PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Liquid Rake?

TennisBum
08-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Or some other brand of liquid thatch remover/digester. I really dread having customers ask me to power rake. So much material comes up and you have to remove it all. If a liquid de-thatcher actually works, it would be a welcome alternative. Any feedback?
Thanks

ICT Bill
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Thatch is a sign that the soil is not biologically active, I didn't say dead but not active. Probably very typical in your sandy soils along the coast

any bio stimulant should help, Kelp, Fish, our product line. What you really want to do is increase soil organic matter long term and you will not have many issues

There is a company in Va Beach called Nutrients plus that makes a nice composted chicken manure product (not much smell because it is composted) Barry Draycott who is on here often with Tech Terra Organics is a rep for them. It will add organic matter and get the microbes working breaking down the thatch and no more worries

Smallaxe
08-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Removing all that material, removes OM and nutrients. Fish, kelp, compost, molasses etc, is a much better alternative. Bill, has a point.

Meanwhile, use N sparingly, especially in the spring. Most all lawn care extensions agree that, excessive N creates thatch. Grass clippings, do not.

TennisBum
08-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks guys for your input. You know that the customer wants something done now. I was hoping to get some feedback on the liquid thatch. Anybody?
Thanks.

Smallaxe
08-07-2010, 08:51 AM
What is in it and how does that compare to the things mentioned? Many of us do not buy the 'off the shelf' magic fixes, but work out a system of 'nutrient cycling'.

There is no quick fix or magic bullet, called 'liquid rake' or anything else, as far as I know.

ICT Bill
08-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys for your input. You know that the customer wants something done now. I was hoping to get some feedback on the liquid thatch. Anybody?
Thanks.

Never heard of it
I made my suggestions go here and order a carton it should get there in one day, spray it out 3 times 2 weeks a part 2 to 3 gallons of water per 1000
http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/1/index.htm

cgaengineer
08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
A light dusting of compost will help breakdown that thatch. Make sure its good quality compost...preferably one with an analysis.

TennisBum
08-07-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.megagro.com/liquid-rake.htm

cgaengineer
08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Not a bad price for 2 acres if it actually works.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass catcher
08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
in ARK weuse liq rake in the late fall for thatch and leaves diesel fuel +match =liq rake

DUSTYCEDAR
08-08-2010, 03:14 PM
ICT products work well for what u r trying to do
aerate the lawn and spray ict

Smallaxe
08-08-2010, 04:47 PM
ICT products work well for what u r trying to do
aerate the lawn and spray ict

I was wondering if the extract would ever, get discussed. :)

What would we notice in the turf, were we to apply, the extracts or the quality compost?

How quickly could we physically see those changes?

Would the addition of , molasses, for exa., accelerate those changes?

Most importantly, what would a client be able to see, when they are all excited as in the case of the OP?

OrganicsMaine
05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
ok, I know that this is an old thread, but I am working on a lawn now where I had a hard time getting the aerator to penetrate the thatch....had to actually fill the front roller w/water.

So, I am seriously considering trying the ICT approach. Thatch is def. 1+" thick, will this help. There is plenty of organic matter in the thatch layer, currently waiting for the soil test to come back.

Do I need to add molasses?

Hopefully some of you will read this and come back to it!

Smallaxe
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
You mean that you sometmes run the aerator without water in the front roller?
Is it a plugger?
Are you talking 'real thatch' or brown mulch? Was it fertilized and root inhibitted before it broke dormancy?

Essentially, if the cultural practices that create real thatch continue, these digesting products are a waste of money... They will being adding N to an already N rich environment and rapid stem/root growth in the thatch layer...

RigglePLC
05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Lots of homeowners think that brown grass is a sign of excessive thatch. Often it is a sign of a bluegrass type that greens up slowly in the spring. Apply the liquid thatch and it will be green in two weeks. Sometimes the problem is an unusually aggresive type of bluegrass. The sports type bluegrasses are highy rhizomatous, also some types that are popular with sod growers--they really knit together tightly. Given good care they get thick. Its their nature. Work with it, or try to thin it out by reducing your yearly nitrogen by 50 percent. Perhaps boost the potash to keep up disease resistance. Thick tight grass really resists weeds--no soil visible--that is a good thing.

Power-raking is heavy work. The liquid product is so much easier.