far. I am going to price my next yard in the 100dollar range

Florida Gardener
08-08-2010, 01:25 AM
i don't understand why anyone charges per shrub. palms and hardwoods, yes. At that there is no flat rate either. The more work, the more it costs. Figure out how long it will take you to do the job, multiply that by your hourly rate and add dumping if you have to do that.

Landscape Poet
08-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I am with diamond - does the customer care what you are charging per.....prob not...just figure out what you want you think you can get in terms of profit and go with that number....all the consumer wants to know is what is it cost them bottom line -
On overgrown shrubs I understand the removal of debris - but if reasonably maintained why not just return clipping under the bed with blower?
Posted via Mobile Device

yardatwork
08-08-2010, 05:48 PM
i don't understand why anyone charges per shrub. palms and hardwoods, yes. At that there is no flat rate either. The more work, the more it costs. Figure out how long it will take you to do the job, multiply that by your hourly rate and add dumping if you have to do that.

I'm in PA, not Florida. So pricing styles are different since shrubs and plants are different. We don't have palms! Pricing per shrub for me is much easier than guessing how long something will take. There is more flexibility this way. I've never lost out this way. If you under estimate an hourly...you've screwed yourself.

ChevHayes
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I am with diamond - does the customer care what you are charging per.....prob not...just figure out what you want you think you can get in terms of profit and go with that number....all the consumer wants to know is what is it cost them bottom line -
On overgrown shrubs I understand the removal of debris - but if reasonably maintained why not just return clipping under the bed with blower?Posted via Mobile Device

Up north, we use mulch. When you trim a yellow or green bush or shrub, the clippings don't exactly camoflauge well with a black or brown mulch.

stan the man
08-08-2010, 05:57 PM
also cleaning the clipping is part of the job

Florida Gardener
08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Well, price per shrub then. We have so many different types of plants and ornamentals that they all require different types of pruning(assuming you are doing it correctly or know what your doing which most around here don't). I still think pricing per shrub is stupid. Well, this one is 6.25' and this one is 6.5' so it will be 6.50 for that and 7 for this....it sounds like nickle and diming to me. To each his own though.

cpel2004
08-08-2010, 06:36 PM
$ 65 to 75 per hour, this price doesnt include haul away. That would be extra.

South Florida Lawns
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Man you guys up north do things ass backwards I put 3 guys on trimmers 1 on a blower blowing out clippings and a guy on the Z mulching it up. And our prices aren't messed up at least not my area's which are new and you basically name a price.

Landscape Poet
08-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Up north, we use mulch. When you trim a yellow or green bush or shrub, the clippings don't exactly camoflauge well with a black or brown mulch.

We use mulch too, however if you have a shrub that is 9 foot wide and 3 foot deep - there is a lot of room under the shrub, which I might add mulch should not be for the health of the shrub, in which the clippings can be returned. Unless the plant has a disease, why not return the clippings and let them work their magic? It is kind of like gathering up fertilizer and taking it to the dump right? :rolleyes:

stan the man
08-08-2010, 08:19 PM
all account want the clipping out so rmoving the clipping are part of the cost

Will P.C.
08-08-2010, 08:59 PM
On overgrown shrubs I understand the removal of debris - but if reasonably maintained why not just return clipping under the bed with blower?
Posted via Mobile Device

Even though these people live in 450,000+ homes, they are cheap. Probably 50% of them will wait until the HOA sends them a notice before they will have it done. Since it has been 3-4 years since these homes were built, it is that time right now.

We use pine straw in the suburbs of South Atl.

I agree with you on letting the clippings go back into the soil. I usually make a quick swoop, and pick up the larger pieces. No way I could pick up anymore, without removing a decent amount of pine straw. Moreover, the clippings turn brown by the next day and start decomp

dgw
08-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Man you guys up north do things ass backwards I put 3 guys on trimmers 1 on a blower blowing out clippings and a guy on the Z mulching it up. And our prices aren't messed up at least not my area's which are new and you basically name a price.

not all of us:laugh:

dgw
08-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Price them per shrub. My prices range from $3/per shrub and up. Knee height...$3-$5, knee to waist...$6-$8, waist to shoulders...$9-$12, above shoulder height...more than $12. If it's a row of shrubs grown into a hedge...count how many individual shrubs make up the hedge and price it individually and add the total up for one whole price. Just easier than guess how long it's going to take in trimming "x" amount of shrubs, etc. This should get you a much ballpark estimate. Then add a removal/hauling/dump fee at the end of your total. But keep in mind...some shrubs are easier to trim than other and there are variables to consider. But this should get you started on estimating better.

i have 2 shoulder height, wide overgrown burning bushes in my yard

ill give you 18 bucks to come prune them and clean up

oh and they need to be hand pruned:laugh: