PDA

View Full Version : whats up nod to other lawn service crews?

beachtownlawnservice
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
do you guys give a whats up nod to other crews you see around town? I try to be friendly and give a nod to other crews and they just look at me like im crazy...whats wrong with people?

unkownfl
08-05-2010, 11:01 PM
We wave around here. Sorta the hand half way up deal... Maybe they think you're trying to intimidate. Are you nodding up or down?

JTlawns2
08-05-2010, 11:11 PM
We get ignored

ajslands
08-05-2010, 11:13 PM
i wave to all but one LCO, and he is the one that every one hates! and he hates everyone!

PLS-Tx
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm friends or maybe I should say friendly with all the guys that have been around for years.

Whats funny is, some of the newer ones won't even wave.

-Dalton-
08-06-2010, 01:22 AM
always nod or do the thing where you unwrap a finger or two from the top of 12 o'clock position on the steering wheel as a quick wave

dgw
08-06-2010, 05:48 AM
yes, i nod to every one , and they usually nod back

Texas Lawn
08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
i stopped noding because nobody seemed to do it back. Good to see most people doing it, kill them with kindness

stan the man
08-06-2010, 11:48 AM
i wave we all know all company round here and we have lunch together

TNGrassCutter
08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
No one around here will wave, ive tried they all look the other way, even the big guys with 3 ztrs and 5 people all the way down to the guy pulling a craftsman on a 5x10 trailer no friendliness

LawnoftheMonth
08-06-2010, 01:07 PM
everyone gets a wave from me :waving:

starry night
08-06-2010, 01:20 PM
... Are you nodding up or down?

I was going to ask this same question. My son nods up. I nod down.
My son says this is a generational thing.

bc3xx0
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I think most people around here are more interested on what is on the other guys trailer to notice the fool driving the truck!!!

Plus, I am usually too busy texting to see who I am passing!

bc3xx0
08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I was going to ask this same question. My son nods up. I nod down.
My son says this is a generational thing.

I always thought nodding down was "how are you?" or "ok I acknowledge your existance" and nodding up was "whats up?" but those same words, or nod could mean "whats up, you wanna fight me?"!!

I need a body language manual.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
We just throwing up one finger when we drive by. Alot of times they will get right next to me to check out my equipment on the trailer, then I roll coal in their face!

bignamelawncare
08-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I've got a 2000 F-450 7.3 straight piped for better gas mileage. "Rollin coal son!" hells ya. That bad boy rolls coal all day. I always give respect to my fellow lawn folk. Wave or nod up. I always nod up.

beachtownlawnservice
08-06-2010, 11:04 PM
people are weird,, i could be driving the fire truck and give a nod to a lawn crew and they would go out of there way to give the common courtesy nod back. the next day i could be driving my truck and trailer give the same crew a nod and they look at me like I'm crazy.

funny thing happen today... another crew passed by while i was loading up after a job today and gave me tha how do ya do nod. and i returned the gesture...

MR-G
08-23-2010, 10:02 PM
we all wave, nod ect to almost everyone...our local shop..the biggest shop in town has a x mas party every year...a july 4th party every year...the key here is they invite all their customers and their families...they raffle off equipment...have a 50/50 drawing...great food and live band....open bar and usually has about 100-200 guests.....its all a write off for the shop and great advertising as well...:usflag: point is they have gotton all us lawn guys together...kinda like here.

kilgoja
08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
i've figured out to wave or nod only if they wave or nod first...cuz if i do it then they don't do it back i feel stupid lol...i've always thought of nodding down was something you did to someone you don't know...like a friendly nod...and a nod up is for people you know...like saying what's up...who knows lol

cgaengineer
08-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I give all the ones I see my middle finger. :)

Seriously, I usually do the 2 finger off the wheel wave, most wave back...
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
08-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Personally, I could give a rat's ass less if I nodded, bobbed, waved or saluted another LCO vehicle and crew.
I'm not out here to make friends, enemies or more ex-wives, I'm on the road from one job to the next. Should I happen to acknowledge an adjoining vehicle is rare and with all of the poorly skilled drivers in my a.o., making a habit to look for and wave at other LCO's is patently ridiculous.
Besides, most of these other guys would screw their own mothers for a nickle given the chance but I wouldn't - I've seen their mothers so I wouldn't go over a penny.

hotwater
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Personally, I could give a rat's ass less if I nodded, bobbed, waved or saluted another LCO vehicle and crew...most of these other guys would screw their own mothers for a nickle given the chance but I wouldn't - I've seen their mothers so I wouldn't go over a penny.

That's funny!

Jb3NH
08-24-2010, 07:20 PM
I absolutely give a quick nod or a short wave to others. If they do not throw back a little acknowledgment i assume they hate their jobs, are in the wrong trade, and more importantly probably hungover and more concerned with getting stoned then the quality of their work.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
most guys that have been around wave. Newbs dont, cept me.

Jb3NH
08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
newbs like you i'll drop a retaining wall or a property owner outside my service area :) Do onto other as you would..... and all that jazz

Shasta Lake Landscaping
08-25-2010, 02:21 AM
I think most people around here are more interested on what is on the other guys trailer to notice the fool driving the truck!!!

Plus, I am usually too busy texting to see who I am passing!

Same, only stop txting to look at the trailer.

hornett22
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
it costs nothing to be nice and I am friends with many of them.We help each other out when one of us has a problem.

