PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Storage

jocko1104
08-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Where do you guys park your equipment at night? I'm just starting out, but am considering a small garage or shop. The PITA factor for backing it into my garage every night was pushing me towards the shop, however our house has expierienced some fire damage and since we have been forced into an apartment for 5-6 mo. I wake up at night with cold sweats! Right now i back it in to covered parking and put my dog in the back LOL :dizzy: What should i expect to pay for a shop and how do you find them? Any other suggestion?

Dennis E.
08-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Just a thought.
Some guys that I bought out a few years back were keeping the equipment in a storage facility at nite.They also had a small office there too. Pretty nice set-up. Really secure.
Price was around $100. per month. (I think)
Prices will vary I'm sure.

All of my equip. stays on the trailer at home. Chained and locked and covered.(Open trailer)
With a motion sensor with 2 big flood lamps that light up the whole dang yard when it is set off.

Firefighter Dave
08-01-2002, 07:20 PM
You had the same concerns I have had... I am going to get an enclosed trailer next week.... Easy access, locks, more professioanal looking, keeps your equipment out of the weather, able to display a nice advertisment on the side, and only about another $1,500 more for all these good things....

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

Dennis E.
08-01-2002, 08:34 PM
I've been shopping for an enclosed also.It does look more professional.

Ssouth
08-01-2002, 08:43 PM
Look in the local classifieds under commercial properties or commercial rental properties. We rent a shop here that is 40' *45' for $600/month. Utilities are included. We have two bay doors that are 10' wide and 14' tall. Owners are going to install garage door openers next week ( I hope) for free. Man, I can't wait to pull up and just hit a button for the door to open and close.

SIG
08-02-2002, 09:49 AM
I just had a pole building built. 52'x 30'x 14' with (2) 12'x12' doors and a man door for my office. Love it. Cost me around $17,000 and worth every penny of it.

Tvov
08-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Never enough room to store equipment. I used to rent a shop, man that was nice. 15 foot high ceiling, gas heat for the winter, hot water and a bathroom.

When I was able to have a shop on my property, we put up one of those "erector set" buildings (light weight sheet steel), and it has worked out great. But, you never have enough storage room. In a couple years, we out grew the building, and now store some equipment on trailers that we cover at night. Where I am, I don't have to worry about theft (famous last words!) so storing on the open trailers is fine for now. We are now trying to figure out how to increase our "inside" storage room, without getting caught up in the local zoning laws.

olfrt
08-02-2002, 01:13 PM
On the 12' open trailer in my garage

it's tight but it fits

Would like an enclosed but community restrictions would not allow me to part it on my property. Deed restricted area

BRIMOW525
08-02-2002, 11:12 PM
I lucked out and found a guy that wanted grass work done. 50x100 ft building in exchange for mowing. 15ft ceilings, bathroom, air compressor, forklift(if needed) half mile driveway... (not at all bragging!). Very much so lucked out. no pwr doors but the room alone is worth it.

BRIMOW525
08-02-2002, 11:14 PM
inside...one of his cars

BRIMOW525
08-02-2002, 11:15 PM
one more

Cooper Landscaping
08-03-2002, 12:54 AM
Tvov- im not sure what are in ct you are in- but here in the bridgeport area- last fall i heard of 3 backpack blowers getting stolen and since then random pieces of equipment- there was recently a rash of breakins in the area including a guy who stole a mower, trimmer, and blower- they caught the guy and most robberies stopped but here we still have 2 keep our eyes open
-Coop

Phishook
08-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Sounds like you guys live in bad areas. Just kidding

I'm, lucky enough to live in the country. If someone drives by, 9 out of 10 times I know them, if not they probably know me.

But I do have a 35' - 45' barn to work and park in.

thfireman
09-02-2002, 03:51 PM
I had my trailer backed against a large wood fence (Thick Timber Type) with my truck in front. Had racks locked and cables around all equipment. The cage was locked and I had flood lights and motion detection.

Wedsday they came about 4:30 in the morning, cut locks and stole all the equipment they could carry by hand. I was left with 2 bagger cages and 2 walkbehinds.

Could have been worse. If they want it they will get it.:mad: :cry: :dizzy: :blob2:

bubble boy
09-02-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by thfireman

Could have been worse. If they want it they will get it.:mad: :cry: :dizzy: :blob2:

aint that the truth.

sorry to here about the theft.

i've got a shop with alarm, but who knows...

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-02-2002, 06:15 PM
I bpught a storage container 8' by 20' it works well i had to vent it but other than that it is really great and only about 1,500$$

MOOSE
09-03-2002, 07:59 PM
A mini storage works well for me.. cost is $200 month for 10' by 35' and 18foot ceilings.. I built a upstairs to it..

TurfGuyTX
09-06-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking of putting one of those storage containers at my hunting lease. It'd be great not to have to haul lots of stuff back and forth. If someone hase the space, they'd make alot of good uses. I know a guy who made a cool workshop out of one.

Tim Canavan
09-07-2002, 01:59 AM
I have an enclosed 13 x 30 with a 16 foot ceiling. It's an RV and boat storage that's about 2 miles from my house. It cost me 100 dollars a month. I put in a huge set of shelves in the back of the unit and still have plenty of room to back in a 6.5 x 16 foot trailer in. Just look around close to your home and you might get lucky.