PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Mowing Complaints

ALLTERRAINLAWNS
08-08-2010, 03:32 PM
I am writing an article about the Lawn & Landscape industry as a whole & looking for some supporting information regarding customer complaints. As business owners & professionals you have run the gamut of customer interaction & expectation. Could you share some of the top complaints that you receive. For example, blowing grass in mulch beds, scalping grass when trimming, spin marks, etc....
Thank you

lawnangel1
08-08-2010, 04:06 PM
too fast, too high, too low

Az Gardener
08-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Not to sound arrogant but I can't recall getting a complaint about mowing, its about as basic as you get. I can give you my complaints that I point out to prospective clients when they call me for a bid. I ask them specifically what they don't like and they just tell me it dosen't look good but they have trouble putting their finger on the reason why. So in no particular order

Burnt edges from poor line trimming
Mowing the same pattern week after week and causing ruts.
Damaging trees and shrubs from poor line trimming or bumping with mowers.
Not being proactive about treating brown spots.
Poor line trimming in general, missing areas, not feathering in uneven mow areas etc.
Damage caused by mowers black marks on walls from the tires, chipped patio's and borders.
Breaking sprinkler heads and not fixing them.

ajslands
08-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Too fast, too high, too low... Those for sure and then, mowing to late, mowing too early. Other than that, I don't get too many complaints, I've actually never gotten the "too fast complaint" but I try to be as professional as possible and can accomadate any customer!
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Not to sound arrogant but I can't recall getting a complaint about mowing, its about as basic as you get. I can give you my complaints that I point out to prospective clients when they call me for a bid. I ask them specifically what they don't like and they just tell me it dosen't look good but they have trouble putting their finger on the reason why. So in no particular order

Burnt edges from poor line trimming
Mowing the same pattern week after week and causing ruts.
Damaging trees and shrubs from poor line trimming or bumping with mowers.
Not being proactive about treating brown spots.
Poor line trimming in general, missing areas, not feathering in uneven mow areas etc.
Damage caused by mowers black marks on walls from the tires, chipped patio's and borders.
Breaking sprinkler heads and not fixing them.

You break it you pay for it! That is a must!
Posted via Mobile Device

ProMo
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
You break it you pay for it! That is a must!
Posted via Mobile Device

If I break it I charge to fix it

dgw
08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
the biggest complaint that has gotten me jobs was, they stopped showing up

AA+ landscaping
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Not cleaning off driveways,walkways.etc.

procut
08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Number one complaint is most definatly problems with grass clippings not blown off, or not blown off well enough.

Number 2: Mowing too fast

Number 3: Cutting too high, I can think of only maybe once someone wanted it left longer, it's always, "Cut it shorter!"

That's really about all I can think of.

CLARK LAWN
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
only mowed every other pass, to fast, to high, not a real biz so you cant charge tax, you cause weeds in my lawn/beds, caused the leaves to fall to early, caused the annuals to die to soon, brown lawn after 6 weeks of 85+ degrees and no rain.

TJLANDS
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
No one mentioned tire marks, our number one complaint. As the ztrs get faster and with everyones need to mow faster many operators leave turn marks or tire marks.
Somebody had mentioned sprinkler heads, A mower will not damage a properly functioning sprinkler head, and we state that in our mowing contracts.

MarcSmith
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Somebody had mentioned sprinkler heads, A mower will not damage a properly functioning sprinkler head, and we state that in our mowing contracts.Agreed, but if a mower runs over a stuck pop-up, its much easier to replace the 6 dollar unit than argue with a client over it. The better approach would have been to notice the head before you ran over it, flag it and leave a note for the client that they have broken head..

Mowers is too big for the property
got dirt on my car
green stains on concrete from driving over wet grass

punt66
08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Agreed, but if a mower runs over a stuck pop-up, its much easier to replace the 6 dollar unit than argue with a client over it. The better approach would have been to notice the head before you ran over it, flag it and leave a note for the client that they have broken head..

Mowers is too big for the property
got dirt on my car
green stains on concrete from driving over wet grass

Thats all well and good but the 2 i have hit over the years were not popped up any higher then the lawn that i was cutting. Didnt see it until i saw it go under the mower. By that point i cant stop in time. Not our problem.

MarcSmith
08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I've done that as well cruising along...and boom.. there goes Mr rainbird... I still ate the cost..if the operator was paying attention or walked the area prior to cutting then chances are we would have seen it.. Mostof my properties had irrigation systems and in many cases we also monitored the irrigation system so it would've come back on me to fix anyhow...

BJWLAWNCARE
08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
You actually have time to walk through the lawn before you cut it. Wow that takes up a lot of time. It would be more cost effective to cut a few 6 dollar heads and fix them. LOL!

topsites
08-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Hate to break bad news but most of those risers are closer to $14 a piece and
then you still have to dig out the old one and screw in the new one and get the
homeowner to activate the system so you can adjust it.
It takes a good hour, between doing it right and making sure the homeowner is happy with the new rotor.

Lco's who FAIL to own up to their damages, then FAIL to fix it proper or worse yet charge the customer for it.
Are you kidding me, was I supposed to let the customer eat the $300 it cost me to replace the storm glass door
I broke with the trimmer and a rock?

PLS-Tx
08-10-2010, 12:52 AM
I've done that as well cruising along...and boom.. there goes Mr rainbird... I still ate the cost..if the operator was paying attention or walked the area prior to cutting then chances are we would have seen it.. Mostof my properties had irrigation systems and in many cases we also monitored the irrigation system so it would've come back on me to fix anyhow...

Walk the area prior to cutting????? You can't be serious.

shade tree landscaping
08-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Your guys came to early or to late!

Broken sprinklers, covered in seasonal agrement, i am NOT responsable for them!

polplow
08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
mowing in wet conditions

poncho62
08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Scalping...even though it is a stupid lump in their lawn........lol

ALLTERRAINLAWNS
08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. All of your answers are very interesting. The complaint I have heard most about, outside of this forum, was for trimming. Missing spots, too high or too low, but overwhelmingly people hated the scalping of the yard and the damage it caused for the grass for weeks to come. That and not doing very well around mulch beds.

Columbia Care
08-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Best complaint I had was that the way I was cutting her lawn, it made her grass grow too fast. If I could actually control the speed grass grows, I would be very wealthy.

MJS
08-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Mowing too high is one we hear a lot. . . This is at 2.5" to 3" usually - 90% of the accounts are tall fescue.

cgaengineer
08-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I had a complaint that I cut burnt fescue too low. I also missed a spot (about the size of a small car near a tree line, very thin and hard to see) on the same account and had to return to cut, my fault but a picky customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLM-1
08-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Not mowing short enough so the grass it too tall by the end of the week. Not mowing while it's raining/why are you mowing in the rain (from the same customer). Billing structure.

Why they hired me: Previous LCO didn't clean off clipping from hard surfaces. Clumpy yard. Clippings in beds. Black tire marks on hard surfaces. Damaged/dirty parked cars in lots. Mowing up trash instead of picking it up. I'm sure there's more...

Will P.C.
08-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I really only have one complaint that I hear.

"My yard it uneven and it scalped in places." 90 percent of the homes I do are fairly new construction (3-6years) with Bermuda Sod. The guys that laid the sod did not rope it off and realtors, constr workers, etc. walked all over the new sod making it terribly uneven in a few homes. For such expensive homes, I am amazed that the sob jobs could be this horrendous

I take the account owner out and walk the yard showing him the problem. It is usually resolved after this.

LouisianaLawnboy
08-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Too late, too early, too low, blowing off, edging