PDA

View Full Version : Older John Deere Problem

richallseasons
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok, so I picked up this basket case of a JD mower ( ya I know but the price was right ) anyway its an old I'm guessin late 80's 52 mower and I got it running and replaced all the stuff that was broke and it mows....kind of...the problem is that every time I mow a large lawn where the blades are engaged for more than 45 mins, it seems to heat up the deck drive belt to the point that it melts, streches and no longer drives the blades, I have tried every kind of belt I could get only to have the same results. The spindles are good, free, greased and quiet, I have adjusted it up and down. It almost seems to me that the muffler transfers all the heat down into the belt area, cause it always feel like it super hot in there when this happens. Does anyone have experience with a mower deck like this and do you have any answers? I'm banging my head against the wall here. Thanx, Rich

dutch1
08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I can't imagine the muffler being a problem unless you have a large hole in the muffler blowing directly on the deck cover, even then the possibility seems remote. I would check all pulleys for wear and make sure all idlers are running free. I've got to believe there are other factors other than the muffler. Is this a manual clutch engagement or electric clutch. If it's an electric clutch, it may be overheating although if the clutch has been getting that hot, surely it would have failed. Make sure the belt is free and clear, not rubbing on anything. I'm all out of suggestions.

poncho62
08-06-2010, 07:10 PM
More than likely, you have a belt slipping....causing the over heating.

dutch1
08-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Good addition, Poncho. I was assuming that he had belt properly tensioned and we all know about the word ASSUME.

richallseasons
08-06-2010, 07:41 PM
The belt doesnt run off a clutch, on the bottom of the engine is a large double pulley that rotates with the rpm of the engine, it never stops, the drive belts, one to the deck and one to the trans are lose when not engaged and when you throw the handle for the blades it mechanically moves a pulley over to tension the belt, I have tried to tighten it up and I get the same results.

FIXDISS
08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Is the muffler still clogged as shown in pics 2 and 3 ? Does the deck itself have 2 belts, then an primary belt from crankshaft to center blade shaft ? Try Fully engaging the blade lever with engine off and then trace the full route of all belts.

richallseasons
08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
the muffler appears to have a screen at the output, yes its two belts on the deck and one to the center spindle pulley

The Lawn Ranger CT.
08-07-2010, 12:16 AM
You might want to check and see if any of the pully guides are rubbing against the belt when its' engaged, and check to see if the belts are bottoming out on the pully itself,(which would cause the belts to slip after being run for a longer period of time)...being and older mower I have see this happen before with my emark belt driven mower the belts that drive the wheels would start to slip after awhle, and I noticed that on the drive sproket the belt was bottoming out due to the pully worn.

richallseasons
08-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I will re inspect and check for those issues today, thanks for all the help guys