PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed with Carb Adjustment on Echo PB-650H

genesis215
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I have been wanting adjust the carb on my Echo blower for some time now. It runs great when it's below 70 out, and has not been out in the sun. But if it's out in the sun, it takes a long time to warm up before it will take any throttle. I've read on here from quite a few people that this is a common problem on almost all Echo's, and adjusting the high and low speed needles would solve it. I looked up the Illustrated Parts List and it showed no adjustments for my particular carb (Walbro WYK-180). But, it took it off this evening, and found two brass plugs apparently hiding the adjustment screws. But my question is, does anyone know how to get these plugs out? And secondly, which plug is the high speed needle, and which is the low speed needle? Attached are the photos I got of the two brass plugs. The first pic is of the flat side of the carb, the side up against the intake. The second one shows both plugs, the one on the back side of the carb, and the one that faces the intake. Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

dutch1
08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Here ya go!

http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/WYKseries.pdf

genesis215
08-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks! I just found that a few minutes before you posted! Thanks again! Will let you know the result. It sounds like I need to adjust the inner idle needle.

BigFish
08-06-2010, 10:45 PM
The brass plugs are for sealing drilled passages.
The HS needle is on the side hiding behind a small plastic cup shaped plug. Ya gotta pull the plug to adjust.

genesis215
08-07-2010, 02:36 PM
OK guys, I ran into a problem. I went to try adjusting the inner idle needle like the Walbro WYK manual showed, but it looks like the slot for the screwdriver to go into is gone, and stripped out, the pic below shows it. Now what should I do? Can I make a slot for the screwdriver to slip down into, or do I need a new carb now? Echo doesn't sell just the throttle valve assembly, so I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

BigFish
08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
OK guys, I ran into a problem. I went to try adjusting the inner idle needle like the Walbro WYK manual showed, but it looks like the slot for the screwdriver to go into is gone, and stripped out, the pic below shows it. Now what should I do? Can I make a slot for the screwdriver to slip down into, or do I need a new carb now? Echo doesn't sell just the throttle valve assembly, so I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

What your seeing is the small plastic cup shaped plug that is covering the needle. You need to remove it to adj. The best way is to screw a very small long sheetmetal screw into the cup and pull it out with pliers. Echo makes a special tool,which I have, but I found the screw trick works much better. Same on the HS needle on the side.

ed2hess
08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
What your seeing is the small plastic cup shaped plug that is covering the needle. You need to remove it to adj. The best way is to screw a very small long sheetmetal screw into the cup and pull it out with pliers. Echo makes a special tool,which I have, but I found the screw trick works much better. Same on the HS needle on the side.

Or heat up a spring hook and press it down into the plastic and leave it cool and pull the plastic out. Kinda risky running a screw down there since it could damage those small slots in the needle.