PDA

View Full Version : Deisel Smoking

Joe74
08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi,

I have a 2002 Isuzu NPR HD diesel. When you first start the truck up in the morning, it puts out a bluish/white smoke for a few minutes. Then after you run it down the road for a mile, it is fine. It does not matter if you let it idle for 5-10 minutes or not, it still smokes when you first give it gas to pull out. Does the engine not warm up until it it actually driven? My other diesels do not do this. Do you think it may be the injectors? It does not seem to smoke at all after you run it a little. Even after it sits for a while, it does not smoke as bad as the first time in the morning.

Thanks

lawn king
08-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a 2003 npr hd diesel (72000 miles) it does the same thing. Its just a matter or the engine warming up, once shes good and hot there is little smoke.

Joe74
08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for replying. That is what I hoped. I have four other diesels and none of them smoke as bad, even in cold weather, as the NPR I just got. It does seem like it goes away as soon as you drive it a little. Letting it warm up in the yard for a few minutes does not seem to help much. It takes driving down the road to clear all the smoke up.

I was hoping it was not the injectors. They are expensive. I thought it could be a sensor as well. I do love the truck so far. It runs around great. Guys complain about the power, but they forget it is a work truck, not a race truck. It will get the job done.

Do you notice any more power with the engine brake turned off. One guy said he did on the top end on the highway. I think it is better to just leave it on to help save the brakes. Do you have a good place to get parts for it?

Thanks

MikeKle
08-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I always heard if its bluish or white smoke, your fine, but if its black smoke, its a bad thing, but I see many guys on the road that spew out clouds of black smoke from their trucks, so maybe that isnt the case?

BrandonV
08-07-2010, 12:50 PM
injectors, black smoke is just them cleaning themselves out.

lawn king
08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
My engine brake is always on & its staying on. I built my npr/dump new in 2003, i just did brakes for the 1st time at 70,000 miles! I get my parts @ a local GMC/isuzu truck dealer. This npr is without a doubt the best worktruck we have ever owned, and we have owned them all over 37 years, pickups,vans,stepvans,dumps,el caminos, fords,chevys & chryslers, you name it! For the foreseeable future it will be strictly isuzu cabovers and duramax/allisons for us.

MikeKle
08-12-2010, 08:19 AM
I love the cabover trucks for lawn care work, too bad they really cant be used for personal daily drivers, then pickup truck sales would go way down!

TurboMazda
08-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I have a 2002 Isuzu NPR HD diesel. When you first start the truck up in the morning, it puts out a bluish/white smoke for a few minutes. Then after you run it down the road for a mile, it is fine. It does not matter if you let it idle for 5-10 minutes or not, it still smokes when you first give it gas to pull out. Does the engine not warm up until it it actually driven? My other diesels do not do this. Do you think it may be the injectors? It does not seem to smoke at all after you run it a little. Even after it sits for a while, it does not smoke as bad as the first time in the morning.

Thanks

It seems injectors stay for a little time leaking after you shut off the engine and next day that small amount is burned, also check the crankcase ventilation not being plugged this could also help in cold start up to smoke a little blue smoke. Also NPR are known to leak some oil to the intake from the turbo, this doesn't mean the oil seal is broken, it means it takes a little warm temp for seal to expand a little.