PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like governor trouble?

BenHeadrick
08-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Based on what I can find through searching the web, I would think that I'm having governor trouble, but I find it odd in the way that the problem occurred.

To start out, I have a Great Dane Super Surfer II with a 23hp Kohler engine. I was mowing along today and everything was fine. I stopped to prune a tree limb, cut off my blade, engaged my brake, and throttled all the way down to idle. The mower began to die, so I reached over and turned the throttle all the way up. It recovered stayed running, but it seemed to be missing terribly.

I jumped on and booked it to the garage, because I didn't want to be pushing this thing up my front yard. I tinkered with it for a while, checked the spark, checked the compression, made sure I was getting a good supply of fresh fuel to the carb.

The engine actually seems to run fine when I'm accelerating or when I first turn the blades on. Obviously when the engine is under a load. But as soon as the mower gets momentum, or the blades reach full speed, the sputtering and missing start back.

The problem was so sudden, that I wouldn't think that it would be the linkage coming out of adjustment. It's almost as if something broke. What do you guys think?

mowerknower
08-08-2010, 01:22 AM
I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

topsites
08-08-2010, 09:30 AM
No, long story short missing is not a symptom of a broken governor.
More than likely your problem lies in the spark plug / ignition coil area,
and it could be a carburetor problem to do with the choke / butterfly valve and this could be
checked with the air filter off, also I would check and inspect that PCV rubber tube.

FIXDISS
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Pull one plug wire at at time to see which side is missing then pull valve cover off the side that is missing. Sounds like a push-rod may have came out from under rocker arm.

Restrorob
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna go with trash in the carb causing it to lean out, With the engine running slowly apply the choke. If it smooths out give the carb a tear-down cleaning and replace the fuel filter.

BenHeadrick
08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been at it all day and haven't noticed any changes. Today I changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, put some seafoam in the gas, and cleaned the carburetor. I did everything one at a time to try to pinpoint the problem. Still the same symptoms. I checked compression again and I used a timing light to see if there was a good rhythm. I did notice today that when I pull the plug wires off individually, that there was a slight difference in how the running cylinder handled the load.

FIXDISS, tomorrow I will pull the valve cover off of the weaker side to see if I notice anything.

Restrorob, when I barely even apply the choke, the engine stalls out.

Regardless, guys, thanks for ruling out the governor for me. Looks like I'll be borrowing my mom's old 33" snapper to finish my yard tomorrow. I hope to figure this out soon.

mowerknower
08-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been at it all day and haven't noticed any changes. Today I changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, put some seafoam in the gas, and cleaned the carburetor. I did everything one at a time to try to pinpoint the problem. Still the same symptoms. I checked compression again and I used a timing light to see if there was a good rhythm. I did notice today that when I pull the plug wires off individually, that there was a slight difference in how the running cylinder handled the load.

FIXDISS, tomorrow I will pull the valve cover off of the weaker side to see if I notice anything.

Restrorob, when I barely even apply the choke, the engine stalls out.

Regardless, guys, thanks for ruling out the governor for me. Looks like I'll be borrowing my mom's old 33" snapper to finish my yard tomorrow. I hope to figure this out soon.

If it stalls when you choke it I would say you might be running rich. You have not mentioned if you replaced the air filter yet.
I cant tell you the amount of times a commecial cutter bring the machine in for running poor and all it needs is a new air filter and plugs.

BenHeadrick
08-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I agree that it seems like it's running rich. It has the same symptoms even when I run it without a filter.

topsites
08-09-2010, 02:10 AM
If it's running high fuel it could be your float inside the bowl isn't closing as it should,
thus letting more fuel through, removing said bowl CAREFULLY (little parts) and pulling
the pin and taking the mechanism all apart and then cleaning it all up real good with either
acetone or carb cleaner should do the trick.

Personal note: I prefer carb cleaner because it's pressurized but I did just notice
the other week that the smell of this stuff I was using is mostly acetone.

At 16 ounces a bottle of $3 carb cleaner compared to this:
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=37000
A gallon ...
Well shoot it's almost the same.

digger23
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Personal note: I prefer carb cleaner because it's pressurized but I did just notice
the other week that the smell of this stuff I was using is mostly acetone.

Acetone eats some plastics. I don't like to use the stuff, unless I know the item I'm going to use it on doesn't have any vulnerable plastic in it. I usually can't tell, so I avoid the stuff.

I've looked at a number MSDSes for carb cleaners and found most don't have any acetone. Of those that do, the highest percentage I recall seeing was about 60%. I believe the brand was Berryman.

digger23
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Take a look at the thread I have going here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3674165#post3674165) in this same forum. My symptoms were almost exactly the same as yours. Weirdly, they seem to happen on the same day, and I'm just down the road from Knoxville. :confused:

Anyway, to tell if you have the same problem, remove the air cleaner so that you can see down the throat of the carb with the engine running. Use a bright flashlight and see if you can see spurts of fuel coming out of a tube or orifice with the throttle about mid range. If you can, you have a clogged air passage in the carb.

Try blowing the crud out with compressed air. If it doesn't work, you'll have to take the carb apart.

BenHeadrick
08-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I discovered another symptom tonight. When the engine is running, and I cut the gas off with the in-line shutoff valve, the engine starts running perfectly for a few seconds right before it runs out of fuel and shuts off. Would I be wrong to assume that my float valve isn't working properly causing the bowl to overfill and flood the carburetor?

I'm trying to find a kit to rebuild the carb. I don't want to buy any of the metal parts that I already have. I just want the o-rings, gaskets, and all of those sorts of parts. I'm going to run some part numbers and prices by you and see if anyone can tell me what I need. My engine is a Kohler CV23S.

The part number on the carb is 24 053 95, which someone on here said has been replaced by 24 053 108?

A part number (24 853 108S) - KOHLER CARBURETOR W/GASKETS - ~$260 Is this the whole carb?

I'm thinking I need (24 757 46S) - REPAIR OVERHAUL KIT - ~$65

There's also a (24 757 36S) - REPAIR CHOKE KIT
(24 757 38S) - REPAIR GASKET KIT
(24 757 44S) - REPAIR FLOAT KIT
(24 757 45S) - REPAIR SOLENOID KIT

What do you guys think the overhaul kit will have in it? Should I get the overhaul, gasket, and float kits? Any thoughts?

BenHeadrick
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that I found the problem tonight. I tore the carburetor ALL the way down to soak it over night. Before, I hadn't removed the accelerator pump cover. Tonight I took it off and I could tell that the diaphragm looked pretty rough. I pulled it out and there are indeed a few tears that I can see light through. My guess is that gas is seeping through the diaphragm and up the vacuum hose that operates the pump into the carb, causing it to run extremely rich. Anyone concur?

Now, my next question. Am I going to have to buy the $75+ accelerator pump kit to get just the diaphragm? I plan on buying the overhaul kit too, to get some new gaskets and o-rings.

piston slapper
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing this is a vert shaft engine....If so , put a BB in the small hose from the accelerater pump to the top of the carb. reassemble and install carb ...run the engine.

This bypasses the bad diaphram...if this fixes your problem, dont worry about replacing the diaphram...it should work just fine.