PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Cooper Landscaping
08-01-2002, 09:19 PM
what happens if youre solo and you get sick? like 103 fever muscle knots aches, headaches and things like that(present condition) Just wondering what all the other guys do?
-Coop

Toatlandscape
08-01-2002, 09:40 PM
This is when you find out who your friends are. Hopefully by now you know several other LCO's in the area try to get them to take whatever they can. After that call customers and explain your situation try to buy some time that way. It won't be easy but it can be done.

Good luck.

Alan Bechard
08-02-2002, 12:19 AM
Man, that is tough, Unfortunately that is one of the big pitfalls in being your own business.

I work a regular job and the lawncare is my wifes, when something happens we can float a bit on just my income.

We also have one full time employee that is capable of running the show when needed. She does not like to do it but is quite competent and for a week or two it is no problem, sometimes I come in and help as well. (like the birth of my son 6 yrs ago) the wife was out for a month after, and she did not feel that well the day she had dean, she only got 8 out of the 12 accounts done that she was supposed to do that day:D

We also have some part time folks that work on occasion and they would come in to help.

The boss just walked in, She says you better hire a good worker to partner up with that can cover for you at times like this, and it just makes the day go better when you have someone else around. She also says that you need to hire a woman so that you get a good worker:D Hanna says that she hopes you are not married if you hire a woman;) or your wife may look like this:angry:

Hope you feel better soon

Al B

lawnkid
08-02-2002, 12:46 AM
I'd work through it probably or have my broher or uncle do it for me.

65hoss
08-02-2002, 02:39 AM
Take some drugs and get it handled. Responsibility says you handle it. Unless you absolutely can't move, suck it up, be strong and get to crackin'.

Two years ago during the middle of one of the worst heat and drought years we had, I got a stomach virus in the middle of the worst part. For 2 weeks I was extremely bad off. I took drugs and we got it done in the heat. Yes it sucked, but the business was worth more to me than how I felt at the current time.

JimLewis
08-02-2002, 04:19 AM
Uh.... That's exactly why it's a good idea to have employees. I can get sick and stay home as long as I need to and I'll still make good money that month.

See, to me it's more worth it to have some employee problems once in a while than it is to have to do everything myself and have my entire income hanging on the health of one person.

But I guess maybe that's just me. :(

awm
08-02-2002, 11:02 AM
been there several times. u just work thru it. i made it thru all but one.
nearly killed my self. lost a lot o buisiness. truthfully the men i know in solo buisiness [not just lawncare] are impressive,in that they almost never get sick . when they are, u probably wont know it. nothin but cancer or something of that nature ,will finally take them dn.
good luck to u bro an roll the dice.

wolfpacklawn
08-02-2002, 11:33 PM
uh... ditto what jim lewis said.

SterlingLawn
08-03-2002, 12:09 AM
I'm solo but was able to find a couple of guys that worked second/third shift jobs were looking for a little extra dough when the opportunity arose. They didn't want a commitment or set hours and they do a great job. Really helped with a baclog of spring cleanups during the rainy season. Anyways, I found this as a good way to keep payroll down, get the work done when too heavy, and they have taken over for me on occasion when personal business needed to be taken care of.