PDA

View Full Version : Walker vs. Giant Vac bagging system

Cut 2 Please
08-01-2002, 04:43 PM
I was unable to get a very good account yesterday because I do not have bagging capabilities. I am trying to figure out if I would be better off buying the giant vac set up for my Ferris 3000 of spend the money and buy a Walker? I am leaning towards the Walker but don't really want to spend that much money right now. I need some sugestions. Thanks.

E-man
08-01-2002, 06:38 PM
If you are going to bag alot of accounts then go with the walker .
If it is for a select few then try and educate them on the benefits of mulching.

But if bagging is what you really want to start doing, the walker is the only way to go. I own two and I speak from experience that there is no other bagging unit that even comes close.

captdevo
08-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Walker is the best bagger....hands down!

MOW ED
08-01-2002, 06:47 PM
The Walker is the tool. I have one and it is more versitile than having a big giant vac pulling behind you or having to gas up and maintain a seperate motor. The Walker can be used for dethatching in the spring and fall leaf cleanup. My Walker has made me a good bit of cash. I don't bag grass in the summer as I use the 52 SD w doubles but I have a 42 GHS deck that gets put on in the spring and fall.
Give one a try. Its not as expensive as you think once the money comes rolling in.

gene gls
08-01-2002, 10:31 PM
cut 2 please,

In my opinion the vac unit that is designed for Farris would work better than the other aftermarket brands of collection units.

Before you buy a Walker, demo a Hustler Z with the Bac-Vac unit. It cuts and sucks circles around my Walker.

Gene

Brickman
08-01-2002, 10:39 PM
The Walker bagging system will win hands down every time. The reason the last post said his other mower ran circles is the the Walker ground speed is not as fast as some other mowers.

Think about the Walker, you can close mow on EITHER side of the deck, because the grass chute goes up the center UNDER the mower.

NOW think about the other set up. You have a big clumsy extra blower motor and chute going up the one side of the deck and mower to the collection system in the back. Making so you can only close mow on ONE side of the deck.

Think about what is important to you.

theplantdoctor
08-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Brickman Lawn Care
The Walker bagging system will win hands down every time. The reason the last post said his other mower ran circles is the the Walker ground speed is not as fast as some other mowers.

Think about the Walker, you can close mow on EITHER side of the deck, because the grass chute goes up the center UNDER the mower.

NOW think about the other set up. You have a big clumsy extra blower motor and chute going up the one side of the deck and mower to the collection system in the back. Making so you can only close mow on ONE side of the deck.

Think about what is important to you.

What he said!:D

Ken

mowngrow
08-02-2002, 12:36 AM
get the walker... you will not be sorry. got my first one in feb. and i dont know how i made it without it.
you can use it all year

greenman
08-02-2002, 11:38 PM
I'll be getting a Walker next year!:)

John Gamba
08-03-2002, 06:47 AM
What Size are You Looking For?

Doc Pete
08-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Cut 2 Please
I was unable to get a very good account yesterday because I do not have bagging capabilities. I am trying to figure out if I would be better off buying the giant vac set up for my Ferris 3000 of spend the money and buy a Walker? I am leaning towards the Walker but don't really want to spend that much money right now. I need some sugestions. Thanks.

Do you feel spending 8 or 9 grand for the walker is worth one account, or even a few??? Have you demo'd a walker compared to your smooth "independent suspension" Ferris. Your feet rest directly on the Deck of a walker, and go up and down with the movement of the deck, unlike your Ferris, not to my liking at all. Yes, the walker is slow and I'm sure your Ferris blows it away with speed, which is money. Who cares about trimming close with the deck, a "good job" still requires a weed whacker to finish the job, anyway. For the money, or less, of the Walker, you can have an exmark with the blower unit, and nice little bags to empty, instead of the large basket thing that takes extra work to dump into a barrel and then into the pickup. And, the exmark will mow much faster. I have nothing against the Walker, but I feel it's basically a condo mower for tight spots and mandatory grass pick up. For anything else, today's newer equipment is really something to look at.

Cut 2 Please
08-05-2002, 12:06 PM
When I buy a Walker it will be the 26 hp. efi with probably a 48" GHS deck. I have heard something about a 29 hp efi for next year and if that is so I will probably get that. There is no substitute for hp except for more of it. That way I can also get the 74" deck and be able to use the walker on some of my larger properties also. Next year I will be hiring a helper so I will be able to run 2 mowers. Buying the walker for small residential makes sense. I will be able to get it in places I can not get my big "Z". I do have my WB but I am looking at selling it because I need the bagging capabilities and do not need 2 mowers that I will be using for trimming.

John Gamba
08-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a Plan. Good luck.

fatjack
08-05-2002, 05:40 PM
Cut 2 Please,

Were you looking at one of those new "Fast Vac" units that Ferris is offering that's made by Giant Vac? As I understand it, they operate off of the mower deck belts, no separate engine as someone mentioned above. I've seen 'em with two and three collection bags but don't know much else about them.

olfrt
08-05-2002, 05:57 PM
The Walker is the way to go

You can get the GHS tractor and a GHS deck for grass pick up or leaf pickup or for after you verta cut a lawn. If you use a tine rake DT40 It will pick that up to.

You can use diffrent decks for diffrent jobs. One tractor will push all the decks in their line up. You can run the GHS for this guy and side discharge up to 62 inches at other accounts.

Walkers don't have fast ground speed, about 7mph so for wide open areas they are slow. But in a average yard they will get you done faster than most other machines because you will have less trim work to do.

Brickman
08-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Olfrt, you can get a 74" deck. And a speed up kit helps the ground speed too. If you wanted to go faster with a little creative work you could change pulleys even more and gain more speed. There was a hilarious post on that subject here a while back. One guy said his was so souped up that his employees would only run it one time, scared them too much. LOL

Doc Pete
08-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Brickman Lawn Care
Olfrt, you can get a 74" deck. And a speed up kit helps the ground speed too. If you wanted to go faster with a little creative work you could change pulleys even more and gain more speed. There was a hilarious post on that subject here a while back. One guy said his was so souped up that his employees would only run it one time, scared them too much. LOL

I'm just curious. The walker I demo'd had you put your feet on the deck itself, and the deck was spring loaded without a lot of pressure on the ground. At speed, my feet would get bumped all around because they were directly on the deck, and the deck itself would bump all around because it was not heavily loaded on the ground. Have they changed the design or something???
Pete

olfrt
08-06-2002, 11:58 AM
No the deck is still sprung. It floats as it always has.
the smaller the deck the less pressure there is at the front wheels.

They use the same springs for all decks so the larger the deck the less the float.

I like the float because the decks that don't have to follow the ground and scalp when a wheel drops in a hole. With the float we get a better cut because the deck will skip over a hole or at least won't drop all the way down.

We have picked up customers because of the quality of cut can be seen.