PDA

View Full Version : Package Deal Dethatch,aerate,overseed

pbjunkie92
08-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey there folks. I was thinking of doing some type of package deal this fall including Dethatching/power raking,aeration, and overseeding. Do you guys think it is worth a shot and will it really be beneficial.?

Most of my customers are in semi-new devolopments with 4-6 year old homes which have never had these services before. We have had a really dry past few months with temps in the 100's. I was going to wait until fall when the temeratures are down.

What do you think?

Thanks

I am also open to criticizm but keep it PG:nono:

TX_yardguy
08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
That sounds pretty good. I assume you have the equipment to make that happen? What do you plan to charge? What is power raking?

Puttinggreens
08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I do this work as well for 8 to 10 weeks straight.

My question for you is this:

Why dethatch, why not use that time and energy to aerate more thoroughly? Create a better seed bed?

I'm not knocking your plan, everyone does it a little differently and most everyone's plan does grow grass. Just trying to provoke some thought.

Dethatching creates material that has to be hauled away. I would rather spend the time and money on seed additional seed and more aeration passes.

mdlwn1
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Why dethatch, why not use that time and energy to aerate more thoroughly? Create a better seed bed?

I'm not knocking your plan, everyone does it a little differently and most everyone's plan does grow grass. Just trying to provoke some thought.

Dethatching creates material that has to be hauled away. I would rather spend the time and money on seed additional seed and more aeration passes.

THIS ^

De-thatching is almost pointless if you know how to achieve results through aeration..commercially speaking. From a profit standpoint, you will never make any money doing both to the same yard...no one will pay you enough to do that.

pbjunkie92
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
That sounds pretty good. I assume you have the equipment to make that happen? What do you plan to charge? What is power raking?

I do have access to the equipment. My idea of power raking is basically a step below complete dethatching it is a litte less stressful on the yard. As far as pricing I am not sure yet. Any idea? most of my yards average 1/4-1/2 acre.

Thanks

pbjunkie92
08-09-2010, 07:36 PM

That is a good point and I am now thinking:confused:
Could a good aeration (multiple passes) eliminate the need for dethatching? It would save me alot of time and hassle.

Thanks everyone

Puttinggreens
08-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Yes .

Smallaxe
08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Not sure how quickly TX grasses spread, but if there is a lot of open space, nothing looks stupider, than doll hair grass sprouts, from aeration holes. For open areas, scratching the surface, will give you a better coverage for seed germination.

Oakleaf landscape
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I know everybody says that dethaching a yard is pointless unless it is needed. I got to thinking and thought that it does scratch up the soil too and i would think makes a better seed bed. Sorta like slit seeding except it doesnt drop in the seeds. I have yards that have been aerated and dethached and then seeded and ones that have only been aerated and seeded, and the ones that got the detaching also took seed better.

Puttinggreens
08-12-2010, 02:36 PM
That tells me you are not making enough passes with the aerator. If you take the extra time it took to dethatch and spend it aerating you will have a great seed bed.

Try aerating with a minimum of 4 to 5 passes over each square foot,,, makes an excellent seed bed.

Oakleaf landscape
08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
yes but is my reasoning true though?

Puttinggreens
08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I think we are splitting hairs.

Like I said earlier, there are a lot of different but successful methods.

These are healthy discussions, I like it.

Smallaxe
08-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I know everybody says that dethaching a yard is pointless unless it is needed. I got to thinking and thought that it does scratch up the soil too and i would think makes a better seed bed. Sorta like slit seeding except it doesnt drop in the seeds. I have yards that have been aerated and dethached and then seeded and ones that have only been aerated and seeded, and the ones that got the detaching also took seed better.

Dethatching or power raking, does make a better seedbed than aeration. By the time you make enuf passes with the aerator for a seed bed, you have you have alot of holes 2" deep and dirt all over the surface of your turf.

I don't know where the idea originated, but aeration was originally used to brake up thatch and get the soils moving water and ferts again. Seed was added to repair the damage to the turf, from aeration. I suppose it became a 2 for 1 deal, once thatch became so popular, as well as overirrigation.

But, if you need to overseed a "Good Lawn", that is aerated, then you do not have a good lawn, that only needs aerating.