PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and Staton engine trouble

Bumpmaster
08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Took up the Folks on Dinner invite today. While visiting, Dad asked me to look over his newer mower. A MTD Push Mower model Series 020, with a Briggs 4.5 148 cc 300 series engine. He had a mower similar to this one for 10 years. Liked it so much he bought another one. This newer one will not run. Will start then die immediately. It seems as though it is not getting any gas. Pulled the start cord and if you continue to push the primmer bulb it will continue to run then once you stop pushing the primary bulb it stops. Hated to disappoint Dad but being a grass cutter does not make you a small engine mechanic.

Any Ideas of what would not be letting the engine run would be greatly appreciated.

Bumpmaster
08-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Read the owners manual, said clean out the fuel line. Took of the rubber elbow pulled the cord ran for over a second longer than before.

balreadysaid
08-07-2010, 10:36 PM
its probly water in the gas. pull the float bowl shoudl see some water in there if so need to drain the tank. it might need to be done 2 times. also dry gas will help

topsites
08-08-2010, 09:40 AM
You say it's newer, might still be under warranty where in my book that means don't touch it,
first check how old it is, then if it's got warranty take it back to the place you bought it and tell them the story.

Granted it might be out of warranty but that's the first thing I would check.

Bumpmaster
08-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Hoping it has water in the gas. It is two years old with only a one year warranty. Will drain the gas next time I am over there. Thinking with the humiidity and mower not being run consistantly due to Dad having knee sergury; water in the gas might be the trouble.

BigFish
08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Don't use dry gas (alcohol)! Ya already got 10% alcohol ( ethanol) mixed in , which is the problem! It absorbs moisture in the air and separates out ( phase separation). Just pull the bowl and clean. You might have to pull and clean up the carb. Be carefull with the gasket that goes between the air filter backing and the carb, it has a channel for the primer air that usually gets torn, might wanna get a new one.