Not to mention I take trees down for a few of them.

Texas Lawn
08-25-2010, 10:42 AM
i have to nod or wave for most people in my area, it may be the only communication that I do that they can understand

Turf Commando
08-25-2010, 08:50 PM
There's a few LCO'S that are foes, but most friendly ....
After a few years driving through different towns, you know who's cool and who to avoid...

93Chevy
08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
My criteria is as follows.

Driving right hand: left hand micro-wave
Driving left hand: two finger wave
Outside with both hands free: cool little wave where I start with open palm then "point the gun"
Outside with both hands occupied: nod down or up depending on my position
Running the Z: left hand two finger salute
Running the WB: let go left hand and wave while careening into the nearest house on right side.

Chevy z71
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
none around here all they do is stary at you or your equiment

Chevy z71
08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
stare............

cgaengineer
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM
There's a few LCO'S that are foes, but most friendly ....
After a few years driving through different towns, you know who's cool and who to avoid...

Same here, mostly amigos cutting lawns...us white people are a minority in lawn service.
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
08-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I give them the double bird wave.

LawnGuy73
08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
do you guys give a whats up nod to other crews you see around town? I try to be friendly and give a nod to other crews and they just look at me like im crazy...whats wrong with people?

I try to wave your nod all the time, sometimes I get one in return most times not. I think its arrogance on thier part.

rogerdodger
08-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I dont wave to get a wave back. I just wave to be neighborly. But a wave back is good

BCLawns
08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I usually wave at the guys I see on a weekly basis. Most of the time I'll stop and say hi, if we aren't too busy. But if I was to wave at every lawn truck I saw in central florida ..... my arm would fall off in about an hour. There's usually about 4-5 different lawn crews sitting at any traffic light at any given time. Anyone with a station wagon and a push mower (or in some cases a shopping cart) is now mowing lawns for money.

TNpride
08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
i wave, we all wave,especially in my general area most all of us go to same landscape and hardscape provider, and well i guess you could liken it to an old barber shop for lawn guys, most legit companys know each other

deere615
08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
I wave sometimes nod. Some wave back some look at me like an idiot, and some are waving and beeping there horn before I even see them lol

C & T Landscaping
08-30-2010, 09:14 PM
My criteria is as follows.

Driving right hand: left hand micro-wave
Driving left hand: two finger wave
Outside with both hands free: cool little wave where I start with open palm then "point the gun"
Outside with both hands occupied: nod down or up depending on my position
Running the Z: left hand two finger salute
Running the WB: let go left hand and wave while careening into the nearest house on right side.

:laugh:I hope you have good insurance!!:laugh:

93Chevy
08-30-2010, 09:24 PM
:laugh:I hope you have good insurance!!:laugh:

hahaha, happens at least twice a day. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

lakesregionscapes
09-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Around here most everyone waves in general, even the folks walking the dirt road as you squeeze by in a cloud of dust. Other LCO crews usually wave (been known to share gas a few times too) and trade "how's it goin' " crossing one another on a tight road. New guys get stared at for a month or so while you try to figure out if they're new, or a regular with a new rig... Often the "new guy" was on someone else's crew last year, and waved then too.

It doesn't hurt crew members to be friendly around here also because there are few enough companies, that we know most of the guys by sight at least, and if they're looking for a job down the road, it pays to have made a good impression...

LoweJ82
09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
typically I wave or nod up.... as in whats up, now and then you gotta give the WTF you looking at look to the guys who dont nod or wave back but just stare as if someone implanted a set of tits on your rig.

Im more game to be nice in the mornings after a long hot day I just wanna get home and its a half ass 2 finger wave more like a peice wave

txgrassguy
09-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Nope, I just ignore them. Anyway I am so busy going from contract to contract and avoiding the ******s on the road to pay attention to another company's rig.

Personally I could give a rat's ass what they think.

beachtownlawnservice
09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
WOW. never thought this thread would go this far.
it all boils down to common courtesy. being the new guy, and coming from profession where its all about the brotherhood i try to nod at all the crews. I'm out here waving, nodding my arms and head off like a dumb ass. and some of these guys look at me like i just trimmed there ol' ladys bush.where is the common courtesy? the brotherhood? were all out here doing the same s@#t. come on guys theres more than enough yards to go around. dont be so pissy

ShooterK2
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
You folks are putting WAY too much thought into this.....
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
You folks are putting WAY too much thought into this.....
Posted via Mobile Device

That's probably why I haven't been on a date in over 2 years...too much time worrying about waving.

Texas Lawn
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
dont know if I would call it a brotherhood, maybe you just have unrealistic expectations. Im just happy if the other crews dont give me the finger

CutterCutter
09-07-2010, 12:20 AM
You meet all kinds.

I work alone so I have to keep an eye on my equipment when I'm in a public area. I was doing a fast food restaurant one day and noticed a guy hanging around my truck. I ride my mower back to the truck and tell the guy I keep a close eye on my equipment and I'm uncomfortable having him hang around the truck.

He tells me he's a LCO and points to his truck and enclosed trailer which is parked nearby which eases my mind. He then starts to tell me how his equipment is better than mine. I say have a nice day and ride off. Some people are just strange.

I have waved before but like everyone else, I'm usually so busy fighting traffic and so tired from working there's not much time to wave.