PDA

View Full Version : wire suppliers/copper prices

David Gretzmier
08-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I have been buying LV 12 and 10 guage from Garden Light over the past couple of years, and was initially pleased with the prices, but of course, things have gone up a lot. but I like that I can buy a few spools at a time as jobs close rather than a full pallet of wire. I might be encouraged to buy a whole pallet over the winter if the savings with shipping make sense.

I know folks don't like to quote what they pay exactly here, but what I pay for 12-2 has went up almost 50 percent over the last 18 months. So I am looking at options. Where would you guys reccomend me shopping?

Locally at Home depot and lowes it looks like 12-2 is about 185 per 500 foot spool, and ebay looks to be around 165 per spool, including shipping. my local Ewing irrigation supply price is higher than both of those, and Garden Light is still lower, but not by much.

Any ideas?

steveparrott
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
David,

CAST No-Ox tin-coated landscape lighting wire (http://www.cast-lighting.com/products/wire/) is in the range (even less than) the prices you quoted.

We've held prices as low as possible and haven't had a price increase in the last 8 months.

Fordsuvparts
08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I would talk with someone at Lowe's I bet they could give you a better price than anyone else if you talked to the right person. You would have to buy in bulk.

Pro-Scapes
08-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I would suggest you discuss a bulk price with either a local dealer or a national distributor.

I know I can go into my local irrigation dealer and negotiate a fair price for both of us if I commit to buy 10-20k ft at a time. Even at 5k they will give a break on it.

If you want to buy a roll or 2 at a time you cant really expect much of a price break. We must be on different planets or something because my average job eats about 5-6 reels of wire.

David Gretzmier
08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
my average job is around 5k, but that means I did a 2k, 7 light job this week and a 7k 34 light job last week. I used around 700 feet 12 and 10 guage on the 7k job and maybe 200 feet on the 2k job. One of the largest jobs I have done was a month or so ago, a 20k plus 103 fixture job, I am pretty sure I used 3-4 500 ft. spools of 12 and 1 1/2 spools of 10.

it varies by job, but I really don't seem to be able to confidently buy 10-20k feet of wire or 20-40 500 foot spools. unless I am saving thousands of dollars per year, I'd rather keep inventory low, buy as I need and keep just a few spools around.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-10-2010, 12:35 AM
You should be able to negotiate a good bulk price with your local distributor based on your annual purchase volumes. Then they can bring the wire into stock and you pick it up as you need it. Wire is a commodity, and generally ubiquitous... don't be afraid to squeeze your suppliers on it's price.

I order my 12/2 1500 Meters at a time on 300m spools... about once a month. The distributor has it dropped shipped to me (free shipping on min order) direct from the break-bulk supplier. It is a good relationship for all of us.

David Gretzmier
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
James- my local distributors are ewing and keeling, and I have asked about annualized pricing based on volume, and it is not happening. In the spring of next year after Christmas light season is over and I am flush with cash, I would love to talk to your vendor about buying enough wire to get me through my landscape light season. 300 meters, lets see that is, what, 984 feet per spool? think they could round that up to 1000 foot spools for us non metric folks?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-11-2010, 09:53 PM
David - Seeing that wire is a rather heavy item to ship, and that the manufacturer of the wire we use is located here in Ontario, as is the break-bulk distributor and my lighting distributor, I doubt that you would see any cost advantage to purchasing your wire from my suppliers. That being said, I will provide you with their contact info and you can inquire when you are ready.

Pro-Scapes
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
James- my local distributors are ewing and keeling, and I have asked about annualized pricing based on volume, and it is not happening. In the spring of next year after Christmas light season is over and I am flush with cash, I would love to talk to your vendor about buying enough wire to get me through my landscape light season. 300 meters, lets see that is, what, 984 feet per spool? think they could round that up to 1000 foot spools for us non metric folks?

I have bought wire from Keeling. It is Regency cable brand and seems pretty nice. Easy to work with. Have them send a request to the sales manager for pricing on 5k ft if you are not happy with buying 10k ft. They will give you a decent discount. If you dont like the price ask them to try again. You can order wire in 250...500 and 1000 ft reels from most suppliers.

They bring it in to the local store prepaid on a pallet and just drop the pallet in my truck in 5 min. As James stated when you start shipping wire via any means other than pallet you will quickly lose your savings. If you cant pick up a min of 10 reels at a time I wouldnt think your going to find much of a break on the price of it.