PDA

View Full Version : 19HP Kaw, how to remove carburator bowl?

adrianrog
08-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Good afternoon, everyone:

I have a 19HP Kawasaki on my 07 Lazer Z and last weekend it started surging. Two things happended that weekend and they may be related, but maybe not...

1. I finished cutting grass in the rain which really worked the engine
2. I came home from church to find the choke choked and my battery dead. I suspect a neighborhood kid tried to start my mower while I was at church. I suspect he left it choked and turned the engine over till the battery died.

My engine is a FH580V.

Anyway, so here I am today with time to look at it. It surges at idle and runs fine at full throttle.

I replaced the fuel filter and air filter so far because they were easy to do. No luck so I pulled the carbeurator off thinking I must have a fuel flow issue somewhere. I've attached pictures of my carbeurator. I don't see any screws to loosen to remove the bowl.

So here's my first and most important question:

1. Do I just pry it off?

Also, if you look at the first picture...

If I blow into the brass colored line on the left, should I get air out all of the top and bottom front holes all the time. Sometimes I blow and nothing comes out. i can rotate the carbeurator while blowing and it'll sputter, some gas will come out and then I can blow air. Rotate again and it seems. Someone may have enough experience to tell me exactly what's wrong here, but I figure there is junk in my bowl.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

adrianrog
08-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Figured out how to get the bowl off. There are two flats at the top of the fuel shut off solenoid. I had to grind a pair of pliers to be able to get in there, but it's off. There were a few hunks down there, but really amazingly clean. I'm off to the parts store to get some carb cleaner, we'll see how it goes.

PS, for anyone with similar issues, the diagrams here are great. They didn't tell how to get the bowl off, but the exploded parts diagram tells the story.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/

MS_SURVEYOR
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Wow! What a neighbor! LOL!

adrianrog
08-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Alright! I got it going. Got a little junk out of the bowl and sprayed out everything else. Put it all back together and it wouldn't start. Scratched my head for a minute and realized I didn't plug the electric fuel shut off solenoid back up. Plugged it in and BAM, it's running smooth as a kitten agian.

MS_SURVEYOR
08-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Cool! Take the key out, and put a chain through the wheels. Maybe disconnect the battery? Keep that neighbor out of there! LOL!

adrianrog
08-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I figure it was just kids. I've gone out and found the handlebars pulled together before, but figured they were just fooling around. I've seen kids hop our hogwire fence and play in the field behind my house before. Our driveway is gated and locked so prior to this, I didnt' bother to take the key out. I'm taking it now now though. I guess I may even clean out a spot inside the barn so I can close and lock the entire thing up.

MS_SURVEYOR
08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I was just funning with you. Kids will be kids! Knock on wood I haven't had any problems with kids. I do have a carb problem thou. I just need to break down and give it a cleaning. Thanks for the post!

mowerknower
08-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Glad you are just messing with us. I am only a 6 pack in but reading your post, I thought as was at a half rack.

MS_SURVEYOR
08-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Glad you are just messing with us. I am only a 6 pack in but reading your post, I thought as was at a half rack.

:rolleyes:

That's what my wife told me yesterday!

:laugh:

:drinkup:

nepatsfan
08-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Nothing good comes out of going to church.

adrianrog
08-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Nothing good at church? You just haven't been to the right one yet. It'll all be worth it in the end.

nepatsfan
08-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Nothing good at church? You just haven't been to the right one yet. It'll all be worth it in the end.

oh no...this site is loaded with bible thumpers:drinkup: