PDA

View Full Version : Small Dump Truck - Gas vs. Diesel

pblc
08-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Age old question. We currently run a Ford F450 Dump with the 7.3 diesel. In an attempt to lower overhead I'm looking into buying a 350/450 with a V8. We don't use our dump truck every day. Usually once a week now and probably 3 times a week during the spring busy season.

Mainly used to haul mulch and occasionally some dirt or rock. What are the majority of yall using? Do the V8s hold up and have enough power to work well? Everything we have now are diesels - so this would be a big step down. But if we don't work it too hard I think it would.

Poll - how many guys run dumps gas vs. diesel...? Thanks.

TurboMazda
08-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Age old question. We currently run a Ford F450 Dump with the 7.3 diesel. In an attempt to lower overhead I'm looking into buying a 350/450 with a V8. We don't use our dump truck every day. Usually once a week now and probably 3 times a week during the spring busy season.

Mainly used to haul mulch and occasionally some dirt or rock. What are the majority of yall using? Do the V8s hold up and have enough power to work well? Everything we have now are diesels - so this would be a big step down. But if we don't work it too hard I think it would.

Poll - how many guys run dumps gas vs. diesel...? Thanks.

I don't have those equipments but I'll prefer diesel over gas any time......

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-08-2010, 07:12 AM
How is replacing a truck that serves your purposes going to reduce overhead....... I am not trying to be a smarta$$. Just curious.... I run a 93 Chevy 3500HD dump with the 454....about the same way you say you do. It is a major gas hog.

ProTouch Groundscapes
08-08-2010, 11:33 AM
get a v10 450, more breathing room than a 350 and plenty of power.

StrokerTurbo7.3
08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
How is replacing a truck that serves your purposes going to reduce overhead....... I am not trying to be a smarta$$. Just curious.... I run a 93 Chevy 3500HD dump with the 454....about the same way you say you do. It is a major gas hog.What he said. Diesel will last longer with proper maintenance and be more efficient than a gasser.

7.3=Old reliable

nepatsfan
08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I like diesels but I really wonder if they are cost effective. With the initial cost now up to like $8000 more and diesel fuel more expensive than gas. Repairs more expensive, oil changes way more expensive. We never put tons and tons of miles before we get rid of them. Most of the time around 80k before we trade em in. Not sure its worth buying a diesel.

tnmtn
08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
How is replacing a truck that serves your purposes going to reduce overhead....... I am not trying to be a smarta$$. Just curious.... I run a 93 Chevy 3500HD dump with the 454....about the same way you say you do. It is a major gas hog.

i'm with DRM as well. if you have one of the older idi engines parts are extremely cheap for repairs. i don't think there is a gas or diesel engine built these days that would be any better for your purposes than what you have.

pitrack
08-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I like diesels but I really wonder if they are cost effective. With the initial cost now up to like $8000 more and diesel fuel more expensive than gas. Repairs more expensive, oil changes way more expensive. We never put tons and tons of miles before we get rid of them. Most of the time around 80k before we trade em in. Not sure its worth buying a diesel.

Not everyone wants a diesel to put high miles on them. I know I like my diesel for the extra torque, there have been several times if I had a gasser I wouldn't be able to pull what I was pulling.

pblc
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Come on boys. It's a numbers and cents game. I can reduce overhead because the gas truck would cost me about $5k less than a comparable diesel. I'm not buying brand new trucks like some - we aren't that big of an outfit. If I only have a few thousand in the machine I can put the remainer in my retirement fund, etc.

I'm simply asking if there are other outfits doing light work with smaller dumps, running gas engines and having luck out of them.

nepatsfan
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Not everyone wants a diesel to put high miles on them. I know I like my diesel for the extra torque, there have been several times if I had a gasser I wouldn't be able to pull what I was pulling.

I understand that and thats why I keep buying them. We are only pulling a 10k # trailer at best though. Diesel is definitely better for towing but I think a gasser would probably pull what we need. Not as efficiently though.

nepatsfan
08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Come on boys. It's a numbers and cents game. I can reduce overhead because the gas truck would cost me about $5k less than a comparable diesel. I'm not buying brand new trucks like some - we aren't that big of an outfit. If I only have a few thousand in the machine I can put the remainer in my retirement fund, etc.

I'm simply asking if there are other outfits doing light work with smaller dumps, running gas engines and having luck out of them.

You should specify in your original post that you are looking for a used truck then. Used vs. new is like comparing apples to dump trucks:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
If the current truck is paid for keep driving it you don't want to go to a F-350 they don't pack enough weight.

knox gsl
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Why not get a F650 with a cat engine, if buying used you can get these for around the same cost as a F350 diesel engine and will have alot more truck. Yes you should be able to get it without a CDL if you are permitted under 26K lbs and only pull a 10K lbs trailer.

tnmtn
08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
maybe i misunderstood your original post. i thought you were wanting to replace your F450. if that is the case then i'll stand by my first post. if you are looking for a used truck to run in addition to your F450 more info is needed. what are your planned uses? will it tow and how heavy? milage per year. personally my 2 smaller trucks, an F350 and chevy 4500 are diesel. both have been great for their uses and wouldn't change a thing. my largest truck is a gasser. it is a C65 chevy dump. luckily it has a 2 speed rear end. for it's uses it does fine. would i rather have a diesel for this one? very mch so however it is cheap to operate and i don't need it for towing. for a dialy use truck my bussiness depends on for bussiness i will have nothing but diesels.

360ci
08-10-2010, 09:25 AM
If you want a decent back up, secondary truck, a gas V8 will work fine. Lower weight, similar mileage empty if your easy on the throttle (unless you find a 8.1L GM gas then mileage will be worse of course). Overall, for minimal heavy towing and occasional full payload capacity use, a gasser will serve you fine.

White Gardens
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm a farm boy and I love diesels in everything besides a truck.

I went from an older F-350 to a 3500HD with a 492 Gasser in it.

My diesel mechanic steered me away from another diesel and I agree with him. Sure, it's a gas hog, but when it comes to winter plowing and such, a diesel wasn't worth it.

I can get a new motor for the same price as a turbo setup for a deisel. For as much as I do or don't use the truck, I wanted to be able to justify major repairs if I ever had a breakdown.

Diesels are just way more to fix or replace than they ever used to be, and my 492 in my truck has more than enough power to do what I ask it to.

esnipe8
08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Get a V10 F450. It will pull a 10# trailer with ease. We always bought diesel's... 7.3, 6.0, 6.4......never again. The 7.3 was absolutly bullet proof. 6.0 needed a new turbo (warranty) at 35k, 6.4 is ok, but no worth the upfront premium.
Never had a DMAX or Cummins.